Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

*porsche*
Beginner January 2001

Mother putting a damper on everything..........

*porsche*, 16 February, 2011 at 10:15 Posted on Planning 0 7

A few months ago, upon deciding our colour scheme / theme, my mother decided to take it upon herself to tell the whole world, including my cousin who is getting married a few months later than us. So I told her to button it (in not so many words) and have since not really told her about everything I've booked / done.

I mentioned to her last night that I'd phoned a dress shop to book in to try some dresses on, her response was, "oh great, this is going to be a nightmare with you being so fussy". ? Shortly after, she spoke to my sis and started questioning her on what I'd done, if she'd seen an email I sent out to my bridesmaids and why hadn't she seen it etc etc.

I'm seriously considering not taking her with me to try on some dresses until I whittle it down to the last few dresses.

☹️

7 replies

Latest activity by FutureMrsRon, 16 February, 2011 at 13:45
  • Rebecca86
    Beginner July 2012
    Rebecca86 ·
    • Hide content

Oooh doesn't sound much fun !!

And you should be fussy when it comes to your dress i know i will be lol

Do you think trying to talk to her will help any?

Good Luck

XXx

• M
    Beginner August 2011
    MrsLove ·
    • Hide content

That's a hard one as it is your mum you are talking about....it was the other way round with me - I can't keep my mouth shut and started telling people about my colour scheme and my mum told me to stop!!

I agree with Rebecca, try and talk to her and tell her how you feel, but if she carries on then maybe you should just sort your wedding out between you, your OH and the bridesmaids and only involve your mum in the things that don't matter if she spreads them about?! It is YOUR wedding at the end of the day, be as fussy as you want!!

• rachieb13782
    Beginner August 2011
    rachieb13782 ·
    • Hide content

I know how you feel! mothers!

Mine doesnt want to come to my wedding unless i invite her boyfriend who she left my dad for only a year ago, and 3 days after i had my son!

If you think she will put a downer on the day, don't invite her and when you find the dream dress take her to see it! then she cant complain your being fussy!

Mothers are so stressful ☹️

• FutureMrsRon
    Beginner February 2012
    FutureMrsRon ·
    • Hide content

If that's her attitude to one of the most exciting parts of the wedding planning I'd be inclined to tell her where she can stick it and not even bother taking her at all lol

If she's not going to be any help then definitely don't take her, I went on my own and had a ball with the women in the dress shop, they were so lovely and actually prefer it if you don't take people who will either put a dampener on it or overpower you etc

It's the best feeling in the world to find your dress - don't risk having it spoilt by someone who clearly isn't there for the right reasons

Good luck with it

xxx

• Rizzo
    Beginner July 2011
    Rizzo ·
    • Hide content

I didn't want my mum to come dress shopping with me so I told her I didn't want her to see me in a wedding dress until I had found THE ONE and it was ordered in the correct size.

• Chidders
    Beginner June 2012
    Chidders ·
    • Hide content

Hi Nicola

I have a 'negative' Mum too!! I dont know why, but everything i say or do, she seems to think the opposite. Chin up, and try to keep the peace, I would dress hunt with your BM's or sister or whoever, and then as you say maybe take her along to your top 3! xx

• lovelygirl
    Beginner August 2011
    lovelygirl ·
    • Hide content

I knew my mum was not going to be fun to take dress shopping so i went and worked out what i liked first and that way i would not be swayed into getting something that was not right for me. It did put my mums nose out of joint but it did make the whole thing less stressful and much quicker!

• FutureMrsRon
    Beginner February 2012
    FutureMrsRon ·
    • Hide content

I went to a sample sale and bought 2 dresses on my own - my mum was in Canada at the time and didn't come back for another month lol

I arranged with the dress shop to take the main dress back in, then meet my mum there so she could see it, then I told her I'd already bought it. I didn't really care that she wasn't there when I picked it, and to be honest wasn't bothered about anyone being there, but I didn't want her to gripe to her friends how I'd made her miss out on this imagined mother daughter precious moment - which BTW when we did go to the shop she turned up with her friend!! LOL

I'm doing things my way and to hell with everyone else (except OHh of course!), if my mother doesn't like me to do what I want then she shouldn't have raised me to be independent and always told me to stand my ground when it came to my wedding

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics