Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Barefoot
Beginner August 2012

*** Mrs H to be's Beach Wedding Report *** (updated with reception report/pics)

Barefoot, 28 of August of 2012 at 14:42 Posted on Planning 0 65

The background:

J and I first met in April 2004. My ex husband had walked out on me in the January and I’d pretty much shut myself away for the winter. With the advent of spring, I realised life couldn’t go on like that forever. I did 2 things – I signed up to a dating website and I also agreed to meet up with some people from a climbing/mountaineering internet forum that I’d joined. I soon met a great guy online, D, who lived 3hrs away but we met and had a lot in common. In April at the meet up in the Lake District, I met J. I have no idea what he first thought of me. I was very screwed up and couldn’t really cope with company, so got drunk all weekend. Of him, all I really remember was that he spent a day leading a small group of us on a scrambly walk, then managed to crack 2 ribs slipping on sheep poo in the campsite! We didn’t meet again for some time, during which D and I continued our relationship.

Autumn 2004 – I go on a couple more trips with the climbing group during which time I get to know J better. Find out J fancies me and I panic. Friend, OK, climbing partner, OK, but I don’t really see him in any other way.

Summer 2005 (I think) – D tells me he is going to get back with his ex. We still see each other occasionally until a couple of years later I find out his (no longer) ex is pregnant and they are getting married. J is still there as my climbing partner and friend, but by now I’ve had enough of men leaving me and I’m simply not prepared to commit to anyone. J and I have a bit of a “friends with benefits” relationship for a while and go on a few mountaineering trips together, but mentally I am still very distant. We do discuss buying a house together, but never really do anything about it. In these “in between” years I support J through a bad shoulder injury and operation, and he looks after me when I couldn’t walk after a back injury. Precursor to “in sickness and in health”?

April 2010 – my cousin’s wedding. I have a bit of a moment after various family members imply “you’ll be next then?”, and break down in tears realising that I’m being very unfair to J. I need to either make a proper go of it, or tell him and split up. After a few days of soul searching I decide to give it a proper go. And you know what? From that moment on everything gets much better.

January 2011 – J proposes on a mountain in Scotland. First of all, I say no, because I don’t want the hassle of a wedding again. Also he asked me in precisely the same way my ex husband did, and I was upset about that. A week later he asked again at St Dwynwen’s Cross on Anglesey (I’m half Welsh and St Dwynwen is the equivalent of St Valentine) and I said yes, on condition we elope!

June 2011 – after months of looking, we find our house in the country, and after lots of stress that we deal with together we moved in in October, precisely 2 weeks before work sent me back to uni for 8 months.

And so to conclude this part, we have known each other for 8yrs during which we have weathered illness, injury, poverty, debt and escaping it, a new career for me, 2 job changes for him, a house move, bereavement on his side, a uni course and exams, and of course, planning the amazing beach wedding!

65 replies

Latest activity by LexiiLovee1990, 8 of October of 2012 at 10:55
  • Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

The lead up:

Well, I finished my course on 2nd July, and spent the next week sorting out professional registration forms. I was working silly shifts, J’s Dad stayed with us for 1 day a week, and we hadn’t started packing. We were flying out on 4th August. My only day off work was 3rd, so we spent 3rd August doing last minute shopping and, finally, packing!

4th August:

Disaster – I woke up unable to move. I think I must have slept badly but I had pulled all the muscles and ligaments down my right shoulder blade. I was in absolute agony and needed a lot of codeine to be able to get out of bed. My parents were giving us a lift to Heathrow, and by the time we got to their house I was so dosed up on opiates I was on the verge of passing out and terrified I wouldn’t be allowed to fly. With a combination of 3 or 4 different painkillers we got down to the airport. We had already decided that we would have dinner at Gordon Ramsay’s in the terminal before flying, which was lovely and gave a quiet corner to sit and relax in, away from the usual airport chaos. Best of all, once they saw my wedding dress box, they sent over complimentary champagne!

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

5th August:

After landing at Dar es Salaam and transferring to a very small light aircraft for the hop over to Zanzibar, we finally arrived at our first hotel mid morning. And VERY disappointed. It was relatively cold, cloudy, windy, and the “beach” was mud flats covered in scrubby weeds. We both agreed it looked horrible and we had probably made a mistake getting married here without seeing it first in person. J was on the verge of tears but I felt awful since I had suggested it. After an hour or so sulking in our (very nice) room, we decided we should make the most of it and went to doze in the sun by the pool. Yes, sun! It seemed that here the weather was generally miserable in the morning and improved in the afternoon. Even better, as the tide came in, all the mud was covered over and by 5pm there was, if not a perfect white sand beach, a pretty acceptable sandy stretch.

6th August: The day before the wedding

At 9am we met the wedding co-ordinator Sjani, and the priest who would marry us, Fr. Charles. Sjani was lovely, like Mum and matron of honour rolled into one, and was able to reassure me about a few issues I had. A main one was that we had seen staff decorating a white plastic arch, and no way was I going to marry under a plastic arch. I’d been told before leaving the UK that they had a little hut that could serve as a beach chapel, and that’s what I wanted. No problem, said Sjani. I would be spared the arch! We filled in our marriage certificates as well so all we’d have to do on the day was sign them. That felt VERY weird, but it was great to be able to state “paramedic” as my profession, since I’d received confirmation of my registration 2 days before we flew out!

The rest of the day we spent together sightseeing in Stonetown, and buying some souvenirs, the most important of which was my diamond and tanzanite pendant. I had my something old (my late grandmother’s ring) my something new (the dress), my borrowed (J’s late grandmother’s handkerchief) but nothing blue. Perfect excuse for some new jewellery then, and being in Tanzania, it was the obvious choice. We had a relaxed dinner that night in the sports bar, watching the sunset and listening to the waves on the beach.

• Flumpkin
    Beginner December 2012
    Flumpkin ·
    • Hide content

Come on more please!!

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

7th August – the big day

We woke up together pretty early, and sat in bed opening all the cards we’d taken out with us. We then went down to breakfast feeling rather naughty – we had a secret that no-one else in the dining area knew – we were getting married that afternoon! After a late breakfast I went to the hotel’s little spa to have my nails done – I’d had a full manicure in the UK a week earlier but the varnish was looking tatty so I needed it redone. The lady was nice but spoke very little English and it was fairly dark in the spa. I just asked for natural, pale nails and let her get on with it. Then I walked out into the light, and – aaargh! My nails were blancmange pink. Ugh! On top of that, whereas the previous day had been beautiful weather, today it was dark, very cloudy, cool, and definitely threatening rain. I went up to our room and just broke into tears – I think everything had just got on top of me. The first honeymoon hotel we had booked really did rely on good weather since there would be nothing to do except lounge in the sun and relax, so it wasn’t just the wedding that was stressing me, it was the whole holiday and the thought that we’d spent £xxxxx for bad weather. At this point Sjani came up to see how we were doing and to let us know timings for the afternoon, and saw me in bits. I explained I couldn’t possibly ask the spa lady to redo my nails since it would be rude, and Sjani just gave me a hug then made 2 phone calls. First, to her make up artist to tell her she would now need to redo my nails as well, and second to the next hotel on a different part of the island to get a weather report and reassure me.

J and I had wanted to spend the morning doing something like sea kayaking or sightseeing, but in the end time and stress caught up with us, and before we knew it it was about midday. I’d been told we would need to go our separate ways from 2pm, so we had a little walk around the hotel grounds, read our books for a while, then went to the bar for a lazy lunch.

At about 2pm, Jez was shown to a separate guest room to get himself ready, and I was descended on by Cindy and Daja, the make up and hair ladies, plus Sala the photographer we’d flown in from Tanzania and a guy doing some brief video clips. Sjani asked if I’d like a glass of champagne – I hesitated since I didn’t want to drink too much, then she said “I’ll get you a bottle, don’t worry”! So there I was, being pampered, having a laugh with Sjani’s team and feeling SO calm and relaxed. Sjani and her assistant Tanya then appeared with a bunch of white bougainvillea and some frangipani, and asked how I would like my bouquet. Bouquet?! I hadn’t booked one, and honestly thought I’d be having just a posy of flowers from the gardens, but having seen no ground growing flowers, had given up on that idea. I said I liked frangipani for my hair, and Sjani said it was out of season at the moment so there wasn’t much around, but since I liked it so much, she’d send someone up a tree to get more, and that my flowers would be ready by 4 – she also took J’s grandmother’s handkerchief to pin round the bouquet she was making.

During this time I also wanted to open my card and gifts from J. He had bought me a freshwater pearl and diamond necklace with matching bracelet, and a welsh lovespoon with our names and the wedding date on it. He had also written me a 7 page letter. He said he had never written me a love letter in all these years, so it seemed the right time. 7 pages of why he loved me – some of it sweet, some of it serious, some of it downright naughty!

And what was my darling husband doing during all this time? Was he bored? Lonely? Stressed? Was it all getting too much for him? Errm no:

Apparently after spending about 30mins getting ready, he’d installed himself in the sports bar with a few beers, and was watching the Olympics J (and most annoyed to have to have a photo underneath a S. African rugby flag when he’s a huge Saints and England fan!) Still, he was ready when they called him to the “beach chapel” and still smiling:

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

So, it was time for me to get into my dress which Sjani had spent a fair time steaming for me. I seem to have lost enough weight, thank goodness, and the shop’s tip of using a crochet hook to do up the 30 tiny buttons came in very useful!

Everyone then left me for 15 mins or so, to have some time alone. I made a quick phone call to my father to let him know I was about to walk down the aisle, and that he would be with me in spirit, finished my glass of bubbly, said a quick prayer, and then Sjani and Sala came to get me. I walked down the stairs and through the flower-lined pathways, had to stop for some photos on a little bridge, and was then met by the local drummers and dancers to lead me out onto the beach. I remember thinking that it was just so amazing, then seeing the priest and J waiting in the “chapel”, J’s massive smile and “wow!” face, some people watching from the pool about 100m away (Sjani had cleared the beach of holidaymakers for us), and just being so, so happy.

The dancers parted and I made my way towards J, who helped me up the steps (at which point one of the controversial sleeves on my dress came off and J had to rapidly fix it back – complaint already in to the shop!), and said I looked beautiful. Father Charles asked if we were ready, and the service began. It truly was the most amazing, intimate, romantic, spiritual and beautiful service. We had the full C of E marriage service with traditional vows and prayers, and it seemed to be so much more intense since it was just the 2 of us. We had a little laugh when Father Charles asked if anyone knew any reason why we should not marry, since he then proceeded to scan the beach for anyone at all with an imaginary telescope! After 15-20mins or so we had exchanged rings, had our prayers and blessing, signed the register (Sjani and Sala were our witnesses) and were walking down the steps out onto the beach, champagne in hand – Sjani really did think of everything!

• ~Peanut~
    Beginner December 2012
    ~Peanut~ ·
    • Hide content

Wow it all looks absolutely beautiful! Loving it so far!

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

This is a gorgeous report!!!

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

And now, the beach elopement really came into its own. Rather than have to pose for formal photos, meet and greet family or friends and be asked a load of questions, we could really be ourselves. No-one to “perform” for. It was suggested that we take a walk along the beach together with no-one following us for a while, just to let it all sink in. I remember lots of laughter, hugs, and talking about sthg completely banal and unromantic, but smiling and saying to each other “whoever’s taking photos really has no idea what we’re talking about do they?” So in some of our photos where it looks like we’re whispering sweet nothings, we were probably talking about who’s turn it was for the washing up when we get home!

Anyway, we strolled along the beach for a while, then Sala came to get us and asked if we’d walk through a nearby ruined palace for some photos. During this time we were serenaded by a local jazz duo. We had a bit of a play in the palace and got some lovely photos, before going back to the beach in time for sunset.

Finally, the sun was setting, and it was time for our wedding breakfast. We knew they were going to lay a table on the beach for us, but had no idea how lovely it would be – decorated with candles and lanterns.

We stayed down on the beach for our meal, but then by about 10pm walked up to the bar where the “team” were chatting, and we all sat and had drinks together, before we sleepily collapsed into bed. A lovely end to an absolutely perfect afternoon!

• Becklarrr
    Beginner
    Becklarrr ·
    • Hide content

You looked gorgeous! I love your dress! And i love that last picture with the sparklers!

Great report Smiley smile

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

We do have a little music/photo montage of some more great photos, including more playful ones in the sea. I can't embed it on here, but this is the link if anyone's interested (you may have to download but it doesn't take long!)

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BwEDqnHzsgvtbUpWelBSV0FyODA

HUGE N&P for the following:

For full wedding co-ordination, being my MOH and Mum all rolled into one, and for arranging a church wedding on the beach - Sjani @ Zanzibar Weddings

For amazing photos, Sala Lewis

For pulling together all our random travel arrangements and honeymoon with multiple internal flights, transfers and hotels, plus coping with me changing the date at late notice - Alastair @ Imagine Africa

We had our UK reception last weekend and I'll update when I get photos from relatives/friends to add in. Suffice to say, it really was done for everyone else, not for us. Our actual wedding was "us"! I did wonder whether, on the day, I'd regret not having family there, but I really, really didn't.

OK, that's just about it. Anyone wanting any advice/info on weddings abroad, please feel free to ask. Quite simply though - I wouldn't have done a thing differently. Not one Smiley smile

xx MrsH (soon to return as Barefoot Beach Bride!)

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

Oh WOW just wow... everything looks and sounds absolutely wonderful. I have massive photo envy! You look so beautiful and so happy. Huge congrats to you and your husband!

• sal.san
    Beginner December 2011
    sal.san ·
    • Hide content

I couldnt wait to keep refreshing my screen so i could get to the next part!

Absolutely beautiful. You had YOUR wedding YOUR way. Congratulations to you both. It looks amazing.

• Fergo
    Beginner December 2012
    Fergo ·
    • Hide content

What a lovely report and fabulous pictures. Congratulations Mrs H!!

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

Beautiful in EVERY way- massive congratulations to you both.

• Flamin Nora
    Beginner August 2013
    Flamin Nora ·
    • Hide content

Beautiful x

• gee_gee
    Beginner August 2013
    gee_gee ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations! I love your dress - perfect for a beach wedding Smiley smile

• HayleyMay
    Beginner September 2012
    HayleyMay ·
    • Hide content

Every detail is beautiful. I so wanted to get married abroad (its the only thing my OH was adamantly against), this wedding is exactly how I pictured mine for years and years. Lovely dress, setting, etc. Gorgeous.

• Tracey86
    Beginner October 2012
    Tracey86 ·
    • Hide content

Gorgeous report, everything looks beautiful. Congratulations!

• Soybean
    Beginner March 2011
    Soybean ·
    • Hide content

Stunning, you look beautiful, what a lovely wedding, huge congratulations!

• MrsCToBe2013
    Beginner August 2013
    MrsCToBe2013 ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations! it looks stunning! you look so happy and relaxed Smiley smile

• ESW
    Beginner September 2012
    ESW ·
    • Hide content

You look stunning, both of you so happy.

The photo's are amazing, very jealous! I love the ones in the ruins - congratulations xx and thank you for sharing you special day x

• Blue&bling
    Beginner July 2014
    Blue&bling ·
    • Hide content

Wow the photos are lovely and your dress is beautiful! Congratulations! x

• far2calm
    Beginner May 2012
    far2calm ·
    • Hide content

Lush... Its looks an amazing place.

• FaeBelle13
    Beginner April 2013
    FaeBelle13 ·
    • Hide content

I remember reading about your dress trouble and seemed like you were having a lot of stress in the lead up. Looks like your day was completely perfect in the end, you look stunning. Congratulations xx

• RedKitchie
    Beginner August 2013
    RedKitchie ·
    • Hide content

Stunning! A perfect elopement.

• F
    Beginner September 2012
    Fawny ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations, sounds like you had an amazing day. Really glad it all worked out so well in the end.

• mummymrs2b
    Beginner April 2013
    mummymrs2b ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations! X

• mrsgreatbatch2b
    Beginner July 2012
    mrsgreatbatch2b ·
    • Hide content

Such a beautiful wedding. You looked gorgeous, that's just the kind of dress I would of picked if i'd got married abroad.

x

• Katscamel
    Katscamel ·
    • Hide content

Big Congrats fellow Zanzibar bride. Glad you had such a lovely time. My view of the beach at Mtoni was the same as yours when I first went there a few years ago - and soon asked to be moved to a 'proper' beach.

I had the same hairdresser as you - amazing woman and Sjani and Tanya - fab planners. Don't know if you got to see Sjani's 'office' where she keeps all the decor stuff - it's like a little girls fantasy room.

Shame about the nails - I did mean to leave you a note before I left to tell you to head up to Lemon spa in town but in all the excitement I forgot ☹️ sorry.

My OH did exactly the same as yours lol - but also managed some lunch.

• unexpectedpenny
    Beginner January 2013
    unexpectedpenny ·
    • Hide content

Gorgeous photos! Also, congrats on your paramedic registration! My dad recently changed jobs to become a paramedic and I know how difficult it can be!

• leni-lw!
    Beginner November 2011
    leni-lw! ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations! lovely photo's looked like a stunning place to get wed Smiley smile did you get engaged on Llanddwyn beach ?? and congrats on your paramedic registration

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone Smiley smile

Katscamel - we did hope to meet up with you, but some things are not meant to be. Where's your report anyway?!

Leni - yes, we got engaged at Llanddwyn, but actually walked out onto the promontory and he proposed at the foot of the cross.

I will add reception report/photos in the next week, but that will only be brief. For us, the Africa trip was the wedding, and the rest rather insignificant. I'll add it though, because we had some great suppliers I'll recommend in our local area.

xC

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics