Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

(Claire)
Beginner July 2011

Moonpig Cards

(Claire), 13 of March of 2012 at 14:48 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 46

What are your thoughts? I really dislike the cards, to me it says here is a card because I'm to lazy to go to a shop and choose one the old fashioned way. If ever H got me one I woud hit him over the head with it! No offence to all the Monnpig lovers out there but I think they're rubbish. I hate the advert too!

46 replies

Latest activity by Nutella, 13 of March of 2012 at 17:12
  • T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content

I always use Moonpig!?

I like being able to write my own words in it rather than the sloppy shite that are in normal cards. I also like that I can add photos.

• (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

When you order do you have the card delivered direct to whoever your sending the card to? Or do you have it delivered to you first so you can write in it and then send it?

• Canary
    Beginner August 2013
    Canary ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This.

I think they are a lot more personable and I think the range is much better than normal card shops. Plus it takes me a lot more time and energy picking out a moonpig card than a normal one!

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It depends. Sometimes I send direct and sometimes I have it delivered to me so I can hand deliver. It all depends on how much time I have.

Like CB says, it's not a lazy option and I actually put a lot of thought into which card I pick and design.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This for me too.

I wouldn't use them for a wedding card but I definitely use them for birthday cards. If I have time I get them sent to me but otherwise I send them direct.

It's great for my dad in Oz as I'm always forgetting about his birthday until a few days before - Moonpig have a distribution centre in Australia so they only take two days rather than the 8 it normally takes from here.

I wouldn't be at all annoyed if OH bought be one from there.

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

my sister got me one fo these for my birthday..i thought the very same ?

i actually like them, i generally always get them delivered to me so i can hand write them but like the personalisation you can do!!

• (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content

Can it be personable if it's not even passed through your hands and has a typed message in it?

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

I use them a lot, but always get them sent to me rather than the person.

I like being able to personalise the cards.

Oh and I no longer use Moonpig as Funky Pigeon have free delivery!

• Missus S
    Missus S ·
    • Hide content

Cos i live away sometimes its easier to go online and choose and get it sent straight to my nan for example, so in that instance i use them.

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

The kind of cards I really hate (possible "annoy some people" alert) are the ones that friends send with a photograph of their children on. I always get one at Christmas and I'm not actually interested in your little darlings. give me a cheery Christmas Robin any day!

And I HATE the Moonpig adverts.

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

I like the personalised cards, we use Funky Pigeon rather than Moonpig (no real reason, got a free one once and kept using it). I don't use the cards with photos.

For most 'normal' birthdays I have a stash of birthday cards from the Card Factory, so I just use FP for 'special' birthdays (18, 21, 30 etc) and sometimes for things like Mother's Day.

I don't see it as any more 'lazy' because firstly you have to choose a card from a much bigger selection than you get in real shops, and secondly you personalise the front. I am organised enough to have a stash of birthday cards so don't need to go to the shops for every birthday, hence am making more of an effort for each FP card.

If I have left enough time I'll get it sent to me so I can hand-write the inside. You have to know your target market though. My dad doesn't understand the FP cards and gets excited that the words inside are printed, so for him I get them sent directly to him!

• celticgoddess
    Beginner March 2012
    celticgoddess ·
    • Hide content

Ive used them loads of times. I think they're great fun.

I have a particular favourite photo of me with my eldest daughter and my mum on Christmas Day a few years ago. We are wearing deeley boppers and making stupid faces and I have used it for a few cards for my mum. It always makes me laugh as we look soooooo stupid! (its even on her calendar this year!)

Dont ask for a flash!

• Canary
    Beginner August 2013
    Canary ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I kinda get the bit about the text but for me, if I bought a card in a shop, it would probably sit in my bag for a week, then sit on my desk for a week then back in my bag until I finally remember to send it. A lot more personable than no card! ?

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

I make all my own cards so never buy/use Moonpig, though my OH bought me one for my birthday this year.

It was a complete cop-out because he got an "I Love You" card and the message inside said "Have a great birthday and Valentine's day." I didn't even notice that it had my name on the front. Oops.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Do they?! Interesting. I got a great personalised notebook from Funky Pigeon.

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I may have to check out Funky Pigeon.

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

what you do in your own time missus is your own business?

• Vanilla Pod
    Beginner September 2011
    Vanilla Pod ·
    • Hide content

I use them a lot, as Trickers says it actually takes quite a while to "make" the card so its a lot more personal if anything, as a lot of thought goes into it. They are fun and my Mum, especially gets really excited when she gets one and it says all these personal things on the front about her! This time it has a wedding photo of me and her that that I know she loves and lots of soppy stuff, I know she will love it! I got H one for his 30th and he got a bit choked up!

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

I LOVE moonpig. I always get my cards from them. They always come back to me then I write them myself, and then send them to their recipient.

The cards in the shops are so monotonous these days (haven't they always?!). There is no deifference between spending time choosing one online and standing choosing one in the middle of Tescos with a bag of carrots in the other hand. In fact it's almost more thoughtful because:

1. You have remembered a week in advance

2. Chosen and taken time to think of a witty way to personalise it

3. Hand written it also

Mine are normally very apt for the person and make them smile or laugh their socks off. My mother's day ones are awesome!

• Mrs Bass
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs Bass ·
    • Hide content

I disagree with this, i find it quite time consuming going throught them all! ?

my best friend always uses moon pig and i love that they are personalised with our names in the joke. when we got engaged she sent us one like a magazine cover, it must have taken her ages to get all the photos and and come up with the 'headlines'

ive used them a couple of times (and funky pigeon) but the majority of the time i go to paperchase or the SU shop her at work has a good collection! we have a card shop in town called Scribbler which has hilarious cards, i can spend ages reading through them all!

Having said that I hate the adverts for both Moonpig and Funky Pigeon!

I would always get them delivered to me so i can write a personal message in.

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

I've never used either site - so you can personalise the outside yourself, get it sent to you then you can write in it like a normal bought card? What about the envelope, does it not already have your name and address on it?

I can see the point about it taking longer to choose and personalise than a shop bought card, but I think it's relative to effort put in to go to a card shop, choose one etc. with time to write and post, rather than doing it online the day before, regardless of how much time it takes to do.

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

Getting to a card shop isn't always that straightforward, I hate going in to town and my supermarket cards are rubbish!

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

If you get the card sent back to you, they include a fresh matching envelope for you to write on with the recipients name/address.

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hence why going to the card shop is much more physical effort than doing it online, you've got to plan in advance etc. when you'll be in town at decent card shop!

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You still have to plan in advance to do it online... the thought process is still there, just without the car parking and shoppers to contend with! If I was to buy birthday cards in town I would have to get at least 6 months worth in advance and would probably lose them before the actual day!

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

I use them (Moonpig/Funky Pigeon) quite a lot. We have a limited choice of card shops where I live, so I'd rather spend the time and choose something personal/apt to the person I'm buying for, rather than pick up a generic card in Clintons.

I don't think it's lazy at all. Ok, I don't physically have to get up from my desk, but I will actually spend more time scrolling through the cards to choose something suitable than I would if I was in a shop. I've quite often bought them for wedding cards, where I can put the couple's name on the front, or "Mr & Mrs ..."

I'll always get them delivered to me and always write a personal message in them. I use the pre-printed "Happy Birthday" or "Happy Wedding Day" etc but add a personal message and sign it myself.

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

I suppose I don't have much to add to that as I never use either card shops or websites as I make my own cards as a hobby - Mrs C you are a creative sort, you should make cards - they'd be great!

This is one I've sent this week - more time and thought have gone into it than either a shop bought / online card. Ends up costing a lot more too, but it's a hobby, so i disregard the cost somewhat!

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

ive not recieved it yet, whe did you post ?

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

When I have the space to keep it all I may well do... I am already in trouble for having too much "stuff"!!! ?

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Damn Royal Mail!!! The Flow's cakeshop card you put on FB - was that a moonpig card, do I have to eat my words!!?

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

yes, yes you do!! twas fab wasnt it!!!!! and very personal, and lots fo time went into it so EAT>YOUR>WORDS!!!

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

I love personalised cards but hate things like Moonpig and Funky Pigeon. I have a friend who makes greetings cards and they're just beautiful. She puts photos in if you want and designs each one exactly as you ask, but it's still only £3 - £4 a go.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics