Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Emily
Beginner March 2024 Gloucestershire

Mother wanting to wear white

Emily, 7 of December of 2023 at 13:15 Posted on Wedding Attire 0 6

I'm getting married in March next year and my mother is beginning to look at outfits. The issue I've having is that of the 4 she's shown me they are all white. I've asked her to not wear white / ivory etc but she doesn't seem to see the issue - am I over thinking this too much, should I just let her wear what she wants?

6 replies

Latest activity by Luke and Jemima, 15 of December of 2023 at 16:12
  • S
    Dedicated July 2024 West Midlands
    SL WaltonJones ·
    • Hide content
    If you've asked her not to she should respect your wishes. If she really won't budge maybe you can compromise so you'll let her wear a floral print white dress? I'm advising my mom and MIL on what to wear because they would like to wear a similar colour to each other and one within our theme
  • Emily
    Beginner March 2024 Gloucestershire
    Emily ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm not going to dictate what people wear but I figured that asking people not to white was a given! A floral pint dress is okay as a last resort but with literally all the other colours available I don't think I should have to compromise. Am I being too harsh on this?

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

If she's insisting on white, there's not much you can do about it. If you can find a dress in another colour that would really suit her, you could try a diversion - "Oh, wow! Look at that! That dress would be amazing on you!" and hope she goes for it instead, but I wouldn't stress over it too much. If she's insisting on picking white dresses against your specific request not to, it sounds as if she's at least partly doing it to get a reaction, so if you don't react, she might get bored and pick a dress in another colour anyway!

Unless she is going for a floor length gown or you are going for a short dress, there's not going to be any confusion over which one is the bride anyway. And any poor dress choice she makes is going to reflect badly on her, not you.

• K
    Beginner September 2024 South West London
    Kelly ·
    • Hide content
    Hi Emily,

Sorry to hear you're in this situation and I don't think it's unreasonable for you to ask your mother not to wear white. I feel like it's an unspoken rule for only the bride to wear that colour so not unreasonable at all. Also I'm sure she would want to avoid that embarrassing moment if someone thought she was the bride because of the colour she was wearing...
    I hope the matter gets resolved!
    Kelly
  • O
    Beginner November 2024 Somerset
    Ollie ·
    • Hide content
    No, stand your ground! Tell her she’s not wearing white
  • Luke and Jemima
    Beginner April 2024 Essex
    Luke and Jemima ·
    • Hide content

This is some toxic behaviour from your mum... I think you need to spell it out! You aren't being too harsh at all, your feelings are totally valid.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics