Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner June 2022 Wiltshire

Moving house after giving notice

Laura, 18 of November of 2021 at 16:13 Posted on Planning 0 6

I'm getting married in June next year and need to sort our our appointment for giving notice of marriage.

There's a slight complication with our living situation - we have just sold our property in SW London (due to complete in Dec/Jan) but our onward purchase won't be ready. To avoid the chain collapsing we are intending to move in with family in Essex until we can complete on our purchase (this seems like it probably won't happen before the wedding now).

Should we give our notice before we move from our existing property? If we do, how does this work when we no longer actually live at that address?

Thanks in advance!

6 replies

Latest activity by ZunduLord, 22 of July of 2023 at 22:39
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content

I would speak to the registrars office and explain the situation and see what they say. you have plenty of time so can wait till March/April really, and by then you may have a better understanding of where you are living, as I guess it depends if you are moving out of the district, you may end up having to give notice on another area. Our area are not allowing appts over 2 months before the date due to backlog so it could be the same, I would call them and get advice

• S
    Dedicated March 2022 Hampshire
    Samantha ·
    • Hide content
    I’m not sure if it’s the same where you are but you can’t give notice until 3 months before your wedding at the moment due to covid 🙄 I get married in March and still can’t do it yet, I’m panicking a tad 😂
  • L
    Laura ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

See this is where it's confusing for me! Where we currently live, we can do it now. But where we are moving to temporary accommodation, it's two months before. But then the area we are moving to permanently is three months before. So I have no idea what to do!

• L
    Laura ·
    • Hide content

In case anyone is following this and looking for an answer. I spoke with the Wiltshire registrar office today (where we are getting married) and they said if you move house after you give your notice, that is fine and it doesn't invalidate it Smiley smile On the wedding day before the ceremony, the registrar will ask if you've moved house and ask for your new address then.

Plus they said they are recommending not giving notice until 3 months before at the moment because if Covid postpones your wedding, your notice is only valid for 12 months so you could have to pay for it again. Hope this helps!

• Lolana9
    Beginner June 2022 East Central London
    Lolana9 ·
    • Hide content

My husband and I have moved into a new house and we are currently preparing to renovate our bedroom! It's very important to us so we want to make it as cosy and beautiful as possible!

• K
    Beginner November 2027 Pembrokeshire
    Kendrick ·
    • Hide content

Hello there! I understand this is an old thread, but I wanted to share my 2 cents in case someone still needs help with marriage. In terms of living situation, it can definitely complicate things when you're in the process of selling or purchasing a property. It's a good idea to move in with family in Essex to avoid any potential issues with the chain collapsing. I'd recommend you give your notice of marriage before moving from your existing property. You can use your current address as the one on the notice, and then update it once you've moved in with your family in Essex. It's important to keep the Registrar informed of any changes in your address or living situation. Actually, you can also contact decosta group to get help with your property. I hope this helps! Let me know how your wedding went! I hope it was great.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics