Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Little Madam
Beginner

M&S £50 suit?

Little Madam, 18 October, 2010 at 09:12 Posted on Planning 0 13

I am just having a read of the reviews of Moss Brothers suit hire and am shocked by just how bad they are! I would be very upset if i'd paid £100 per suit and they were not right!

So I have started to think of alternatives - and we have the "local" option, but we are looking at spending an extra £30 per suit plus we won't get one free for hiring more than 4. So we are looking at an extra £280 - which seems like a lot on top of the original £500.

Then I remembered a post about the £50 M&S suit - has anyone seen these up close? I am wondering whether we could get these with a matching waiscoat and Cravat and then at least they would be there when we needed them and would fit correctly? But in the same breath I don't want them to look cheap / tacky!

13 replies

Latest activity by Mrs C, 18 October, 2010 at 16:29
  • BespokeTailor
    BespokeTailor ·
    • Hide content

Marks and Sparks are excellent value for money. i could not even buy enough fabric for a suit (direct from a mill) for £50! so to purchase a whole suit for £50.00 is incredible. Here is a link:

http://www.marksandspencer.com/Pound-49-50-Suits-Mens/b/474998031?ie=UTF8&pf_rd_r=0BADJZC2VRN4J4W8F99T&pf_rd_m=A2BO0OYVBKIQJM&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B002RH5YY6&pf_rd_p=470877813&pf_rd_s=global-top-10

But ..... if you buy the suit, you will still need a waistcoat, cravat, handkerchief? and a shirt?

So £50.00 suit

waistcoat £35-£40

cravat: £15 - £25

hank: £4.00

shirt £15 - £25.00

So £104.00 each. And the wedding party are wearing a £50.00 suit for their wedding. Not great value, in my opinion.

As an example, my shop is quite expensive to hire from (well above average).

If you had the Worcester range :

https://www.jackbunneys.co.uk/worcester.htm

Everything you see in that picture would cost £735.00 to buy. Or £160.00 to hire for one. Or £130.00 to hire if you hire 6. More expensive I know but they guys are then wearing £700.00 suits rather than £50.00 ones.

I am only using my shop as an example, and I am more expensive than most. Try out the local place, you never know, they may be good value.

Marc

• greenleaf
    greenleaf ·
    • Hide content

Bespoke tailor has a point and its all about value for money, what you want to spend and the quality you want... I know a few people that the groom has bought a suit (so that he has one for the future as well) and the rest of the party hires.

If your set on buying have a look at next as they do grey waistcoats that fit there suits.

Just what ever you choose make sure that the fit is correct... I imagine bespoke tailor makes sure that all hires that go out are a perfect fit.

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

See OH is wearing military uniform so he won't be wearing anything cheap and to be honest, I don't want to be mean but if we got OHs dad / BM a £50 suit - it would be the most expensive one in their wardrobes. OHs dad is tight and BM doesn't "do" suits, so it won't bother them!

I would rather hire them to be honest, it's just that I am just concerned about the rentals companies ability to provide what we need on the day, and i'd rather that they all matched and had stuff that fitted than 6 out of my 7 men being fine in nice expensive suits except for one who could be wearing trousers a size to small / dirty shirt / wrong colour etc.

That said I am not willing to pay more than £130 per suit, which is what my local stockists would want. They already coming in at more than my dress and OHs uniform and thats the 2 outfits that realistically we are most concerned over.

• greenleaf
    greenleaf ·
    • Hide content

Have you checked greenwoods as they do £70 suits i believe and as they hire as well i imaging you could sort something out with waistcoats and cravats. TBH if the groom is in millitary uniform why not just get matching ties.

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

I've never heard of them, but will have a good google now.

Thanks for your help - it might be worth considering the matching tie idea, I am just worried about my nearest and dearests ability to pick a nice suit themselves.

My dads fave suit is BROWN! And he got married in it! I'd have killed him and my FIL2B isn't much better! My brother tends to go to River island and buy the "skinny fit" trousers - it could well be a disaster!

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

Green leaf - thanks for your recommendation - Greenwoods looks like just the kind of thing I need! They have stores reasonably local to me and up north where OHs family live and their "in stock 2 weeks before" policy is just what i'm after!

• BespokeTailor
    BespokeTailor ·
    • Hide content

Kayl, I hope you didn't take my comments to heart. I am a self confessed suit snob. ? and as such I would not wear a Marksys suit for my wedding.

I never realised your OH was wearing his uniform and will look better than the other guys no matter what they wear!

To be honest with you I agree about the hiring suits thing, I have seen some terrible mistakes on here and other forums by the big hire companies. My brother is a dry-cleaner and he does alot of cleaning with his local hire shop, he is always telling me how bad the quality of their stuff is, he told me once that some of the hire suits have done over 100 hires. But each hire company is different, we all have different standards.

The M&S suit is excellent value for money and with a matching tie may be the way to go. (at least you coudl return them if they didn't fit ? )

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

My OH is getting his and his BM suit from next - grey slim fit suit jacket, trousers and waistcoat are £110, the suit is a really good fit and feels like really good quality (although I have never seen a £700 suit so have nothing really to compare it to!)

He also looked at getting the £50 M&S tuxedo a few months back for a wedding and again that to me looked really good.

Personally I would rather pay some money for a nice suit and keep it, than pay for a rental and have to give it back... but that is me! And as you have said, they are not really "suit" people!

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

Aw nope you didn't offend me Bespoke Tailor - you are the expert and I wanted the info! Smiley smile Thanks for giving me something to think about.

I am a little bit tied as to what to do - on one hand Greenwoods hire looks like they offer the kind of reassurance I am after, and I can check the quality of the ones we see on show and the ones we will be given as they will be available 2 weeks before - long enough for me to change my mind and make a dash to M&S if needs be?!

Decisions decisions - I will have to talk with H2b - maybe the matching tie will surfice considering the beautiful buttonholes we have for them..

MrsC - keeping the suits does appeal to me, especially as my brother is likely to be married soon and then I would be happy my nearest and dearest had nice suits and didn't show him up! lol.

• Bobbins30
    Beginner November 2010
    Bobbins30 ·
    • Hide content

Sorry, bit late to this thread, looks like you've had some good advice already.

Just wanted to say that my OH actually has one of the £50 suits and it's very nice. He would have worn it to our wedding it just wasn't quite right with the colour scheme so we decided to hire them instead. That said, neither of us are 'into' suits so wouldnt know the difference between the M&S one and a more upmarket one. You could get your OH to just try one on (I know he's not going to be wearing one but it'll give you an idea) and then do the same in a hire shop and compare the two.

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

See now i'm thinking about it - I work in quite a formal environmen where everyone wears a suit everyday so I am worried I might notice a "cheap" suit compared to an expensive one - especially now i've seen a few in Moss / my dress shop.

For example a colleague recently wore a polyester suit and it looked awful.! So shiny and cheap - i'd hate to anyone not feel AWESOME on our wedding day when they look in the mirror!

That said - Dad feels AWESOME in his brown suit - which he is not wearing! haha.

I think I might take your advice though Bobbins and drag OH to the shops at the weekend! Poor H2B. Smiley smile

• Bobbins30
    Beginner November 2010
    Bobbins30 ·
    • Hide content

Tell him it could be worse, and you could be shopping for you!

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

Haha that would be bad, but not as bad as shoe shopping! Poor man!

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

My H2B recently bought a grey suit for a wedding we went to... loads pf people asked where he got him from only for their jaws to drop when he said Primark!!!!

They didn't believe him!!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics