Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Becklarrr
Beginner

Mother of the Bride outfits

Becklarrr, 18 of March of 2013 at 10:39 Posted on Planning 0 13

My Mum has asked me to ask you lovely ladies (& gent) whether her outfit has in anyway got to match the bridesmaid outfit i.e. does it have to have a similar colour in it or can she go with whatever she likes?

OM's what did your Mum's wear when you got married?

13 replies

Latest activity by HappyGreenConfetti13345, 7 of December of 2017 at 00:07
  • Feb2014Bride
    Beginner February 2014
    Feb2014Bride ·
    • Hide content

I asked my mum if she would wear navy to match the bridesmaids - she was delighted.

But made it clear that it wasnt a requirement and if she couldnt find anything then just wear what she wanted in whatever colour. I personally just thought it would look lovely in the pictures and show she was part of the bridal party especially as the BM is walking her down the aisle before the bridesmaids.

Thinking about the weddings i have been to lately though none of the MOTB's matched the bridemaids.

• Pook82
    Beginner August 2012
    Pook82 ·
    • Hide content

OH, best man and my dad were in grey, BM was in this dress, my mum wore a red dress with a black jacket and MIL wore lilac - so nothing matched!!

• mum-wants-a-hat
    Beginner June 2013
    mum-wants-a-hat ·
    • Hide content

Mum was hoping to wear gunmetal silver grey to match the Bms but she found nothing within budget that looked striking enough (I want her to look wow as she's beautiful!) in the end I came across a stunning black and white number by berketex in simply be catalogue which she ordered and fell in love with. So she won't match our colour scheme at all but it doesn't bother me in the slightest- she will still look every inch the gorgeous motb.... I just can't wait to see her in it now eek!! :0) xx

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

I don't think they need to match at all - I would leave it entirely up to her.

My BMs were in cream and my mam was in bright pink. MIL was in a royal blue type colour.

It's up to her if she wants to complement them. Neutrals and browns might go nicely with the coral of your BMs?

• tayto
    Beginner May 2013
    tayto ·
    • Hide content

I can't flash the outfit my mum will wear to mine but I've got two she wore to my two sisters weddings. My bm's will wear royal blue and my mum is wearing an aqua blue/green outfit.

I've chopped the pics as I'm not sure she'd like me plastering her face over a wedding site! ?

For this one: the 'theme' colour was aubergine/purple:

<<pic removed>>

For this one, the colour was red

<<pic removed>>

• tayto
    Beginner May 2013
    tayto ·
    • Hide content

Just to add, both my mum and MIL were adamant they couldn't match the BM's - it seems to be the norm back home that everyone tries not to match the BM's. Bit silly really when outfits will be very different and different shades as well! I also remember being at a wedding where there was whispers of disgust that the groom's mum wore the same colours as the bride's mum! Again, silly really.

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

No, not the norm by any means! In fact, quite the opposite - let Mum wear what colour suits her and what she feels best in. As a Mum of the Bride myself, I feel quite passionate about this I'm afraid! Mum's have a hard enough time as it is finding something that fits, suits, feel good in, can possibly wear again and within budget. We don't need this added pressure LOL ?!!

• Becklarrr
    Beginner
    Becklarrr ·
    • Hide content

Thank you everyone! I said to Mum that she can wear what she wants and whatever colour she wants but she was the one who thought she had to wear a colour that matched the bridesmaid! I have now passed on the information!

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

how random, mine were the same!

My mum had a fuchsia dress and Mil had a royal blue flowery one, my BM's were in dusky pink.

I diddnt have any influence on her outfit, she chose it. She did start every single conversation for pretty mcuh the entire time I was engaged with "oh I have found a lovely fascinator/bolero/pair of shoes for the wedding..."

• 2b_MrsB
    Beginner June 2013
    2b_MrsB ·
    • Hide content

My understanding of this is that the MOB should be wearing something that will make her stand out from everyone else including the bridal party ( but not a colour that will clash with them in the photos), so I'd be inclined to suggest a contrasting colour rather than matching. But most of all, it should be something she is comfortable in, which makes her feel she looks her best.

• Mrs Monkey
    Beginner July 2013
    Mrs Monkey ·
    • Hide content

She doesn't have to match the bridal party. We are having a black and white colour scheme, but I asked my Mum not to - so it adds colour to our photographs. I also asked MIL not to...........so she comes home with a black and white outfit!!

• H
    Beginner May 2017
    HappyIvoryCars77 ·
    • Hide content

We also had the same idea in our mind when my elder sister got married but then considering my mom personality, we thought mom won’t be wearing the same funky dresses fashion-line all the bridesmaid going to wear.

Even my mom agreed but obviously we cancelled the plan because then it would be more difficult to find the matching jewellery and shoes. My mom wore the John Charles outfit and she looked absolutely stunning mother of the bride. Here is the picture of the dress my mom wore at the event.

http://johncharles.co.uk/collection.html

• emma.b
    emma.b ·
    • Hide content

There is no rule for that. Depend on your mum. My mum would like to wear something in different colours. She wants to feel more special.

• H
    Beginner
    HappyGreenConfetti13345 ·
    • Hide content

I had the same problem with my mom at our wedding . we ended up buying my moms mother of the bride dress from this site becasue they had a exact teal color we were looking for

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics