Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H

Mother of the bride outfit change?

HilaryE, 18 of June of 2014 at 23:12 Posted on Planning 0 22

After some opinions please.

I haven't bought my outfit yet. Am caught trying to find something which is dressy enough for formal church wedding and sit down reception, but will also take me into the evening where I am hoping it will be more relaxed and I can join in the dancing.

Am I likely to find something to tick all the boxes or should I look for 2 outfits and change before the evening?

I've not been to weddings for years, and none I've been to before has the MOB changed. Is this the done thing now?

Thanks for any advice.

22 replies

Latest activity by miss h to mrs h, 22 of June of 2014 at 05:13
  • D
    Beginner October 2014
    dollydimple88 ·
    • Hide content

I don't know the done thing but I know that my future mother in law is having two dresses and changing after the meal. Whatever she is comfortable in is fine with me x

• M
    Beginner July 2015
    MrsB2015 ·
    • Hide content

My mum is wearing a dress and jacket suit thing for our day then changing to an evening dress at night. I have no issue with it as long as she's happy.

xx

• Foo
    Beginner June 2014
    Foo ·
    • Hide content

No it is not the done thing and honestly I would find it a bit attention seeking. Most wedding guests manage to get through the day without changing. ? Phase 8, Boden, John Lewis are all great for grown up but non-frumpy dresses. Add a jacket/cardi and you're away.

• M
    Beginner December 2014
    MRS RB ·
    • Hide content

Dress jacket combo IMO is perfect for MOTB, jacket off when you sit down for dinner and then it stays off for the evening

when my BIL2B got married I tool MiL2B shopping she chose a jacques vert outfit and she looked great, phase eight also have some great outfits for MOTB.

• ClaireD*
    Beginner May 2014
    ClaireD* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Holy cr*p Foo ! Where I am from, it's entirely normal to have a day dress followed by an evening dress ONLY IF the wedding is in a hotel, and you are staying there and therefore have a bedroom on site with you luggage and space to change. I'd hate to think that this was ill-thought of at other people's weddings I've been to ☹️ Will play it safe in future and not change I think....

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

Out of the weddings I have photographed I can't recall one where the MOB has got changed. There are lots of great outfits these days so I'm sure you will find something perfect. You could go for a dress & jacket then switch the jacket for a wrap in the evening.

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

Agree with Paula - never been to a wedding where either Mum has got changed later in the day. For our daughter's wedding, I had a sleeveless dress with bolero style jacket which I kept on throughout the meal and my jacket only came off when I hit the dance floor. I loved my outfit and wouldn't have wanted to take it off for anything!

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

It's not the norm by any means. But increasingly I do see people getting changed. Personally I think it's bonkers unless there's a good reason and think it's a bit show-offy. As has been said, MOTB and MOTG normally wear something with a jacket which they remove after the ceremony and photos, unless it's roasting when they may need to take it off before, but not all do. Some happily keep their jackets on. It's up to them.

• S
    Beginner November 2014
    Sazzle24 ·
    • Hide content

My mum is worried about what to wear and is considering a suit. I've told her to stick to what she knows works best on her and that is a pretty dress. I don't want her to feel uncomfortable all day and I always wonder why on a wedding people go against what naturally works for them. Completely up to you and if you want to have 3! outfit changes then why not! More excuses to shop!

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

My mum wore a gorgeous brown and cream dress from Phase Eight and she had a cream jacket to wear with it during the day and a brown bolero to wear with it in the evening.

Personally I haven't seen a MOB change outfit but if that's what you want to do then do it. My mum's whole outfit cost around £500 (dress, shoes, both jackets, hat and bag) so there's no way she would have taken that off part way through the day!

• Alisha.B
    Expert April 2022
    Alisha.B ·
    • Hide content

I agree with the point that everyone else manages... ive never even been to a wedding where the bride changes before (even though it could make sense with big heavy dresses) let alone the MOTB/guests

you could take a change of shoes or coat but the full outfit would be OTT

most weddings ive been to MOTB wore a suit (next or debinhams are popular places to buy)

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

I think dress/jacket combo is perfect and I've never known a MOB get changed. My mam wore a Condici outfit.

• Rosco298
    Beginner February 2014
    Rosco298 ·
    • Hide content

My Mum and MIL wore nice dresses with jackets and coats for the church then they look their jackets and hats off for dinner and the evening. They were happy and comfortable all day. TBH I haven't seen and MOTB outfits which would be too restrictive for dancing in and if it was surely it would be uncomfortable to wear at all! They did have several pairs of shoes each though as my Mum doesn't wear heels. Although one of our guests even brought her slippers as her knees are so bad she can't wear shoes for long so she asked if I minded her dancing in slippers instead. I was so glad she felt up for dancing I didn't care what was on her feet!

• M
    Beginner April 2015
    Mrs-S-to-be ·
    • Hide content

Wear what you like! I'm firmly of the opinion that it's your daughter's big day and you should feel special! There is no way my mum will go near a 'normal' MOTB outfit - she will be turning 50 a couple of weeks before - so she'll be wearing an evening dress for the party. Not sure what she'll wear for the ceremony but if she wants 2 dresses I will absolutely encourage her.

• Pipsybus
    Beginner June 2015
    Pipsybus ·
    • Hide content

My brother got married 20 years ago and my cousin changed for the evening reception. She went from a cream flowery summer dress to a short tight red party dress , red heels and red lips! It was such an odd thing to do (the bride didn't even change) and we still talk about it now. And not in a good way!

I think you just need to find something that will take you from day to evening - maybe adding different jewellery, lippy, shoes, so you feel more glam but I wouldn't change completely.

• H
    HilaryE ·
    • Hide content

Thanks to you all for your advice. I'm not keen to change as I don't want the spotlight on me, it's not my day, it's my daughters.

I just didn't want to be out of step with the new way of weddings today.

Thanks once again - looking for ONE outfit I think.

• H
    Beginner August 2014
    H3LEN ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Foo I'm so glad you have said this, my MIL and two SILs are changing into a different outfit. I said I had never seen anyone change only to get my head bitten off and was told my FMIL every wedding she as ever been to people get changed.

Normally she's a lovely lady but I think the wedding has turned her a bit nuts telling us what we should and should not be having. Haha.

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

At my wedding the men in the wedding party got changed (from morning dress to black tie) instead of the women!

I've never been to a wedding where the MoB has changed for the evening, and only two where the bride has. My mum had a co-ordinating dress and jacket from Jacques Vert at Debenhams, and took off the jacket for the evening bit.

• H
    Beginner November 2014
    Hisgirl ·
    • Hide content

At my brothers wedding my mum, step-mum, dad and SILs mum and SILs brothers all changed into something more relaxed for the evening.

At my two of my aunties weddings about half the family (a family of around 60) got changed for the evening.

When my dad married my step-mum loads of us got changed before the evening reception into something less formal.

I think it just depends on the family and what they feel comfortable with.

You can get some lovely day to evening outfits though. Maybe a nice dress with a bolero or jacket or a nice trouser suit with a pretty top and take off the jacket for the evening.

I know my dad will get changed for our evening reception (he's wearing a kilt for the ceremony and will change into trousers and shirt for the evening) and my step-mum will probably put on something less formal. Doesn't bother me at all to be honest. I would rather people feel comfortable and relaxed and sometimes people just aren't when they are more formally dressed.

• ClaireD*
    Beginner May 2014
    ClaireD* ·
    • Hide content

This is why I thought it was entirely normal.

I've been really worried about this thread. I've been a normal unimportant nobody guest at weddings where I've changed dresses when we've had an on-site bedroom (eg hotel venues). Actually I've done it at every wedding if we've been staying there, and not at any weddings were we weren't. It wasn't supposed to be me trying to make a statement, show off or trying to do something unusual, it was just normal at weddings where I grew up. Now I'm thinking I made some massive faux pas and people were criticising me at the time ?

• C
    Beginner
    cw2b ·
    • Hide content

My mum changed into a different outfit in the evening for my sisters wedding. If it's what you want to do, why not?!

• H
    Beginner November 2014
    Hisgirl ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Don't cry ?

I was surprised at how against it some people are (not meant as criticism, we're all different with varying opinions and that's what makes life interesting). Like you, it's always been been pretty normal to me for people to change for the evening reception. I highly doubt anyone was thinking bad about you, unless of course you changed into a long white dress or something lol x

• M
    Beginner June 2012
    miss h to mrs h ·
    • Hide content

At my sisters wedding last year both my step mum and the mother of the groom got changed for the night and it wasn't noticed. I didn't realise people felt so strongly about this sort of thing

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics