Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner August 2015

Mother in law issues

mrs_w_to_be, 19 of March of 2015 at 22:11 Posted on Planning 0 18

OK this is going to be a bit of a long one - I don't even know where to start!

Basically, to cut a long story short, I was diagnosed with a chronic illness a few months after my fiance and I met. I had a lot of time off work, I eventually gave up my job because it was too stressful and took a lower paid part time job. His mum made constant bitchy remarks about this, even though I could have given up work altogether but I chose not to. I then worked for a temp agency for a while because I was thinking long term it would be easier to explain to future employers rather than having gaps in my CV. All I ever got from her was "Another job? Did the last one get fed up of you and sack you then?". I would just like to point out here that I've never been sacked from a job in my life! First of all, she acted like my illness wasn't real because she'd never heard of it. My fiance then started randomly leaving leaflets and things in her house so she'd maybe educate herself a little bit. Her reaction to this was to pick up on one comment that being overweight can increase symptoms. So she told me to go on a diet. By the way, I'm a size 12 and she's a size 18!

I could go on all day about the all the things she's said, for example when we were on the way back from the hospital after me having an operation to try and treat my condition we had to stop at her house, she came out and tapped on the window and said "Are you better? Can you go back to work properly now?". People told me to just ignore her but it was really hard, especially when she was making out that I was lazy because that's really not the case. I've always worked hard and never been out of work, I felt like I had to constantly try and justify this to her even though it was none of her business. It got to the point where I would absolutely dread going to her house or to family parties, so I would just avoid going

One event I thought it would be rude to miss was her birthday, so we made an effort to go. Stupidly I actually wanted to try and impress her, so I made a real effort with her presents and got to the restaurant early to drop flowers off so they were on the table when she arrived. When I handed her presents to her, she said she wasn't opening presents at the table. She then preceded to open her presents from everyone else! My fiance pointed this out so she opened ours, a handbag almost identical to one she already had that I'd heard her say she wanted a new one as hers was looking old. In front of a table of 14 people, she said she didn't like it and did we have the receipt so she could take it back. After that, I was done!

My fiance didn't fall out with his mum and I didn't want him to, but he did naturally stop spending so much time at their house because I wouldn't go. I wasn't doing this to cause problems, I just really couldn't deal with it because she was so unpleasant towards me. She then told my fiance that I'd turned him against her and was ruining their relationship. He said that wasn't the case but how could she expect me to want to go to her house for her to be rude to me... Her answer to this was "you could come without her!". The thing is, my fiance has been married before and his ex wife didn't get on with his mum, but neither did most of his family so he never really saw his mum as being the problem. But with me, I get on with the rest of his family really well, it's only his mum that's the problem. And she's so rude to me even in front of other people that it's hard for him to defend her! He told her in no uncertain terms that if she couldn't be nice to me then she would have to deal with seeing a lot less of him

She went into a complete sulk about this and didn't speak to him for 3 months. During this time, he proposed to me! He'd tried to call his parents beforehand to tell them he was going to do it, as they were on a month long holiday, but they didn't answer so he sent them a text. He sent another text to tell them I said yes and got no response. Even when they got home, they didn't get in touch to say congratulations. When my fiance confronted them, they said they didn't have their phones on holiday with them so they didn't know. The thing is, my fiance's grandad had already told us she'd called him from holiday (from the mobile she'd left at home) and she knew we were engaged. So she lied to his face!

A few weeks after we got engaged, it was his 40th and I tried to arrange a nice family meal. His parents refused to come because his mum said he'd been disrespectful to her by accusing her of lying about not knowing about our engagement. Even though it was blatantly obvious she had! So they didn't come to the meal. Next was the engagement party, and we'd heard they'd told other members of his family they weren't going to come. We both went round there to try and resolve things once and for all, but it was a bit of a waste of time to be honest. She wouldn't admit that anything was her fault, and said she's never been rude to me. Whenever my fiance gave an example of something rude that she'd said, she'd just say "oh well this isn't getting us anywhere!". In the end, we just said let's put everything behind us and draw a line under it now. They agreed to come to the engagement party and we left it at that

The day before, she asked me if she could bring a tray of sandwiches for the buffet. My mum had offered to arrange the buffet weeks before and it was all under control, but I didn't want to offend her and push her out if she wanted to be involved so I said yes, of course she could do some sandwiches. Well, I'm not being funny, the way she acted on the night you'd honestly think she'd arranged the whole party, not just brought one tray of cheese butties! My mum and sister were getting to the venue early to decorate and they'd told me to go off and get my hair and nails done and relax getting ready. My future mother in law arrived early too, so when I got there and asked if there was anything I could do to help, her response was a very snappy "Ha! You haven't done anything to help so far so why start now?". It was already arranged that I was getting my hair done, all of these plans were made weeks in advance when she wasn't even speaking to us!

I was perfectly civilised though and didn't let it ruin my night, I thanked them for coming and for their help and everything was fine. Just after this, we moved into a new house not far from his parents. Every Monday night, when she knew my fiance got home late, she would turn up uninvited with some left over take away and say "this is for my son". As if I wasn't feeding him or something! Then one weekend she asked my fiance if she could go with him to see his children (they live 60 miles away with his ex wife, he goes to see them twice a week), he said yes but I was in work and he'd already arranged to drop me off on the way. She said this wasn't a problem, she'd drive and pick us both up and drop me off at work. She turned up on the morning, we got in the car and she handed my fiance a bacon sandwich and said "there you go, I've made you breakfast". Nothing for me! I know it may sound like a petty thing to be annoyed about, but it was more the fact that it was such a petty thing to do! I'd never treat anyone like that, I felt so uncomfortable for the whole journey (and a bit hungry too)

We avoided them for the next month or so and then sadly my fiance's grandfather passed away. They were really close and I thought the world of him too. When we got engaged and his parents didn't even congratulate us, his grandfather and his aunt (his mum's dad and sister) turned up with cards and balloons and took us for a celebratory meal. He was always really lovely and stuck up for me if he ever heard his daughter being rude to me. My fiance was absolutely devastated and took it really badly. His ex came to the funeral to pay his respects, which wasn't a problem at all as I know she knew him well and he was a lovely man. At the wake, his ex was stood talking to us when his mum appeared and said she was going home, gave his ex a massive hug like she was the daughter she never had (even though she hated her when she was with her son!), then literally looked me up and down and said "See ya". In front of his whole family, who'd listened to her slagging this woman off for years!

I didn't rise to it, she'd just buried her father, but a few weeks later my fiance went to see her and told her nothing had changed since the chat we had before the engagement party, she was still as rude to me as ever and it had to stop. He said he wouldn't have her upsetting me on my wedding day so she had to promise to be nice or not come - she said "fine then, I won't come". Since they had this conversation (8 months ago), he's only seen her a handful of times and I haven't seen her at all

The things she's done since have been extremely hurtful to my fiance, so it's gone beyond the issue with me now! First of all, she put their house (his childhood home where he lived all his life) up for sale without telling him, he had to see it in the local paper. Then, most disgustingly of all, she organised a memorial for his grandfather at his local bowls club and didn't invite him - but told the rest of the family she had! Then a letter for my fiance from a bank he was with years ago went to her house, and instead of calling us or bringing it to us, for some bizarre reason she took it to my parents house?! My parents know exactly how she's treated me and are quite angry about the whole thing, the last thing they wanted was her turning up on their doorstep leaving them no choice but to make small talk!

Things are now really awkward. We sent cards and flowers for Christmas, Mother's Day etc, and my fiance calls her every few weeks (normally after me nagging him to!). The conversations are always really difficult, like getting blood out of a stone. He hasn't discussed the wedding directly with her but she's told everyone, and I mean everyone, in his family that she won't be coming unless we both apologise to her

As much as she thinks it's me causing the issue, I actually said do you know what, let's just apologise and then it's all sorted. My fiance said no - he said if we apologise that's basically just accepting her behaviour and giving her permission to carry on treating me the way she does. I understand what he means, and the last thing I want is her making me feel uncomfortable on the big day, but at the same time they are his parents and no matter what he says I know deep down he'll be hurt if they don't come

More than anything I'm worried it will be like the engagement party, they will say they aren't coming and then change their mind at the last minute. By which point we will have given final numbers to the venue, drawn up table plans etc etc. I just don't want them to mess things up! Also, over the last year with losing his grandfather and falling out with his parents, we've both become really close to his aunt (his mum's sister, who took us for the engagement meal with his grandad). She's been fantastic with the wedding, really helpful and involved and we'd both like to honour her in some way on the big day. We wanted to have her on the top table, get her a present, include her in the speeches etc, as in the run up to the wedding she's been the closest thing he has to a mother and the closest I have to a mother in law! I'm worried she will get pushed out if his mum does decide to come, and I really don't want his mum taking all the credit for everything like she did at the engagement party when she's done nothing but cause stress and hassle for us!

So sorry for the long post - not sure anyone can really give any advice but I do feel better for having a rant! If you've managed to read all this then thank you!

18 replies

Latest activity by Romina, 9 of January of 2023 at 04:30
  • ☆♡☆VegasBride☆♡☆
    Beginner August 2014
    ☆♡☆VegasBride☆♡☆ ·
    • Hide content

Unfortunately i can't offer any advice but I feel your pain, she sounds completely unreasonable and i agree with your husband that if you let this go then she will more than likely do it again (and again) she's horrible to be fair and her behaviour is disgusting however his aunt sounds fantastic!! and why shouldn't she be honoured at your wedding for everything she has done she has been brilliant and you don't want his mum walking around acting like the friction queen of sheba when she's done f all! x

• MartinC Photography
    MartinC Photography ·
    • Hide content

Wow! That is complicated and I really feel for you. Firstly I think it's great your partner has stuck up for you. Often I hear situations where the guy usually wants to keep the peace so is too afraid to confront his mum and as a result ends up upsetting everyone!

I don't know what the answer is but it's very clear that the relationship between you both & her has become incredibly toxic. It's obviously a real shame but I can't see how continuing to extend an olive branch will help.

As a parent I cannot imagine any situation where I would treat my own sons like that and even if I HATED my future daughter in law then out of respect for my son I would keep my gob firmly shut and behave. Especially on their wedding day.

I do agree with your partner that you have nothing to apologise for and that her behaviour sounds like she's unable to accept that her son will love any other woman than her. I take it from what you've written that his ex was also treated badly whilst she was married to your partner?

• halloweeny
    Beginner October 2013
    halloweeny ·
    • Hide content

Oh dear! What a silly childish woman. I don't think you should apologise to her. What for? She's behaved badly. Why are you thinking of apologising?If she doesn't come, so be it. That's her choice isn't it?

youll still have a fab day and she'll be the one who lost out.

she sounds like she's threatened by you. Once you're married she'll hopefully back off. Good for your OH to stick up for you!! Don't worry about her. She doesn't deserve that.

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

Wow, what a ***!!

We only speak to my mother in law in a professional capacity (we work together) H hasn't spoken to her for a few years. I tried to use the wedding as a good time to get them talking again but he didn't want to, he couldn't forgive and forget.

To be honest your future mother in law sounds like way more hassle than she's worth, some people just aren't worth the agro. I know she's his mum but that isn't everything, you're his most important family now and it sounds like you'll feel a lot better if you stop pushing yourself to get on with her and make peace with the fact that it isn't meant to be. It never ceases to amaze me that there are people like this in the world.

• snow bride
    Beginner June 2016
    snow bride ·
    • Hide content

Oh hunny :/ If it's any help my MIL is similar but has told us repeatedly that shes 'just a guest' as she refuses to help in the run up (I'd like to note we've never asked her!!!).

So we're giving her exactly what she wants! No reserved seating at the ceremony, no mention in the order of service, (we're not having a sit down meal so no top table anyway), no mention in the speeches.

Everyone in the room knows exactly what she's like so won't think it's funnt! But I'm fed up with her attitude!

• Karen84
    Beginner July 2016
    Karen84 ·
    • Hide content

Oh my god, I'm so sorry that you have to deal with cr*p like this. Your H2B sounds like an absolute keeper, and he is spot on in saying that if you apologise it will just give her free reign to continue behaving so appallingly. And not just to you, but to her own son.

Personally, I would be happy to take her at her word that she's not coming. Don't reserve her a seat or a meal, and stick with your plans to involve your OH's aunt. Your MIL will know well enough that she can't change her mind the day before a wedding and expect you to magic all the rearranging at short notice.

Just out of curiosity, where does your FIL stand in all of this? It would be a shame if your OH lost his relationship with both parents, but it's entirely his mother's doing.

• bliss_balloons
    bliss_balloons ·
    • Hide content

Sorry you're in such a horrible situation. If it was me I would leave the decision up to my oh, it sounds to me like he is prepared for the fact that his parents probably aren't going to be there. Obviously he's going to be disappointed but that's not something in your control it's his mother that has caused all the problems and it may end up being best for all involved if she isn't there.

• M
    Beginner August 2015
    MrsFitt2B ·
    • Hide content

Oh my word! She sounds like a horrible person! I am a big 'family' person, but I tell you now, if my mother ever treated my OH like that there would be fireworks!

I agre with you OH and the others, you have done everything you can to make the peace and if you apologise it will only giev her license to continue to treat you like that. If I were you I would be ignoring her, letting your OH deal with her but bearing in mind if she ever does apologise (and pigs might fly,) that you may have to be the bigger person and accept her apology.

I still find it staggering that there are grown adults who behave like this and cannot see how much hurt it causes.

• A
    Beginner April 2015
    AprilBride15 ·
    • Hide content

What an absolutely awful person! My lord! Your H2B sounds like a complete keeper and you should be very proud of him standing up to her; as she's just awful!

I would do what the others say, take her at her word - ignore her from the wedding, don't go out on a limb for her - she really doesn't sound like she's worth it!

You poor person, you really don't need this while you are planning a wedding.

Just keep her out of it.

• Lapland2015
    Beginner December 2015
    Lapland2015 ·
    • Hide content

I had a mini version of this where my oh was told to 'knock me on the head' in front of me, laughed and said 'I don't think so do you' when my oh asked if she would have coffee or something with me (not gonna lie I walked off and cried in the middle of the highstreet! I was so humiliated in front of his whole family over coffee!) I got ignored when sat in her sofa too! I took the same approach as you and just avoided her like the plague. I dropped oh off so see her and sent gifts for mothers day etc but I never handed them over directly either post or drop off at the door! She continued to be difficult for 6 years but has now mellowed as I think she's finally realised I'm not going to rob her son or ruin his life or something. Crazy! My advice is to keep your distance still I know it hurts and is humiliating when someone so close to someone you love treats you like dirt on their shoe but you know what it's her loss! I wouldn't apologise as if this was your mum and she was treating your oh like that would you apologise or let your oh? Depending on how brave you are (I never was with fmil) I would confront her yourself. I chose to keep quiet and refuse drinks or food from them in a polite way and just see her the least amount I possibly could! It sounds to me that she doesn't like you because you make her son happy and it sounds like she dotes on him - I mean whose mum drops over left over takeaway??? I really feel for you and I hope this gets sorted soon!

• BubbleBees
    Beginner August 2015
    BubbleBees ·
    • Hide content

Wow, just wow!

I am seriously speechless. I'll read this again later when I get home and try and give a more useful response.

Your HTB sounds brilliant, but her ... wow.

• MrsV-wasMissB
    Beginner August 2015
    MrsV-wasMissB ·
    • Hide content

Either she is jealous of her Son having another woman he loves in his life, or she is just a vile human being.

I'm like you I'd try and try and try again, but it seems at the point now its time for you both to accept she wants no positive part in your life. Cut all contact (from your point of view) and i'd be saying they are not welcome at the wedding. That dayis about you two and by the sounds of it, she'd make it abou her, and make you feel terrible on the day you are meant to be at your happiest.

get rid I say.

• M
    Beginner August 2015
    mrs_w_to_be ·
    • Hide content

Thank you everyone!

Your responses have just reinforced what I already knew, that we should just give up now and leave her to it. I think I find that hard because I'm so close to my family and I just can't imagine getting married without my parents there. But as you can probably tell his parents are VERY different to mine!

The situation with his father is basically that he had an affair 25 years ago and she has punished him ever since, he won't stand up to her because she makes his life hell so he just sits back and says nothing!

She doesn't intimidate me any more and I've thought about going to see her myself, but there's absolutely no point. She genuinely has convinced herself that she's done nothing wrong so it would be like talking to a brick wall. I think it's gone way too far now for us to move on from this in an amicable way, but I know she will be the one who ends up regretting it because she hates missing out on anything!

And yes I'm very lucky that my fiance sticks up for me, this is hard enough as it is so I can't imagine how much worse it would be if he let her get away with everything to try and keep the peace. The funny thing is when people say "imagine if it was the other way round and it was your parents treating him like that", and the thing is I just can't imagine it because it would NEVER happen! I remember when I was 17 I had a boyfriend they hated, but they dealt with it and were polite to him because they didn't want me to stop seeing them or anything like that. And that's all I can compare it to, so even if she hates me, surely she should love her son more?!

Thank you all again Smiley smile

• pink & glitz
    Beginner August 2014
    pink & glitz ·
    • Hide content

Hello, I feel so sorry for you having to put up with her and especially when you are not well. It's absolutely none of her business about your job or finances, I take it she has never been ill then!!

It seems like you have tried to get along with her, you could be anybody as I imagine she would treat any woman that her son chose very badly. I don't think it's personal, she sounds vile.

It's great your fiance stands up for you - I guess if he didn't then you wouldn't be getting married!

A lot of mother in laws or should I say monster in laws are nightmares, I have very little to do with mine. She doesn't like the fact that her son married a Scottish girl, they are all English but live in Scotland!!! Plus she caused trouble at my wedding and stormed out. The only advice I can give you is to concentrate on your husband to be, have a happy marriage and don't let her cause trouble between you.

Xx

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's what it is. She has decided that the OP's illness makes her somehow unworthy of her son and is using weird underhand passive-aggressive methods to try to make her feelings known. It's really crappy behaviour and I personally think the OP has done more than enough to try to build bridges.

• M
    Beginner August 2015
    mrs_w_to_be ·
    • Hide content

Just to give you all an update...

My fiance had a death in the family recently - it was actually his mother's sister and his mother hasn't spoken to her for over ten years. I think the guilt has made her suddenly find a conscience and she approached us to try and sort things out. We had completely given up on ever making peace with them so it was quite a surprise

I asked my fiance to speak to her first, she's still stubborn as anything and even though she sort of half apologised to him, she asked if we can just forget anything ever happened and not mention the past when we all met up together for the first time. I'm probably being too soft but I just said yes that's fine. We all went for dinner last week - it was slightly awkward, but civil!

I don't like the woman and to be honest I never will - it's not even a case of holding a grudge as I hate grudges, but she's just genuinely not a nice person. But I have to admit I'm glad things are civil, it does make things easier, they are still his parents after all. I'm not sure how long this will last but we'll see! Fingers crossed Smiley smile

• ☆♡☆VegasBride☆♡☆
    Beginner August 2014
    ☆♡☆VegasBride☆♡☆ ·
    • Hide content

Shame it took this too make her realise! But I'm pleased for you really hope it lasts xx

• R
    Beginner September 2015
    ricepudding ·
    • Hide content

Read all that and then the update.

Phew! I'm sorry she has lost both her father and her sister in a relatively short space of time. I hope she manages to keep things civil. Being bitchy is such hard work and I don't understand how people can keep it up. I'm glad your OH has had your back, too often we read about the opposite where the woman/man is facing this along because their partner refuses to support them.

Makes me feel even luckier that my in-laws to be are so lovely. They already treat me like a daughter. My side of the family is less reliable so I guess it balances out in the end...

Good luck with everything and I hope you're able to keep things civil.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics