Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

E
Beginner June 2013

Moodboard has made me doubt my wedding colours :(:(:(:(

Emotionalwreck2013, 22 February, 2012 at 09:49 Posted on Planning 0 20

Hello all,

Firstly I would just like to point out that I am the most uncreative person EVER - when I first got engaged (last june) I was certain I wanted an orange and green wedding. Then when I started looking at things I found it very difficult to find BM dresses in a nice orange. So I swapped the orange for coral.

I absolutely LOVE these dresses and all the BM's like them too. I still wanted orange to be involved in

Then I went to my reception venue and the only colour the lady had for the bows on the chairs were orange... which has thrown me off guard a little.

I dont think the coral dresses will look right with orange?? I will be having martini vases filled with gel beads, water and a gerbera head (not sure on colour yet)

I would also like to point out that the flower girls will be wearing ivory aswell as myself, the groom and best man/ushers will be wearing grey suits with ivory waist coat etc... and we are also having a slight new york theme - not too much, little things like table names after our favourite places, the favours will be...
The heart will be changed to a different colour (i was thinking orange) and each one will come with a apple shaped tag with the guests name (doubled up as name tags)

This is the cake, but again the apples will be changed to green.

I really dont like this all together. Does anyone have any suggestions please? I need to keep the BM dresses within £100 and I dont like many other colours. I didnt want pink dresses as so many people have this colour, I was thinking grey/silver but my sister in law is having that colour.

It is so difficult picturing it all together. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME!! Smiley smile

20 replies

Latest activity by Susiegirl1984, 27 February, 2012 at 11:58
  • Cilla
    Beginner April 2012
    Cilla ·
    • Hide content

I'm having an orange and green wedding and like you couldn't find nice orange bridesmaids dresses so went with sage green instead.

Here's my mood board as an idea

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

Having a colour scheme doesn't mean everything has to match perfectly. I don't really even have a colour scheme!

Instead of orange sashes, which I think will look not quite right, maybe consider apple green, ivory or even gold or silver. Think of colours that compliment your chosen coral, I think it will look even better than a single-colour-everything-must-be-exactly-the-same-shade wedding.

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

I think everything on your mood board works, with the exception of the orange sashes.

I would maybe go for green or ivory for those and use the flowers for the splash of orange.

Less is more and I think varying shades of orange and coral would flow better than all matchy matchy.

• IshouldCoco
    Beginner September 2012
    IshouldCoco ·
    • Hide content

Ok, don't panic, it's not awful, I really like it!

How about getting the theme a little more together though. Instead of gel filled vases why not go for a wide vase with fresh green apples in or martini glass centrepeices to tie in with your NYC theme.

Also what colour is the floor of your venue? If it's navy like the pic, I think green sashes instead of the orange might be better.

Did you buy your BM dresses yet? If you go on the chinese sale dress sites they give any colour as an option so you could ditch the coral and stick to orange/green theme.

http://www.dailyshop.com/Empire-Bridesmaid/currency-GBP.html

• L
    Beginner April 2012
    LEMBS8 ·
    • Hide content

I like everything together except the orange chair cover ribbons. Can you hire others in ivory or a pinky coral from somewhere else? Or make your own? You could then change the hearts on the biscuits to pinky coral. Where else were you going to have orange? The flowers seem to go fine with the dresses, unless the colour is more orange than it looks on here.

A sage green would work or you could go with a pale yellow. Another option might be black. I know some people aren't a big fan of that but you do have some hints of black with the ribbon on the cake and the biscuits - it might bring in the NY theme a bit more - and black goes with everything! If you don't want to go all black, what about a patterned dress? These are all from Debenhams.

• lurvlytwink
    Beginner June 2012
    lurvlytwink ·
    • Hide content

Oh i was going to say i wasnt sure about the sashes or the black. the black looks a bit lost.

if you wanted to make it more of a colour then you could do the dresses/sashes.

i think the coral and the green are nice but the orange is a clash

• E
    Beginner June 2013
    Emotionalwreck2013 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you so much ladies!

I think you are all right, the orange just does not go very well. I have managed to find someone else that does chair covers, so I am going to see if they have the green I want or a coral pink colour... I think I will just stick to the orange in the flowers.

But do you think the coral and green go nice together?

Unfortunately I am not a big fan of black BM dresses, I like bright colours!

My fiance suggested we had silver for the bows on the chairs but I think thats too boring haha!

The flooring of my venue is just wooden flooring so I am very lucky I dont have to match my colours around that. I am also having someone come in and hang ivory drapes and fairy lights over the walls so you cant see the coloured/stained walls.

IshouldCoco - filled vases with apples was my first thing I fell in love with but I was struggling to find ones that still looked pretty - Martini glasses is my current option.

• Shamy
    Beginner September 2014
    Shamy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This. Great idea. Also agree with previous posters - ditch the orange chair sashes. Yes they come provided but to me they seem to be the thing throwing the rest of your scheme out. It's worth paying to bring in your own for the peace of mind alone, and easier than trying to find new BM dresses IMO.

I actually agree that the black looks slightly out of place (nothing against it - it's in my colour scheme). If you're ditching the red from the favours, you may as well get rid of the black too.

Good luck. Everything will come together, you'll see ?

• SWEETPEA23
    SWEETPEA23 ·
    • Hide content

Colours don't need to match perfectly, however when you have more than one shade of the same colour, they do need to be the same tone (lighter or darker) to look right. So I feel that sadly coral will not go with the bright orange seat bows, green apples and red & black favours.

Some idea to help you start again...

SAGE / MINT - A beautiful colour that could sit nicely with any other level of green on your cake or in your bouquet, and the chair backs could be ivory / white (Bridesmaids in this image have burst orange flowers in their bouquets)

Marks and Spencer have two pretty sage coloured dresses in their current bridesmaid range and all dresses are under £99 - have a look at there online wedding shop (www.marksandspencer.com)

[View:http://www.marksandspencer.com/Bridesmaid-Dresses-Wedding-Shop/b/210709031?ie=UTF8&pf_rd_r=1V81CFB9KAJJM24GAX3D&pf_rd_m=A2BO0OYVBKIQJM&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B006W32JQW&pf_rd_p=470877813&pf_rd_s=global-top-10:550:0]

RED & WHITE - New York themed wedding. A bold look that could look really wonderful with your 'I love NY' favours. You could ask to have red chair bows or buy red and white striped fabric to be used instead. Bridesmaid could be in red

Have a look at Monsoon's red pleated dress for £75

YELLOW & IVORY - Taxi themed wedding. Yellow is a very on trend wedding colour and could look really great with your big apple themed cake. Bridesmaids colour be yellow or sage green, and chair back could be ivory or pale yellow.

Have a look at Monsoon's pretty yellow dress for £75

• E
    Beginner June 2013
    Emotionalwreck2013 ·
    • Hide content

The favours arent going to be red, the heart will get changed to a colour that matches the wedding, so probably coral or green.

Thank you very much for your help but unfortunately red is my worst colour, I really dont like it. I dont really want the wedding planned around the new york theme - this might not be the way to do it but i want bright vibrant colours with touches of new york throughout the day.

The more I look at sage green chair bows the more I realise that it does look nice with the coral - my venue did have sage green bows but I didnt really see them around the chairs properly... or ill just buy my own bows with the exact apple green that I like.

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

Does this help?? I think the green with flashes of coral and orange will work really well. the NY touches don't have to be much, just little hints in the stationery and favours etc. will be enough.

• E
    Beginner June 2013
    Emotionalwreck2013 ·
    • Hide content

OH MY GOD - I LOVE YOU!!!!

Thank you so so much Mrs C! ?

Those apple centrepieces are exactly the ones I fell in love with at the beginning. I am going to have to play around with them so I get them exactly right.

You have made my day - Panic over ??

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

Glad to have been of assistance!! ?

• IshouldCoco
    Beginner September 2012
    IshouldCoco ·
    • Hide content

How are the picture boards done?

I wannnnt one!

*Shrieked like Verruca Salt*

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I do mine in powerpoint, copy and paste from google images then save as a jpeg.

• IshouldCoco
    Beginner September 2012
    IshouldCoco ·
    • Hide content

Do I have to download something for that to my laptop?

Just Googled it, but loads of Microsoft options came up ?

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

Powerpoint is a Microsoft Office programme...

You could do the same thing in Paint?

• IshouldCoco
    Beginner September 2012
    IshouldCoco ·
    • Hide content

What do Vaio's have? Mmmm l'll have a play round now.

Thank you ️⭐️

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Office software is purchasable for all PCs and laptops, some come with it, some you have to buy it as an extra.

Often you will get a "home" version of Word and Excel, Works I think it is called.

• L
    Beginner April 2012
    LEMBS8 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Linnie - Saw this dress today on Debenhams and thought of you! Have you bought the BM dresses? If not, this is very similar to the coral one and it's orange!

http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10001_10001_008010626714_-1?breadcrumb=Home%7EWomen

Hope all is well!

• S
    Beginner August 2014
    Susiegirl1984 ·
    • Hide content

Just thought I'd mention that i think orange and coral go really well together for a lovely summery feel. Personally I would have most things in white and coral, but with a few splashes of orange.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics