Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

InkedDoll
VIP January 2015

Most Overdone Wedding Trends

InkedDoll, 23 of April of 2014 at 12:12 Posted on Planning 0 99

So there is a thread on the wonderful (albeit very snarky) getoffmyinternets.net at the moment discussing the worst or most overdone wedding trends. Here are some of the things that have made the list - what do people think? Who's having/had any of these...? (note, these are direct quotes, not my opinions!)

Mason jars

"As two families become one, we ask that you choose a seat and not a side." signs

Macaroons

Chalkboard signs

Cupcakes (or another individual dessert item) instead of cake

Everything looking like it's in a barn

Photos where the bride and groom hold up signs that say things like "Happily Ever After!"

Fedoras and hipster bowties on the groom and groomsmen

Converse as a shoe choice for the groomsmen

Toms as a shoe choice for the bridal party after they ditch their heels

"Love is sweet, take a treat!" candy bar or dessert table banners

Intricate photo booth backdrops

Cowboy boots

Super personalized and overly elaborate wedding favors. I don’t care that you stayed up the last 8 nights making salsa in adorable customized jars—I can’t take that *** back with me on a plane.

dogs with floral collars being used as the "ring bearer".

Disney-themed weddings

llittle kids holding "Here comes the bride" signs

Flower crowns

Bunting

French nail tips

Naming your tables after places you went on dates or whatever

those really tall floral arrangements and the crystals dripping from everything and the over-the-top colored lighting all over the place

making your guests use Instagram hashtags like you're a celebrity

Choreographed dances

strapless wedding gowns – they all look the same, they aren't flattering and they are often not appropriate for daytime wear or for church

the giant picture frames couples hold while posing for photos

99 replies

Latest activity by ClaireD*, 24 of April of 2014 at 20:29
  • CrazyRatLady
    Expert September 2014
    CrazyRatLady ·
    • Hide content

I can safely say we are not having anything from that list, our wedding is as untraditional as we can make it!

Shabby chic wedding stuff seems to be in abundance everywhere we look (lots of wooden cream things, wicker hearts and birdcages). No offence to anyone having this of course but really not my taste.

• ShropshireLass
    Beginner April 2014
    ShropshireLass ·
    • Hide content

Looking down that list, we had nothing on there for our wedding! Nice to know we had a non 'over-done' wedding!

Each to their own though Smiley smile There are no rules when it comes to wedding planning, just personal preference!

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

Oh my, I have a strapless dress and will now be inappropriate. Whatever shall I do? ? Lol, your wedding is what you want it to be and while some things may be seen at a lot of weddings, they really are just that lots of people have the same taste.

I hate lists like these because they almost seem designed to make people feel bad about their weddings - whether you have one thing on this list or all of them - who cares!!!

• Foo
    Beginner June 2014
    Foo ·
    • Hide content

Is it a US site? Some of them I don't recognise (fedoras, cowboy boots, crystals etc) but there are loads there that I agree with. I would also add 'vintage theme' weddings (wtf does that actually mean? ?).

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

It is a US based site but there are contributors there from different countries. I agree that some of the things on that list are probably a lot more common in America than here. But I'm probably wearing cowboy boots to mine...

• bliss_balloons
    bliss_balloons ·
    • Hide content

I've been to lots of weddings lately and not seen any of those things. I don't think it's over done, it's just whats in fashion at the moment. Things become popular because a lot of people like them, what's wrong with that?

• Chris Giles Photography
    Chris Giles Photography ·
    • Hide content

Nice to see Dinosaurs aren't in that list.

'dogs with floral collars being used as the "ring bearer"... now wait just one second......

• W
    Beginner December 2014
    WinterBride14 ·
    • Hide content

I guess some of these items might be overdone however, if you've not been married before or havent ever done any of the things on the list, who's to say its wrong!

Each wedding is different no matter what 'theme' is running through it.

It would be interesting to see the wedding that whoever put this list together would plan!

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

I've seen a couple of shoots with dogs as ring bearer. I think it's cute, but I'm a sucker for pretty much any and all dogs. Gretna Green offer a barn owl called Barney to swoop in bearing the rings, and perch on the groom's finger if they want. My H2B got a bit obsessed with this and regularly mimics calling Barney in with our rings, in a terrible overdone Scottish accent. Big birds freak me out a bit - I had to say a very firm no to that Smiley smile

• A
    Beginner February 2015
    auntiejo1 ·
    • Hide content

Eeek - im guilty of having a strapless dress and cupcakes..... shame on me :o)

• cantwait2bmrsj
    Beginner September 2014
    cantwait2bmrsj ·
    • Hide content

Oh dear we're having about half of these things! I blame pinterest lol

• meandmrjones2014
    Beginner March 2014
    meandmrjones2014 ·
    • Hide content

I had a good few these at our wedding and in our eyes it was perfect Smiley smile

• mooshy
    Beginner April 2014
    mooshy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Damn, I have this ? it was an epic first date though so I don't care!

• IGB2B
    Beginner May 2014
    IGB2B ·
    • Hide content

My dog will be at our wedding, but he's wearing a kilt and isn't a ring bearer. Phew!

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Lots of posters in the thread were blaming pinterest for the things they'd added to the list! I have used pinterest loads to pin my own ideas, but I've actually never looked at any other boards. I think I've kind of had ideas in my head and haven't yet needed inspiration, but maybe when we plan the reception I will.

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I don't get this. it's like it's trying to be a poem and not succeeding?

We, on the other hand, are having the beautifully poetic "choose a seat, not a side, either way it's for the bride." sign. ?

• C
    Beginner October 2014
    corr1ne ·
    • Hide content

'Everything looking like it's in a barn' ... well that will be because our wedding will be in a barn. Can't do much about that ?

• cinnamon009
    Beginner December 2014
    cinnamon009 ·
    • Hide content

I do have to laugh at these lists because until you start planning a wedding - or have lots of friends getting married around the same time - you have no idea they exist. So either some people are wedding crashers going round to loads of weddings - or have recently planned their own wedding or suppliers to weddings.

We don't have big families and most of our friends 'live in sin' so whatever we do for ours most will never have seen before. I'm not having much off the list (sweetie table, a thank you banner for a photo for the thank you cards) but I wouldn't care if random strangers thought my choices were 'over done'. Well its a good job you're not invited then lol.

Being unique doesn't mean its better, its just different to someone's own taste.

• Icklefee
    Super May 2014
    Icklefee ·
    • Hide content

Better cancel my barn venue then and rethink my dress

• B
    Bruce Neville Photography ·
    • Hide content

Oh no not more lists?

• D
    Beginner April 2014
    DaisyDot ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

HE'S WEARING A KILT?! AMAZING!! Cannot wait to see a picture!!! xx

• BlossomJ
    Beginner July 2014
    BlossomJ ·
    • Hide content

The only thing we're having is I've got a strapless dress!

Not because we're "too cool" though, it's because we haven't had the budget to have extra bits haha

I actually like a lot of what is on there!

• CrazyRatLady
    Expert September 2014
    CrazyRatLady ·
    • Hide content

I really wanted our 3 rats as ring bearers. The venue wasn't too keen ☹️

• DrBuffles
    Beginner August 2014
    DrBuffles ·
    • Hide content

Oops, we are having a 'pick a seat not a side' sign and also a hashtag. ?

• Forever Wedding Dance
    Rockstar September 2013
    Forever Wedding Dance ·
    • Hide content

We had a few of these - cupcakes, a smidge of bunting (but then we did have a village hall / afternoon tea reception) and a choreographed first dance because that's pretty much obligatory for me! But I realised when I discovered wedding magazines, Pinterest and Hitched that these things go in and out of fashion and whilst those of us involved in weddings see the same things over and over, sometimes guests (particularly older ones) think these ideas are brand new and original. Our families are still going on about how 'different' our wedding was but I can guarantee if hitchers evaluated my wedding you would think it was totally run of the mill!

• kharding2014
    Beginner October 2014
    kharding2014 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'll second that! Xx

• M
    Beginner May 2014
    Muppet ·
    • Hide content

I don't think that it's they're over done, it's just ALL that's on pinterest.

• EdenNI
    Beginner December 2014
    EdenNI ·
    • Hide content

I totally agree that these things are only overdone if you spend your life at weddings or on wedding blogs! We're not having anything on the list but if I could afford Macaroons the list definitely wouldn't put me off Smiley winking

• SoftKitty
    Beginner December 2016
    SoftKitty ·
    • Hide content

I'll be having a strapless dress, I've had such an idea of a strapless, sparkly wedding dress I wouldn't feel right in anything else

• ClaireD*
    Beginner May 2014
    ClaireD* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Love it ?

• Italybride14
    Beginner May 2014
    Italybride14 ·
    • Hide content

Yay I don't have any of those!

• Elixia
    Beginner March 2014
    Elixia ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

haha! too true!!

I actually did none of these Smiley laugh but i did make some wedding 'sins' elsewear. plus my dress COULD of been strapless but i loved the cap sleeves and it wasn't a church! and also capes rock.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics