Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner May 2018

Mother of bride / groom -doesn't like dresses

HappyBrownConfetti849, 13 of June of 2017 at 22:33 Posted on Planning 0 1

So both the MOB and MOG don't particularly want to wear dresses on the big day, aaannd 90% of the outfits advertised involve a skirt of some sort.

We have a tight budget and I'm struggling for decent budget friendly ideas. I'm happy for them to ditch the dresses but i need a good alternative that doesn't look too casual -groom is going for a full on tail coat (and I mean full on -he was so happy in the shop, I couldn't say no and just rolled with it)

At the moment I'm thinking floral or lace tops with smart trousers and accessories?

Are anyone elses moms like this? Any other ideas or pictures anyone can suggest?

Also a little side note; most of the pictures I'm seeing online look too young for MOB stuff, the models look not much more than my age (I'm mid twenties) my mom is self conscious so likes to be conservative / understated and the FMIL is almost 10 years older than my mom, though she actually enjoys getting dolled up a bit, she's also relatively conservative as well.

Thanks in advance x

1 replies

Latest activity by PadBin, 14 of June of 2017 at 20:10
  • L
    Beginner July 2018
    LuxuriousOrangeStationery644 ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

Have you tried popping to one of the department stores for help? I know John Lewis do a fashion advisor service which lots of my relatives have used for various things, you literally give them your budget and a few ideas and someone goes and picks you options - takes a lot of stress out and even if you don't find the right thing at least it might give them some ideas.

Hope they find something Smiley smile

• PadBin
    Rockstar July 2016
    PadBin ·
    • Hide content

My mum was the same and really didn't want to wear a dress.

I was looking for a light floaty suit for her but while looking I ordered a blue floral dress and jacket set for her to try from born marche, It was £60 but I had an email offer and they had a membership card sale on everything so it went down to £40. As soon as she put it on she loved it and didn't want to take it off.

Bon marche was really good (this was last year for me) they even have have designer lines and it's designed for older women. They do ranges in similar or contrasting colours so you can mix and match so diffently worth a look.

The photo is of my mum in the middle in her dress and my auntie in the type of outfit I was looking for mum. She did have a floaty jacket and a hat on at the beginning but this was taken near the end of the day.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics