Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Random Name

Mother of the Bride outfit

Random Name, 3 of April of 2011 at 22:04 Posted on Planning 0 20

My Mum has started looking for her outfit for the wedding. She is having some real issues though. A lot of them are for more mature women and the ones that arent seem to be so expensive. She doesnt want to spend more than about £300.

Can anyone recommend some good sites or have any flashes please?

She is thinking of a dress and jacket/ bolero outfit but doesnt want anything too tight that will make her hot

Thanks in advance.

20 replies

Latest activity by Lemon Violet, 26 of April of 2012 at 15:28
  • SaSaSi
    Beginner July 2012
    SaSaSi ·
    • Hide content

I know from going shopping with my mum that john charles retails about £500 / £650 so perhaps something like that if she could find somewhere with a sale? Their outfits generally come with bolero style jackets & are beautiful. Or if she seen sthing she liked but was out of price range she could get something made for her by a dressmaker? That's way she would have sthing totally bespoke + fitted her perfectly. MOB outfits really are expensive + when you add hats, shoes, handbag, jewellery etc - my mums total outfit is as much as my dress! Or does preloved do MOB outfits? Hobbs do beautiful outfits - my mum got a dress from their last year for my cousins wedding & it was stunning & I can honestly say after MOB + MOG my mum was the next best dressed there & its cost £190.

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

Mine was also John Charles - I have contemplated selling it but I don't think I can bear to part with it because I love it so much! Although the hat is already up for sale on Hitched!

• M
    Beginner October 2011
    Mrs Poon ·
    • Hide content

Hi there,

Has your mum considered having her MoB outfit made? I am having my dress made by a fab lady who come on a reccomendation. me and mum went to Goldhawk street the other week in Shepherds Bush to get the material whick was £71.00 and think the dress lady will charge maybe around £150.00 - £200.00 to make it x

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

Rainbow Florist - you look lovely in the dress, and it's so wearable again!

My Mom has gone for Jacques Vert who are / were massively reduced at the weekend and paid £350 (had between 33% to 66% off per item) for this:

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you! The lady in the shop showed me quite a few different ways I could wear the dress without the jacket by teaming it up with either floaty pants or leggings, changing the belt colour and co-ordinating with a different coloured jacket or wearing one of those drapey floaty cardigans over it. I looked for months for something and had a lot of difficulty because I'm only 4ft 11" but I tried a lot of John Charles on and they did fit really well but some were TOO weddingy for me and probably wouldn't have worn them again.

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

That's really helpful of the shop - I can imagine it work for a nice garden party in the summer or equally a formal christening etc!

My Mom is only little too, but a good few sizes bigger than you, and she would have felt very self concious going somewhere she thought was too posh. but it all worked out well in the end - we both always knew since me and OH got engaged that this is what she would wear.

• Random Name
    Random Name ·
    • Hide content

Thank you ladies. We had a look on a few sites yesterday. Hadnt heard of John Charles so will look into that. Also had a quick look on eBay but then dinner was ready so we stopped. WIll have another look tonight.

• *porsche*
    Beginner January 2001
    *porsche* ·
    • Hide content

My mom looked at some Eternity outfits on Saturday and loved them, the ones in the sale were £200-£300.

Don't know where you are based, this was in a shop in Prestwich but worth a few phone calls cos they're outfits are gorg.

• lizzie1982
    Beginner October 2011
    lizzie1982 ·
    • Hide content

Have you tried Hobbs? My sister got married last year and my mum got a lovely dress, matching jacket and shoes from there. Lots of people commented on how nice she looked and it was quite light weight as it was a summer wedding. It's not cheap there, but cheaper than mother of the bride shops and has some lovely things for mum's without being for more mature women (the type of this someone in their 30s, 40s or 50s could wear).

I had al ook in there a few weeks ago actually for her outfit for my wedding and they had some lovely dresses and jackets.

• L
    Beginner June 2011
    little_miss ·
    • Hide content

My mum has bought a lovely dress from Hobbs. She did look at mother of the bride outfits but they were all expensive and she wouldn't wear it again. This dress really suits her and she has bought a bolero to go with it. Could your mum look in some nice high street shops for a lovely dress - does it have to be specific mother of the bride?

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

With a lot of the shops I went into, as soon as I mentioned wanting an outfit for my daughter's wedding, I was ushered into a corner where everything started at £800 and went upwards which I just wasn't prepared to pay for one day. Also a lot of them were quite "Mummzy" looking which I didn't want. So rather than try specifically MOB shops, I went for small boutiques that sell occasion wear such as for a day at the races, cocktail dresses that sort of thing. John Charles are priced around £300 - £500 but a lot of them can be worn again. You can also get them second hand on bay of e which have only been worn for the day but unfortunately because I'm so awkward to fit, I need to try mine and also have it altered.

• 1Lucie
    Beginner May 2011
    1Lucie ·
    • Hide content

We had v similar problem my mum is very fussy and found lots o designers too frumpy.My mum is wearing this

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

I LOVE that outfit!

• MrsCoco
    MrsCoco ·
    • Hide content

A lot of people seem to overlook the high street for MOB outfits, but have you had a look in Coast at all? They have some lovely dresses and most of the time you can get a matching shrug/bolero/jacket to go with them.

My Mum was only 42 when I got married, so I know what you mean about the more mature outfits! We saw quite a few outfits in Phase Eight, Hobbs, Monsoon, LK Bennett, French Connection and Coast. My Mum got hers from Phase Eight in the end. x

• bls14
    Beginner September 2011
    bls14 ·
    • Hide content

My mum has gone for an absolute stunning maxi dress from Monsoon with pink satin jacket and massive pink hat! she looks gorgeous and am so proud to have such a funky mum! hehe Smiley smile

Shop around, Coast have some fab dresses x

• bls14
    Beginner September 2011
    bls14 ·
    • Hide content

WSS!

• N
    Beginner August 2012
    nixmurrell0771 ·
    • Hide content

OMgoodness this is exactly the dress my mum is looking for.. she tried it on today, would you be willing to sell yet? What size is it?

Thanks in advance,

Nik X

• HayleyMay
    Beginner September 2012
    HayleyMay ·
    • Hide content

My mum has got her outfit from coast. Lovely shift dress with cap sleeves for about £130 and £99 for the satin bolero, and about £50 for a fascinator. Its a lovely elegant outfit and IMO looks much classier than some of the bright-coloured MOB outfits.

• L
    Lemon Violet ·
    • Hide content

If your mum needs a fascinator i have just launched a fascinator website aimed at providing pretty and affordable ones in modern, traditional, vintage and quirky styles. www.weddingfascinator.co.uk and facebook page Lemon violet. There are pics on both the site and extra ones on my facebook page. I tried to keep costs down to make them affordable for everyone. Hope this helps

Lynne

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics