Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

R
Beginner May 2018

Money gifts acceptable in Scotland? How do you ask? How much on average?

RomanticBrownDiamonds829, 9 of May of 2017 at 00:40 Posted on Planning 0 9

Hello ladies,

This question might be strange, I hope not. My fiancé is Scottish and he tells me there it's not customary for family or guests to give money gifts at weddings. In Spain, weddings cost a fortune (restaurants hear the word "wedding" and the next thing you know, the cost starts at 3 figures per person and many places have a minimum of 60, 80 or 100 guests). No one in their right mind accepts an invitation to a wedding unless they're willing to cover at least their own meal and a little bit extra. The unwritten rule is a minimum of 150€/person (300€/couple). Not doing so is considered rude and "taking advantage" ("if you can't afford to go, decline").

Your close relatives would give you more money or pay for the dress, or even the entire banquet. In that case, you can use the money gifts from guests for your honeymoon, furnishing your house, etc. Not every family is the same of course but the system I describe is pretty standard.

Many wedding invitations contain bank accounts. It replaces the old system of putting money in envelopes and no one takes offence.

Many couples have already been living together for quite some time and the least they need is a toaster, a kettle, or 10. Not only do you already have all of that, but toasters do not pay wedding bills or more important things. Therefore, money is the answer.

Now, could you please tell me how this is addressed in the UK and particularly in Scotland? Is it true that it's completely out of the question to ask for money gifts? How do you raise the topic, how do people make these gifts (bank account provided in the invitation?) And how much is usually given, per person, if this is done at all?

Thank you very much in advance.

Sybil

9 replies

Latest activity by Byron, 12 of November of 2021 at 17:29
  • DreamsComeTrue2015
    Beginner July 2017
    DreamsComeTrue2015 ·
    • Hide content

I'm Scottish and we rarely give money at weddings. Of the weddings we've been to one couple asked for vouchers towards their honeymoon, another set up a page where we paid online towards their honeymoon, another had one of those money poems. Where there's been a choice or gifts hasn't been mentioned we've bought them something.

I hate giving money mainly because I get stressed about the expectation. I tend to spend £50 as standard unless it's very close friends or family and I worry that it might be seen as too little.

If I were you I'd do one of those money poem's. Google them and you'll get wording that works. It might be seen as 'grabby' or 'crass' by some people but most people will appreciate if you've been living together you won't need the traditional gifts. And they'll appreciate the direction as well - if it's money you want you're better off just saying that rather than letting your guests waste money on something you won't use.

It's your family and friends so you know them best. If they're likely to be offended by being asked to give money then don't put anything on the invitation and let people ask you directly.

• S
    Beginner September 2017
    Sorbet ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

its not her family and friends its her fiances, thats why she is asking

please dont do a money poem, just google the forums on money poems and see how dispised they are in fact many people claim they will deliberatly buy a toaster if they recieve a money poem... rudeness for rudeness

I would just accept its a mixed culture wedding, your culture will do its thing and your fiance will do theirs

• millbankandkent
    millbankandkent ·
    • Hide content

I would say the majority of couples these days ask for a cash gift towards a honeymoon or a large item they want for their house.

I do not see this in any way offensive. To me the most important thing is to give a gift that is really wanted, not what I think somebody wants.

What a waste to be bought items that you more than likely will not want or use.

Stick with asking for a cash gift if I was you.

• S
    Beginner September 2017
    SomethingBlue11 ·
    • Hide content

Don't do a poem!! I'm not Scottish or marrying there but if I received an invite with a money poem I would find it cringeworthy and rude!! Just ask outright. My fiancé and I are saying 'gifts are not expected as your presence is what's important to us, however if you do really want to give something then contributions to our honeymoon would be gratefully received'

Then leaving it up to them how they pay us. Cash in this card is fine for us.

• F
    Beginner June 2017
    FutureMrsTz ·
    • Hide content

I am English so not sure how it works in Scotland sorry, but we have asked for money. I would avoid doing a poem because personally I find it so cringey peoples wedding invitations when everything rhymes.

We just simply put that we didn't expect anyone to give us gifts, but if they really want to then we would like money so that we can put it towards decorating our house as its what we really want. I definitely wouldn't put your bank details on the wedding invite, think its putting too much pressure on people to make a contribution, nor would I state an amount. Some people have come to me in private to ask for bank details and also who cheques should be made out to, so people will find ways themselves to give you the money.

• DreamsComeTrue2015
    Beginner July 2017
    DreamsComeTrue2015 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah I know that. But he said it's not customary to give money at weddings. He knows his family and she knows hers. If they both think it would be inappropriate then don't do it. They can't say 'it's a Spanish tradition to give us loads of money' but a money poem thing might work for them.

It's cheesy and cringy but at least it's direct and let's both families know what they want. Long as it's not going to cause a fight then crack on.

• M
    Beginner September 2017
    MrsPtoB ·
    • Hide content

We're having a small wedding in Scotland. I'm Scottish, he is English. We are not asking for any gifts or money. It's mainly close family and each of our best friends and their partners/kids. They are all having to travel to attend our wedding and that for me is enough. I think it's a bit rude to ask for money and would never do it myself. I would only book the wedding based on what we can afford to pay for. Our wedding is small and is still costing around £8,000. If any guests ask about gifts we will be telling them a card and well wishes is enough.

• PadBin
    Rockstar July 2016
    PadBin ·
    • Hide content

We decided to not put any gift information on our invite but did say that could any cheques be made out to one or the other as we don't have a joint account. If people asked we said it was up to them but money would be great.

Most of our guests gave us money, cheques or gift cards and a few got us thoughtful gifts.

I think most couple/family give £20-£50 and wouldn't even think about paying for there food at the wedding.

A lot of people get offended about being asked for cash on an invite.

• R
    Beginner April 2018
    RomanticBlueCakes716 ·
    • Hide content

We are not putting any reference to gifts on our invites. Any wedding I've been to has done the same thing and the assumption is they want money, and I think most people of the younger generation think the same.

• Byron
    Perthshire
    Byron ·
    • Hide content
    Hello Sybil,
    I'm late on your wedding issue however
    I'm Scottish!!! and was amazed at the incorrect attitude on your reply's RE: Money Gifts!!! we are rated the most generous nation in the UK and yes we give money as most to be married couples already have homes fully furnished to there own choice. So it's simple bank transfer to the couple that way it's hassle free just dress up go and enjoy I do hope your wedding was a magical day for you

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics