Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner

Mothers' Corsage Colors

MAG2FMC, 7 June, 2012 at 16:54 Posted on Planning 0 10

Right, so against my preference, we are having corsages made for the mothers. (I didn't want these as personally I'm not a huge fan -- it's just a personal preference -- but I was repeatedly told by my FMIL that it really should be done (though my own mother could care less), and so to avoid friction we relented and placed them on our order.) Well, she is insisting that hers match the color of her dress because that's traditionally how it goes. However, I would prefer that these coordinate with the bridal bouquet flowers. They won't clash and should coordinate with her dress -- or really any dress -- as the bridal flowers are soft whites and nudes. Also, I think these are should be a gift where the gift receiver is not dictating what she gets. But perhaps she is only coming from the angle of the way it's "done"? I actually don't know what the rules are here.

10 replies

Latest activity by kacy1988, 8 June, 2012 at 18:01
  • Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

I thought they matched the bridal flowers, but what do I know?! We had the same orchids for everyone, the mums' corsages were more elaborate, the 'bridal party' men got single orchids and the groom got a double, bridesmaids got similar to the mums' corsages but on a wrist corsage. One order, one style.

ETA she's free to order her own corsage in her own colours if she is going to be so picky about it, IMO!

• Perfection Weddings
    Beginner March 2012
    Perfection Weddings ·
    • Hide content

My mum also insisted having the colour to match her dress caused huge arguments and i gave in to shut her up she also insisted in getting one for ohs mum and she ended up shoving it in her handbag lol i couldnt help but laugh as it served her right for causing so many arguments.

at the end of the day though i didnt really notice her corsage on the day lol so id just give in for an easy life lol !

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

Traditionally, Mums do wear corsages and generally speaking, they should ideally match their outfits. However, if there is no specific bridal colour theme other than neutral colours, then a neutral one is fine. To be honest, I've seen many a Mothers outfit ruined by the Bride insisting that she should wear the bridal colours which have obviously clashed with the colour of the Mum's outfit. For me, it seems a shame when they have gone to so much trouble searching for, buying, and choosing accessories that the whole look is spoilt by a non-co-ordinating corsage.

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content

Rather luckily, both of our mothers' outfits tie in with the flowers we're having. My mother is in a dusky pink, and Mr RB's mother is in purple. The bridal flowers are a mixture of pinks, lilacs, purples and blues, so it all works really well. If, however, they'd been wearing something completely different colour wise, I would have let them chose flowers that went with their outfits, rather than insisting they wear bridal colours. As it is, I've still double checked with them both to make sure they are happy with what the florist has suggested for them.

• M
    Beginner
    MAG2FMC ·
    • Hide content

Just to clarify: my bridal flower colors do not have my bridal colors in them. Rather, they are neutrals: soft whites and nudes. They don't have the mothers' colors in them but they'll coordinate nicely as they're neutrals. I'd never ask anyone to have flowers that clashed!

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

My mother and MIL chose their colours well after we chose our wedding colours... so IMO if they were worried about 'clashing' they had plenty of time to think about it. If the bridal flowers clashed with the mums' outfits then surely they'd clash with the whole wedding colours. We had fairly 'neutral' flower colours as it was but that's how I feel about it.

• Aurora Borealis
    Beginner June 2013
    Aurora Borealis ·
    • Hide content

I didn't even know you were supposed to get Mums corsages until I read it on hitched. I can't see how they can object to a neutral colour that fits in with the wedding colours and will also coordinate with their outfits.

• S
    Beginner December 2013
    sugarloaf ·
    • Hide content

I spoke to my mother about this and she said that while she didn't really care that much about it, the safest thing would be to get something that's mostly white- especially if that's what you're planning to have in your bouquet. I went to a wedding last year where all the people wearing corsages wore a single white rose and that worked very well (and apparently was relatively inexpensive)

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content

We've let our mums choose their own flowers, I wanted them to have their own favourites and to match what they wanted to their own outfits.

D's mum is wearing coral and white and is having white daisies. My mum is wearing an outfit in varying shades of blue but actually wanted pink flowers, so she is having pink roses, a peony and small purple trachellium in her corsage. My step-mum is wearing a sort of beigey nude coloured outfit and her corsage is an ivory rose with pink and white orchids.

• K
    Beginner August 2012
    kacy1988 ·
    • Hide content

I bought my flowers early on (fake one)

i gave mum & fmil the corsages i had bought and said if they wanted to wear it they could but if they wanted to buy their own or not wear one that was fine too.

they're both wearing the ones i bought

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics