Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

R
Beginner August 2008

Money/Vouchers instead of Gift list

Rosco, 7 June, 2009 at 12:26 Posted on Planning 0 18

Hi,

We aren't having a gift list, as we are not kitting out a new home and we wouldn't have anywhere to put things. We have decided to just go for Money/Vouchers, then we can use it on what we like. I've seen that some people have written a brief poem to include in their invites which explains this, but I don't think I really want a poem. Is it really necessary to explain this in the form of a poem?? surey people won't be offended or embarrassed if you ask for money/vouchers instead of gifts, because you'd know the value of any gift (from a giflist) they give you anyway.

Thanks?

18 replies

Latest activity by teeheeyoucrazyguys!, 7 June, 2009 at 22:43
  • teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

Are you gonna tell her or will I ???????

ps; We have ASKED for vouchers.

• Houdini
    Beginner August 2010
    Houdini ·
    • Hide content

Go on Teehee...

• teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

Well theres no other way to say this but;

Poems asking for money or vouchers are a really sh!t idea. Oh and naff.

• Houdini
    Beginner August 2010
    Houdini ·
    • Hide content

And cringeworthy when you receive them!

Just ask!

• bridgetvictoria
    Beginner April 2010
    bridgetvictoria ·
    • Hide content

STEP AWAY FROM THE POETRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A simple sentence saying 'If you would like to give us a gift, we would really appreciate vouchers from ~~~~~~~~~ which we will put towards ########' is enough.

In my personal opinion x

• R
    Beginner August 2008
    Rosco ·
    • Hide content

Good, thats what I thought aswell ?

also, dont want to be so specific as to say vouchers, as we would equally welcome money

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content

WTS, no poetry just short and to the point is a far better way of doing it,

I also think you need to take into account people can be funny about giving money unless they know what its going towards. If you're not specific you may end up with lots of vouchers from different shops rather than money.

Have you thought about a honeymoon gift instead? there are honeymoons where people can put money towards an activity you want to do, for example mr delicious' cousins asked for vouchers towards things like kayaking, horse riding, a tennis lesson etc, or give you vouchers and you can claim back some of the money spent on the honeymoon. i know Thomas Cook is one company that can do this.

• R
    Beginner August 2008
    Rosco ·
    • Hide content

Thomas Cook sounds good. So if we have already booked and paid for our honeymoon in full, then we could used the vouchers to claim back some money?

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content

Mmmm thats a good question i don't know the answer to. i would check that out with thomas cook really. I'm not 100% sure how it works, whether you can do it after booking, or if you have to specify it at time of booking but the honeymoon has to be booked with thomas cook.

Sorry i can't be more help.

• R
    Beginner August 2008
    Rosco ·
    • Hide content

I've had a look at the Thomas Cook website and this is what is says below.. (basically you need to book the holiday with a credit/debit card, then send them the vouchers and they will refund the cash value of the vouchers to your credit/debit card account. You have up to 14 days after your departure date to get the vouchers back to them. This is good for us as we are going on honeymoon 2 days after the wedding, so any vouchers we get on the wedding day can be sent to Thomas Cook by special delivery the next day, and then Thomas Cook will easily recive them within 14 days of our departure date) -

"Your vouchers cannot be used to purchase the following: Foreign Exchange, Travellers Cheque's.

Any initial payment for booking online via Thomas Cook.com or over the phone with Thomas Cook Direct must be made using a valid credit or debit card issued in the UK.

Once we have received the vouchers, the value will be applied to the booking and any refund that needs to be made will be processed back to the card used for the original payment.

Simply book and pay in the normal way using a credit or debit card.

Then send in your vouchers (by Special Delivery) with your booking details to the following address:

Thomas Cook Direct Accounts

Aldermanbury

2-4 Godwin Street

Bradford

West Yorkshire

BD1 2ST

Once the vouchers have been verified, the relevant amount will be refunded back to your card. You must post them using an insured postal service as we cannot accept liability for vouchers lost in the post .

Vouchers recieved 14 days after your departure date will not be accepted.

Please note: Flythomascook.com do not currently accept World Wide Travel Vouchers as payment towards any booking made on their website.

You can also use your vouchers towards the balance of your holiday booked online, by sending them to the above address."

• R
    Beginner August 2008
    Rosco ·
    • Hide content

I've had a look at the Thomas Cook website and this is what is says below.. (basically you need to book the holiday with a credit/debit card, then send them the vouchers and they will refund the cash value of the vouchers to your credit/debit card account. You have up to 14 days after your departure date to get the vouchers back to them. This is good for us as we are going on honeymoon 2 days after the wedding, so any vouchers we get on the wedding day can be sent to Thomas Cook by special delivery the next day, and then Thomas Cook will easily recive them within 14 days of our departure date) -

"Your vouchers cannot be used to purchase the following: Foreign Exchange, Travellers Cheque's.

Any initial payment for booking online via Thomas Cook.com or over the phone with Thomas Cook Direct must be made using a valid credit or debit card issued in the UK.

Once we have received the vouchers, the value will be applied to the booking and any refund that needs to be made will be processed back to the card used for the original payment.

Simply book and pay in the normal way using a credit or debit card.

Then send in your vouchers (by Special Delivery) with your booking details to the following address:

Thomas Cook Direct Accounts

Aldermanbury

2-4 Godwin Street

Bradford

West Yorkshire

BD1 2ST

Once the vouchers have been verified, the relevant amount will be refunded back to your card. You must post them using an insured postal service as we cannot accept liability for vouchers lost in the post .

Vouchers recieved 14 days after your departure date will not be accepted.

Please note: Flythomascook.com do not currently accept World Wide Travel Vouchers as payment towards any booking made on their website.

You can also use your vouchers towards the balance of your holiday booked online, by sending them to the above address."

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content

Not too bad then!

Mr delicious and i are thinking of doing something similar, and maybe having a list with other options for vouchers/more traditional gifts too. I know when my own cousins got married they had both honeymoon vouchers and traditional gifts on the list and my parents chose to buy something traditional for their new house as they didnt like the idea of money just being swallowed up in their honeymoon. it all comes down to personal choice of what you would give the couple.

• R
    Beginner August 2008
    Rosco ·
    • Hide content

An advantage of the Thomas Cook vouchers is that although they are initially holiday vouchers (so people have an idea what their gift is going towards), if the money is ultimately creditted back into your bank account once you send the vouchers to Thomas Cook, then they money Thomas Cook credit back to you can be used for anything

• Bridget Gump
    Bridget Gump ·
    • Hide content

As a guest, I find it easiest to give cash or vouchers. Do specify where you want the vouchers for though/

I think you get the picture re the poems, and I agree wityh whoever said that some people prefer to know where the money is going on. So if you plan to spend it on doing your garden, for example, then put that in.

We've put together a very small gift list and when people ask if there's anything else we tell them if it's easier to give us cash to do that.

• Katie V
    Katie V ·
    • Hide content

You could use a website like this one too: https://www.buy-our-honeymoon.com/honeymoon-fund

Friends of mine got married recently and this is what they used (I'm not endorsing this as a HIB, just that I thought the site looked good when I used it for my friends!) Anyway, they were a big list of things that you could buy for them: meals out; a night at a cocktail bar on the beach; paragliding & other advetures etc. Basically I believe it works like thsi but the site explains it fully, they booked their honeymoon & booked all of the trips, and then give an explanation of the trips on the site. The guests then pay for the gift & the money goes to them directly. Then when they do the paragliding they know that Joe Bloggs has paid for it. Personally I'd shoot Joe Bloggs - paragliding is not my idea of fun!!!

Hope this helps

Katie

• R
    Beginner August 2008
    Rosco ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for your advice and thoughts everyone ?

• Weather Girl
    Beginner October 2009
    Weather Girl ·
    • Hide content

We decided that we wouldn't have a gift list because a) we've been living together a while and don't really need anything and b) we don't really agree with them. We have therefore not mentioned to anyone about anything to do with gifts on the basis that IF people would like to get us something then they'll ask whether there's a gift list or not. We have had a few people ask and we've just said that we're not asking people to get us anything but if they feel that they'd like to then vouchers for the home would be very much appreciated.

OH's family have mentioned that they might all put a little towards our honeymoon, which would be really lovely.

• teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

We are the same as december, phew!! Everyones thought we were odd for not having a list and we didnt state on the invitations. People have asked our mothers and they have said Vouchers and we gave a list of various shops (mostly home style stores). Just wish the couple who gave us that candle had considered the vouchers, lolol.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics