Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

P
Beginner June 2015

money saving tips on drinks needed

Princess Bride 2013, 9 of March of 2015 at 14:08 Posted on Planning 0 13

Hi,

Anyone have any advice on how to keep our alcohol bill down to a minimum? We have to purchase all alcohol through our venue and to be honest the prices are extortionate! We need welcome drinks, drinks for meals and toasts. All ideas welcome Smiley smile

13 replies

Latest activity by laurafish, 11 of March of 2015 at 16:22
  • Daisy Bell
    Beginner August 2015
    Daisy Bell ·
    • Hide content

We are considering doing Pimms for the drinks reception. That makes drinks cheaper and is also a nice change from the usual champagne / prosecco. We'd still have prosecco for the arrival of the guests and champagne for the toast.

• C
    Beginner July 2015
    celticcurl ·
    • Hide content

You don't NEED any of these things you WANT them. What you have to decide is if you want them more than you want other things. I have been to weddings where no drinks were provided and I still managed to have a lovely time.

• P
    Beginner June 2015
    Princess Bride 2013 ·
    • Hide content

I meant I NEED 'ideas' for welcome drinks etc. We want drinks Smiley smile

• T
    Beginner May 2015
    trewsie ·
    • Hide content

Mimosa rather than straight champagne/prosecco?

Could always mix it up with different juices rather than just orange.

• M
    Beginner October 2015
    misslynx ·
    • Hide content

Try seeing if the price of spirits would be less? G&T anyone?

Or go for hot chocolate if getting married in winter, pimms for summer - or maybe a punch would keep down costs?

• H
    Beginner July 2016
    HeavyMetalMaiden ·
    • Hide content

Things that can be mixed in large quantities may be a good option, like punches, cocktails and the already suggested pimms :-) could you do something like bucks fizz or wine spritzers for the welcome drinks?

• S
    Beginner June 2015
    Scottish_Sarah ·
    • Hide content

Like the others have said not having bubbles as welcome drinks - if I'm honest I actually don't like it and know quite a few people who are the same. I would much prefer a cocktail or pimms and save the bubbles for toasts.

As for drinks with meals work out how many you have and what people are likely to drink - we have allowed half a bottle per person which is 2-3 glasses per person (our glasses are small). Some venues can charge you per bottle then if people don't drink it take back full untouched bottles and still charge you! This has actually happened to 3 separate friends - 2 of which got money back but something to be careful of.

You could work on 1 bottle between 3 therefore reducing the number needed.

• BubbleBees
    Beginner August 2015
    BubbleBees ·
    • Hide content

For welcome drinks I'd go with Pimms in Summer, fruity punch in Autumn, Mulled Wine in Winter, Gin & Elderflower spritzer in spring (gin, elderflower cordial and sparkling water).

What my brother did was to allow for one large glass of wine per guest (red white or rose) with the meal and prosecco for the toast - guests were free to order additional wine from the wine list at their own expense. We're being a bit more generous than that and allowing for half a bottle per person with the meal but that's included in the package. After that guests can buy their own. We're also providing prosecco.

• AKWedding
    Beginner August 2015
    AKWedding ·
    • Hide content

We have guests who are tee-total which means we have been able to save on the drinks bill. Going for a mixture of Pimms, fresh OJ and a non-alcoholic cocktail for welcome drinks. We are saving the Prosecco for the toast drinks.

• snow bride
    Beginner June 2016
    snow bride ·
    • Hide content

We arnt providing alcohol! Kept it much cheaper.

Were having 'vintage' style drinks for the drinks reception (cream soda, ginger beer, pink lemonade) and then we're making a fruity (non alcoholic) fizz for the toast :-)

So much cheaper!!!

• pink & glitz
    Beginner August 2014
    pink & glitz ·
    • Hide content

Put wine on each table, for instance 3 bottles (red, white, rose) as that way you will know exactly how much you are spending. Once that's finished people will know that they have to buy their own drinks...dont spend money you don't have x

• DreamsComeTrue2015
    Beginner July 2017
    DreamsComeTrue2015 ·
    • Hide content

Does your venue not have a drinks package? They ususally hav a per person price that can be cheaper than having to order bottles.

Another vote for cocktails. Buy a couple of bottles of the spirits from them and a few cartons of fruit juice and serve that way. My friend did this and it cost way less than the drinks package. Plus it's fun! They made up their cocktail so it's also a nice reminder of their day. Another bonus is you can see how much is being used and if there's anything left over you can either take it with you (if they are licensed to let you do it) or drink it later in the evening.

• P
    Beginner June 2015
    Princess Bride 2013 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the ideas ladies!

We get married on the 6th June this year so I think punch would work well for welcome drinks, we also love cocktails so that would be nice too??

We will prob go down the route of bucks fizz for tables and toast.

• laurafish
    Beginner July 2016
    laurafish ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is what we're doing. We're also going for pimms as the reception drink.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics