Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
Beginner November 2015

Mother in law woes !!

JHenson1234, 26 of September of 2013 at 09:18 Posted on Planning 0 13

Hi peeps,

Mother in law to be has been causing issues - the main one is stirring and causing trouble between by oh and his only brother (who is getting married 6 weeks after us) to the point that they barely speak. HIs fiance and i were also being played off against each other.

Thankfully his fiance and i have resolved things and my oh and his brother are much better. I'm glad but with the wedding so soon my mother in law has played a big part in spoiling all the planning. she's still doing it but we're not having any of it and her behaviour has caused both couples to withdraw from discussing the weddings with her due to her constant meddling

We went round there yesterday. and she was on at me again about what she should wear. She's old enough to know the etiquet and prides herself on such things but she's deliberately ignoring it. - starting with a bright red dress.

Seriously, which mother in law would wear a bright attention grabbing cherry red dress when it's going to photobomb all the pictures where the focus should be on me and my oh.

she originally suggested a long white crystal covered gown (seriously). that was a step too far and i said it was bad luck for anyone except the mother of the bride to wear white/cream etc. - it's not bad luck i know, just rude, but i didnt want to accuse her of doing something that would be rude!

She is an only child who has been the matriarch in a house with her husband and two boys and has got her own way and been centre of attention all her life. I know it's hard for her for those reasons and also because her son's are both marrying but her attitude is making both me and my sis in law to be not want her involved in anything at all. we've both tried to include her as much as we can but she meddles and causes trouble.

advice please!

13 replies

Latest activity by S108HAN, 27 of September of 2013 at 22:50
  • overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

To be honest, I don't actually see a problem with a cherry red dress. Red is a colour which, although bright, it does suit a lot of people especially dark haired people and is worn quite a lot for weddings by Mums teamed up with black accessories and looks stunning. I don't agree with the long dress with crystals though as it's more ball gown wear to me than a wedding outfit. Maybe she just feels insecure about what's expected of her being the Mother of the Groom?

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Long white dress with crystals - no!

Bright red dress - can't see the issue.

Every wedding should be a cacophony of bright and beautiful. She won't stick out.

• OB
    Beginner January 2011
    OB ·
    • Hide content

I don't see a problem with a red dress either.

• Loopz
    Beginner March 2013
    Loopz ·
    • Hide content

I think the red dress will be fine. Eyes will be on you no matter what.
    My SIL wore a bright orange dress, and no one was looking at her the whole time.
    I think because you have issues with your MIL and because she had threatened a white crystal dress, your heckles are already up (understandably), but the red dress won't make a difference, and she's probably not trying to do it to spite you (maybe the white dress, but the red is quite a common wedding colour - my mum found a lovely red outfit for our wedding, and only changed her mind because it clashed with the pink of the bridesmaid dresses!!)

Difficult, I know, but try to look past her previous behaviour and allow her the red dress. If she does think it will make people look at her, she will be sorely mistaken and will feel silly. ?

• Rosco298
    Beginner February 2014
    Rosco298 ·
    • Hide content

I agree with all the above the white crystal dress would be a massive no-no but hte red dress sounds perfect. I love strong colours because pastels make me look like a ghost but I wouldn't be trying to outdo the bride just trying to look less like death in her photo's. Unless you are wearing red and she knows this. I think the olny colour to avoid is white/ivory but again only if it is fairly bridal.

• Pook82
    Beginner August 2012
    Pook82 ·
    • Hide content

My mum wore a red dress to our wedding, she looked fab.

• H
    Beginner May 2014
    Helybel ·
    • Hide content

Jhenson what's your wedding colour?

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

Definitely can't really see the problem unless your bridesmaid are perhaps wearing red?

• H
    Beginner May 2014
    Helybel ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

yeah exactly. White and ivory..no, definitely a bad move- however, I don't think anybody can actually properly upstage the bride on her wedding day even if they try. Red is ok although I can see where you're coming from. As long as it's not your bridesmaid colour or is going to horribly clash then I wouldn't worry too much.

• J
    Beginner November 2015
    JHenson1234 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone.

Yes, i think it's just my heckles after the white crystal beaded long gown was suggested - aka wearing a wedding dress! it was put to me in a way that was a bit ' look what i'm gonna wear' kind of way but you're all right - she is the only one playing the game so to speak. it's not her day. it's mine and my oh's.

The bridesmaids are in emerald green and a few people have said it's going to look clashy on the pics. I like sepia/black and white pics so that doesn't bother me really.

To be honest, i dont really care what she wears as long as it's not cream/white/ivory - for the obvious bridal reason but also because the mother of the bride is the only one allowed to wear it and i dont want people to confuse her with my mom, who is the mother of the bride but is wearing a darker colour.

i've called her to say the red dress is lovely and she'll look great and she said she may not go for it now afterall (ha - yep, it'll probably a white one then...lol!)

in laws. drive you mental after a while. god knows what it'll be like when the babies arrive!

• S108HAN
    Beginner August 2013
    S108HAN ·
    • Hide content

I never heard of MotB wearing white/ivory although I know it's traditional for the MoH, I think you hardly see that any more. I think Pippa Middleton and Big Fat Gypsy weddings are the only places I can remember seeing it. You still see it a lot for flower girls but no one is going to confuse them with the person getting married. Red is fine though, surely.

• Alisha.B
    Expert April 2022
    Alisha.B ·
    • Hide content

I might put in my invites if ANYONE wears white/ivory/cream there clothes will be ripped off and burned lol (although champagne and silver are fine)

im the same with my hen do too ill make sure everyone wears black so I can be the only one in white lol

as for the red dress we would need to see it, the color isnt bad but it depends if its OTT... for some reason I imagine it as a huge red carpet style fishtail gown which would be too much - if its a swing dress etc... that fine and cute

• B
    Beginner November 2013
    Blondie28 ·
    • Hide content

Personally I would never wear red to a wedding but that is just me. I was brought up with quite a religious Grandma who always said that wearing red to a wedding was a massive no no and I think it has just stuck with me into later life.

However, if someone turns up to my wedding in a red dress I can't say I'd be too bothered. I'll have more important things on my mind i'm sure.

It would be a different story if someone turned up in a long cream/white dress though and I applaud your restraint in how you went about that one ?

• S108HAN
    Beginner August 2013
    S108HAN ·
    • Hide content

I'm all for red at weddings.

I'm the bridesmaid on the left, from my friend's wedding a couple of years ago.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics