Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

yes2011
Beginner

Mother's wedding ring or buy own ring?

yes2011, 7 of February of 2011 at 18:19 Posted on Planning 0 13

Hi all,

my Mom gave me her wedding ring from her first marriage when I was younger. It's a small rose gold plain band which find very pretty and it fits to my yellow gold engagement ring. Also, she and my late father had put their gold jewelry that they had at the time together to have their rings made from that. When I told her I'm thinking about having this as my wedding ring and get my OH a bespoke similar ring, she said: "I'd like for you to have your own ring."

Now I'm having second thoughts - should I look for my own ring now? I had thought she'd be over the moon. And now I start thinking it would be nice to have something new, too, to celebrate my new life.

Any thoughts? Has anyone of you "used" a vintage/historic family ring for their wedding?

Thanks!

Anja

13 replies

Latest activity by Cosyjewelry, 12 of August of 2022 at 11:31
  • Browny
    Beginner June 2011
    Browny ·
    • Hide content

Awww that sounds lovely! She's probably saying that so you dont feel like you have to have it but I think its a lovely idea. If you'd have something similar anyway then why not?

• Gurzle
    Beginner April 2013
    Gurzle ·
    • Hide content

Hi Anja

My dad is Greek and his mum died before I was born - I have her wedding ring and I am going to have that as my wedding ring. It is a tiny plain gold band which is lovely just because it was hers.

K x

• tinks269
    Beginner February 2011
    tinks269 ·
    • Hide content

Not quite the same but we have just had a new engagement rind designed and made (we were always going to do this). What we did was take some of the gold my gran left me which i would never wear and sold it, we added my mum's engagement diamond (she was going to give it to me as a wedding present) and then added some money ourselves and I now have my dream ring. I guess what i am saying is you dont have to have either or have you thought about adding something to your mums ring, that way you would have the history from it and yet have something new for yourself.

• nicholsonsgems
    nicholsonsgems ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

What a lovely idea to wear the ring your late father gave to you mother when they married. I also understand your need to have something to reflect your married life. Could you wear both, one on either side of your engagement ring? If you think that would look "too much" on one had, perhaps you could wear your mothers' wedding ring on the other hand.

Elaine

PS. We have seen an increase in couples buying vintage wedding rings

• Snuggle-bum
    Beginner July 2011
    Snuggle-bum ·
    • Hide content

You say first marriage.....does that mean your mum re-married? If so that may well be the reason why she'd like you to have your own, just a thought x

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content

I've got my Mum's engagement ring and I'm hoping to use her wedding ring too...

• theflowerco
    theflowerco ·
    • Hide content

I have my Mums wedding ring, when they were married 25 years, my Dad bought her a platinum band to match the engagement ring they could only afford years after they had married.

My Mum was honoured when my hubby asked for it, but my Nan was was horrified! so on our first anniversary, my Hubby had 2 marquise diamonds set into it.

We have been married 15 years this year, and my parents 45

I love the fact that I have something of theirs

Zoe xx

• yes2011
    Beginner
    yes2011 ·
    • Hide content

Hi all,

thanks for your thoughts and ideas! My Mom remarried after my father died (the second marriage ended in divorce). Maybe she had some thougth about that, you might be right.

Anja

• D
    Beginner
    Doodle ·
    • Hide content

We used my late grandparents rings - its lovely to have something from them and the fit us without adjustment so we thought it was fate!

• S
    Beginner May 2012
    ShellG ·
    • Hide content

Maybe use the ring but have diamonds added to make it 'yours?'

• yes2011
    Beginner
    yes2011 ·
    • Hide content

Adding diamonds... I like the idea. The band is quite slim (my Mom actually thinks it wore off or something) so I'm not sure what fits into that. But good idea, I should just go to a jewelry shop and let them have a look.

Thanks for all your replies, really appreciated!

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content

We are kind of doing this. I had 2 22 carat gold rings and 1 white gold ring from my grans. None of these fit either me or h2b. H2b wanted a gold band, I wanted white gold (to go with my vintage white gold engagement ring).

We had them melted down to make 1 gold ring for h2b and 1 white gold ring for me.

If the white gold one had been appropriate I would have used it (it had to be melted down as it was really wide and had a pattern on it and was 4 sizes too big) as it was! I love vintage and also the idea of re-using familt heirlooms.

I love rose gold too! You should totally use your mum's ring, how lovely! It will go nicely with your gold ER too.

• yes2011
    Beginner
    yes2011 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the ideas and tips! I ended up buying a ring in yellow gold (eternity ring) that matches my finance's ring except the diamonds. I decided to do that because I want to keep my Mom's ring as my Mom's ring - and wear it every time I think of her or if I'm in the mood. And also because I really love the new ring Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics