Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sarah
Beginner March 2024 Cambridgeshire

Mother of the Groom - Guest list!

Sarah, 23 of September of 2023 at 10:41 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 0 6
Hi all,

So we’re getting married March 2024 and we’ve just sent out the first invitations however the mother of the groom has some issues with our guest list.
We’re having a smaller wedding, only 55 people for the ceremony & then another 15 attending in the evening.
She’s got a problem that we haven’t invited her sister or her sisters partner. I don’t really want to invite them, the groom isn’t that bothered that they come either as he barely sees them either. She’s an ex-alcoholic (only recently) and I’ve only met her twice and the second time she didn’t say one word to me (groom & I have been together for almost 6 years)
Mother of the groom only wants her to attend so that she has someone else to help her with her mum during the day (groom’s Nan) - also there are plenty of other family remembers from the grooms side that could help…
Thoughts? Am I being unreasonable? At £55+ per person, it’s a large amount I could spend on other things

6 replies

Latest activity by Charlotte, 25 of September of 2023 at 14:06
  • H
    Expert November 2022 Lincolnshire
    Hayley ·
    • Hide content

You are not being unreasonable at all. This wedding is about you and your partner and it should be a day that matches your vision. If you don't have a close relationship with someone and can't picture them at your wedding then you don't have to invite them. No one is guaranteed a wedding invitation, and I don't think this sister is entitled to an invite if the only reason is to look after Nan.

Could your partner talk to his Mum, as it's his side of the family? Explain that you just want your closest family and friends at your wedding so unfortunately his aunt doesn't make the list. If he is clear that's the final decision and not up for negotiation then hopefully she will let it drop. If his Nan really does need support on the day then his Mum will have to make alternative arrangements. As you say, there may be other family already attending that could help.

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

If the groom's nan is so incapacitated that she needs three family members to act as carers at her wedding, then is she really up to attending a full wedding? Surely in that case, it's going to be enough for her to attend the ceremony, have a couple of photos and a celebratory drink and then go home. And if she doesn't need that level of care, then MILs argument is irrelevant.

• Sarah
    Beginner March 2024 Cambridgeshire
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    See this is what I agree with. His Nan although has mobility issues and needing support to walk (to get the toilet, into the venue etc) she’s happy to be sat with a pint in her hand 😂. She’s going to be sat with other family members who can help and support.

I’m glad to know I’m not just being irrational. I’m very much a chilled bride, I’m not that bothered about details and things but I ideally wanted people we love there
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm sure out of 55 people, there are going to be plenty of folk who are kind enough to give her an arm if she wants to move around. And even if MIL was the only person available, does Nan really need the loo so often that being the only person helping her get to it is going to be a full time job?!!! Sorry, it sounds to me as if this is just an excuse for MIL demanding the guest list she wants.

• A
    Dedicated March 2024 Essex
    Alison ·
    • Hide content
    Fellow March 2024 bride here! 👋🏻

You aren’t being unreasonable in not wanting to invite a guest that you think will cause problems however I would encourage you to think about the impact that looking after a relative with care needs will have on your MILs enjoyment of the day.
    My fiancé wants to invite his great uncle who has been like a grandfather to him however we have decided to invite him with a guest so that he can bring someone (probably one of his daughters) to help him out. Otherwise my MIL will spend the whole day getting him settled.
    Might a compromise be to do similar for your MILs mum? Invite her to bring a guest? This could be someone she knows or it could be paid help
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content

You could say they can come, if you have capacity, but ask the MIL to pay for them as you dont have the budget, or offer if you get any declines to then consider inviting them later. That being said, this is only to appease the MIL so if you do not want them there then I wouldn't offer, also, once you give in on one thing the demands will keep coming!

As others have said, there will be plenty of people who will help if needed. It is your day and your guest list, you are not being unreasonable and whilst she can ask, she should respect your choices and decisions. I think this is one your FH needs to tackle and speak to his mum, is not for for you to manage when it is on his side and there is clearly a concern over this persons attendance potentially causing a situation.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics