Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

R
Beginner April 2018

Mum wants to invite all her work friends!

RomanticBlueCakes716, 17 of April of 2017 at 01:19 Posted on Planning 0 6

We plan to have around 80 to 90 guests, and given he has a huge family, this is pretty tough. So my mum announces she wants 10 of her work friends to go to the full day! I already said no chance, but they are more than welcome to the evening doo, but she is still insisting. She has given us £5,000 towards the wedding, can I insist on saying no?

6 replies

Latest activity by Hollieleigh, 17 of April of 2017 at 20:41
  • 2BMrsC
    Beginner May 2017
    2BMrsC ·
    • Hide content

Do you even know your Mum's work friends? If not then I think I'd be appealing to her to think again- maybe pointing out that you really want to share your day with family and close friends only!

If if you do know them and count them as friends then it's probably more difficult to say no, especially as your Mum is paying towards your day.... but I'd still be reminding her that it is YOUR wedding and that you will have limited spaces once the two of you have invited all your close family and friends.

• H
    Rockstar June 2020
    HappyBlueCars582 ·
    • Hide content

Personally speaking I would let her. Yes it's supposed to be our day and all about us but I actually think it's more important that the guests have a nice time and if it keeps your mum happy then why not? Think of it as a compliment. She wants her work friends to see her beautiful daughter getting married :-)

• DreamsComeTrue2015
    Beginner July 2017
    DreamsComeTrue2015 ·
    • Hide content

Of course you can! Just because she's given you money doesn't mean you *have* to do what she wants. I think you've done the right thing but offering them evening spots. We have a similar sized wedding and we have a tiered guest list (not that we'd ever tell them that!) Mum and dads work friends are coming at night but only a couple. THat was the best compromise for us.

Can you offer to put them on the backup list? if someone cancels or can't make it then you can bump her work friends?

Stick to your guns - this is your wedding day and you should share it with the people who matter most to you both.

• R
    Beginner April 2018
    RomanticBlueCakes716 ·
    • Hide content

I do know most of them as I worked in the same place as them all as a student, but OH doesn't know them, and that's a lot of people at your own wedding who are strangers! Back up list is a good idea, maybe I can offer her a few places and she can decide which of her friends go to the full day.

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

Gosh, that is a bit much! Maybe say she can have 4 day spaces and the others can be reserves in case of drop outs at the last minute. I've photographed weddings where up to 10 guests have dropped out in the final week.

• M
    Beginner September 2018
    mrsthomastobe2018 ·
    • Hide content

Hello!

Remember this is your wedding day, if you do not know them and don't want to invite them then don't. You don't want to look back and have photos of your mothers friends who you don't really know in your wedding photo's - your mother should understand this.

J x

• H
    Beginner July 2018
    Hollieleigh ·
    • Hide content

Oh no, I've had a similar problem with both sets of parents and it's such a nightmare! Only you know the relationship you have with them but I don't know my Mum's friends at all. We've decided to only invite parents friends to the evening do but are allowing them to invite as many as they want (within reason). We're really trying to keep the day just our closest friends and family, how it will pan out in the end, I really don't know! Maybe an honest conversation with her will help? The suggestion of them going on a back up list is also a really good one ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics