Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

HayleyMay
Beginner September 2012

MOTHER OF THE BRIDE...

HayleyMay, 18 April, 2011 at 17:05 Posted on Planning 0 20

Really need your help and expertise on this one everyone. Mother of the Bride outfits seem to be ALL dresses and skirts. Where dya have to go to find trouser suits or trousers with a nice floaty jacket?!

My mum will only be 50 when I marry next year and is a nice size 14/16 (though shes very body conscious), but its impossible to find anything.

Help would be so appreciated everyone! This is the one wedding thing I've struggled with!

xxx

20 replies

Latest activity by Saisi, 19 April, 2011 at 22:40
  • Fleur10
    Beginner June 2011
    Fleur10 ·
    • Hide content

We could not find anything in the shops for mum so we ended up going online, she got a lovely outfit from a catalogue company, I'll try and get the name for you.

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

Some gorgeous ones here at the weekend, which all have co-ordination top pieces:

https://www.jacques-vert.co.uk/en/skirts/occasion/

Also saw some cute pieces in Bravissimo (who I didn't even know did dresses / skirts)

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

A couple of good companies who operate mainly from outlets are Roman, Klass and Reflections. They do some lovely floaty trouser suits and don't cost the earth.

• HayleyMay
    Beginner September 2012
    HayleyMay ·
    • Hide content

That'd be great Fleur!!

And thanks Little Madam, but its trousers we're after. She won't wear a skirt! xx

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

Haha - I read that, and still ignored it! What is wrong with me today?!

Have you tried next - what colour would she be looking at?

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
  • HayleyMay
    Beginner September 2012
    HayleyMay ·
    • Hide content

Lol its ok! Didn't even think of the obvious like Next!! Looked at BHS and debenhams but nothing there. It'd be like beige/brown/taupe/maybe a pale purpley colour. Not lilac, iykwim!! xx

• HayleyMay
    Beginner September 2012
    HayleyMay ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Sherrie. That is nice! Forgot about kaleidoscope too! From 1st glance there seems to be some nice stuff.

Though any more suggestions off everyone would be appreciated!! xx

• MrsB_2_be
    Beginner August 2011
    MrsB_2_be ·
    • Hide content

I've been shopping with my mam today for her outfit and we've basically found that the little independent dress shops were better than department stores and big chains- the outfits were more special and they helped with matching accessories too. Hope that helps!

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

Coast

Monsoon

BHS

Wallis

All have some lovely stuff in at the mo

• HayleyMay
    Beginner September 2012
    HayleyMay ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone! Found a lovely waterfall purple jacket on kaleidoscope, would look gorgeous with beige colour trousers etc! I'll show my mum after shes made my tea haha!!

• Random Name
    Random Name ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ohh thanks Sherrie. Have just had a quick look on their site and they have some lovely bits. My Mum was struggling to find a trendy outfit that wasnt major expensive!

• GemmaLouise1986
    Beginner
    GemmaLouise1986 ·
    • Hide content

My Mum is like yours, won't do skirts or dresses. She went to Hobbs and bought a lovely jacket, top and trousers.

• moonpie1985
    Beginner July 2012
    moonpie1985 ·
    • Hide content

I have read lots of threads about the Mother of Brides outfit - does this mean that it is something that we pay for and I should factor into budget?

I hadnt even thought about what she will wear, as I just assumed she will get a dress she likes.

• MrsLJR
    Beginner May 2012
    MrsLJR ·
    • Hide content

We are paying for my moms outfit but that is because she is giving me away and I don't have to hire a suit for FOB.

• HayleyMay
    Beginner September 2012
    HayleyMay ·
    • Hide content

No I'm not paying for it. In fact, shes paying for my outfit!! Just needed a bit of help as shes an awkward one! Just needs a bit more confidence to see that she can wear all the figure hugging lovely outfits and look better than most in them. Will never happen though ?

Been around a few high street shops today and they're awful! Nothing anywhere, looks like its definitely gotta be the internet!

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My mum is paying for her own Smiley smile we're very close though and she wants to make sure I like it too, just like I made sure she liked my dress. It is proving to be a complete nightmare... she does wear dresses/skirts which makes it a bit easier, but she's a very young-looking 50-year-old and most of the outfits we can find are either too old for her, too young for her, not formal enough or the wrong colour. She looks like death warmed up in navy blue, and most dark colours that aren't black, so wants to wear red... and there are NO nice red dresses out there for her which suit her and don't cost a fortune!

That Kaleidoscope website seems really good though, I hadn't heard of it before and there are some lovely outfits!

• HayleyMay
    Beginner September 2012
    HayleyMay ·
    • Hide content

Mums are more awkward than us aren't they!! I agree with what you said about them being too old or too young. Theres nothing inbetween! What kinda shape red dress is your mum after?? This might be a bit wrong/too cheap but in Dorothy Perkins atm there is a gorgeous red dress. I actually said today if I was going to a wedding this year I'd get it. Its this one... Ahhhh! Its not on the website. I've seen it in 2 different shops though xx

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think she wants a 60s-shift type of shape, quite structured. She is a slim size 10, no boobs or hips to speak of (COMPLETE opposite to me, I have FF-cup boobs and hers are an A-cup!). Will keep an eye out in Dotty P's... we hadn't thought of that one, thank you!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics