Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

A
Beginner September 2021 Cambridgeshire

Mother of Groom not on 'top' Table

Anon, 10 of September of 2021 at 10:12 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 0 5
Hi all,

I am a groom, getting married in the coming weeks. My Bride is Scottish, the wedding will be held in Glasgow, my family are from south-east England, so a number of them are flying up. We have had a lot of difficulty with my mother: telling people to book flights/hotels before they were invited, telling people what their role in the ceremony would be before we'd decided, complaining that we are not putting on a shuttle bus to/from the airport but then saying we're spending too much money, complaining that the Brides family aren't doing enough to help out but then not doing anything to help, txting the Bride "my dress has arrived.. not a colour i would have gone for.. ivory white" etc. the list goes on.
We are finalising the table plan. We are thinking of not having a traditional 'top' table. We would have a round table with Bride, Groom, Groomsmen, Bridesmaids, Mother & Father of Bride. Then my Mum and her Partner would be on a seperate table with aunties & uncles etc.We are doing this because we are genuinely concerned that she will attempt to ruin the meal, doing/saying nasty stuff. The question is; are we making the right the decision? Or, are we just overreacting? e.g. could the txt have been meant with good intentions but we've overreacted.

5 replies

Latest activity by HotDiggityDamn83, 26 of September of 2021 at 17:53
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content

This is like reading my situation! My mother is very opinionated on our wedding as we are not having traditional elements, she has been discussing this vocally within the extended family who told me this at a family get together recently (amazing what people say after a few drinks!). My Mum making comments about how much it is costing, how much my fiancé is contributing, she doesn't like our colour scheme, drinks reception offering, judgmental comments on my fiancés family and demanding we invite her friends! This all come to a head where we have not spoken for a couple of weeks and I eventually had to call her out as some of her comments are spiteful and hurtful towards my fiancé and his family, and I am so stressed about it being awkward on the day. I have told her if I get wind of one more comment then she is not coming! I don't think you are over reacting, but if her behavior has heightened your sensitivity and is causing you this concern you are right to try and dissipate your anxiety. Regarding the top table, we have done the same except we are not having any parents on it, just us and our best man, MOH, usher and adult BM. I will be honest, your suggestion of having your wife parents on the table and not your mum and her partner is likely only going to inflame the situation and give your mum a reason to kick off, so I would really think about it and the consequence on the day. I would strongly suggest just having your bridal party on the table with you and both sets of parents sat with family on other tables. wishing you all the luck, please don't let it upset your day x

• L
    Dedicated April 2023 Kent
    Ladybird1088 ·
    • Hide content

It's your wedding and you should seat people however you both want to, but this would also be a very obvious separation and statement having your wife's parents on your table, but not your mum.

• Sophiehannah
    Savvy June 2023 Cheshire
    Sophiehannah ·
    • Hide content
    We have had similar issues when doing our seating plan.
    Were not having a traditional top table becuase it will cause issues. So we are having our children sat with us (which we will need our youngest to anyway due to him been autistic) x
  • A
    Beginner September 2021 Cambridgeshire
    Anon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi all. Thank you soo much for advice. We ended up going with what the majority suggested and my mum sat on the top table with us. She was incredibly polite and well manored towards everyone. For anyone that faces the same issue.. my experience is.. if your mother is being sly or passive-aggressive.. ask her to sit on the top table anyway.. people like this are cowards and wont dare do anything in front of anyone on the day!
  • HotDiggityDamn83
    Savvy August 2021 Cardiff
    HotDiggityDamn83 ·
    • Hide content

In the end we had a sweetheart table with just the two of us. It was causing too much stress trying to sort out the top table with divorced parents.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics