Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Feb2014Bride
Beginner February 2014

MOTB / MOTG Outfit Problems

Feb2014Bride , 13 of August of 2013 at 11:19 Posted on Planning 0 5

Is anyone else having a porblem with the MOTB / MOTG outfits matching/same colour?

First my FMIL tells me she is thinking of wearing an ivory dress ....... i asked her kindly not to as i think only the bride should be in ivory / white at a wedding.

Then i tell my FMIL that my mum has got a navy outfit for the wedding (already purchased) ...... FMIL has now told me she is also going to wear navy!?!?!?!

I know this is such a small and silly matter but its annoying me, im not sure how to ask her nicely not to wear navy? I thoght telling her my mum was would put her off but apparently not?!? There are millions of colours out there ...

Rant over.

5 replies

Latest activity by clareio, 13 of August of 2013 at 13:41
  • Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content

My MIL wore a champagne coloured ballgown and my Mum wore a white dress with blue flowers on it. And I didnt care on the day. There was no mistaking who I was on the day, although I can understand your frustration as I had no idea why MIL wanted to look like a random BM and why my Mum wanted to match the colour scheme.

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

I think traditionally the MOTB chooses her outfit first, and then lets the MOTG know so she doesn't choose the same colour. This doesn't matter so much now I don't know, but I think it's just courtesy to check with each other. At recent weddings I've seen both of the mothers in the same colour - no one seemed to care but me! I don't think even they minded. Also recently a MOTB felt she had to wear a hat because of the MOTG was. That's just silly, but I think parents can be quite traditional over things like this.

Saying that though my mum is wearing navy - I don't know what my MIL is wearing. My mum wouldn't actually mind at all what she wears either but as my MIL is quite traditional I get the feeling she may ask what my mum is wearing first.

• Childhood-Sweet<3
    Beginner July 2014
    Childhood-Sweet<3 ·
    • Hide content

My FMIL informed my own mum via text that she thinks that the whole wedding party should be in blue and grey...my mum has now gone and got a purple dress just to object! I couldn't care less what they wore as long as they feel comfortable.

I would also be funny if they wanted to wear white/ivory but I don't think it matters if they match!

• Feb2014Bride
    Beginner February 2014
    Feb2014Bride ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for your thoughts ladies, for some reason i had this in my head a big "no no" regarding wearing the same colour.

Suppose i guessed it was odd that FMIL would want to waer the same colour - not sure why - tradition I suppose.

They are completley different shapes and have completely different styles so guess i am worrying over nothing. Bridezilla has been put back in her box ha.

• C
    Beginner November 2013
    clareio ·
    • Hide content

Wearing ivory would really p*** me off but i don't think i'd care if they wore the same colour (not that they would, i'll be impressed if FMIL doesnt turn up in black just because she leans towards black clothes) and my mum wears a lot of gold and earthy tones.

Provided nobody, especially FMIL, turns up in an ivory or white maxi dress or ball gown i dont really care.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics