Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

daisymoo86
Beginner July 2016

Mumps...

daisymoo86, 12 of May of 2014 at 09:03 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 8

I was away on a hen weekend this weekend. Me and this girl went down together in the car. Shared the bed in the hotel, Shared a few drinks and shared the car ride home again.

She has this morning told me she's been told she has mumps. I am now panicked. Does anyone know how contagious mumps is and what signs I should look out for just in case?

8 replies

Latest activity by daisymoo86, 12 of May of 2014 at 15:45
  • Mrs Monkey
    Beginner July 2013
    Mrs Monkey ·
    • Hide content

Mumps is very contagious! Symptoms to look out for are headaches, high temperature or joint pain - followed by a swollen 'hamster' face. It can be similar to tonsilitis or glandular fever. Unfortunately it can take over two weeks to a month for the symptoms to appear. If you do get it make sure you tell your doctor because they might want to do a home visit so it doesn't spread to other patients.

When I was at school I had two MMR jabs (Measles, mumps and rubella) which protects you against it - can you remember if you had the jabs?

• daisymoo86
    Beginner July 2016
    daisymoo86 ·
    • Hide content

Im not sure :/ I probably did but cannot remember it. Will have to call my mum this evening and see if she remembers me having it. If you've had the jab can you not get it at all?

Im BM at the wedding in 2 weeks so really hope I dont have it/dont get it!!

• Mrs Monkey
    Beginner July 2013
    Mrs Monkey ·
    • Hide content

If you've had the jabs then they give you 95% immunity to mumps (sorry probably not what you want to hear)

Fingers crossed for you that you have had them and you won't get the mumps!

• daisymoo86
    Beginner July 2016
    daisymoo86 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for your advice! Smiley smile I hope so too. My glands do seem a bit swollen, but I do get that alot when Im tired. Im hoping its nothing more than me overthinking it and just needing a good nights sleep and that it doesnt develop into anything else.

• cymruangel
    Beginner December 2014
    cymruangel ·
    • Hide content

Uh oh.

Definitely get a good night's sleep and drink plenty of water, your current symptoms may as you say just be overtiredness from the weekend.

I don't want to scaremonger, but I'd say you'll know if you've got it - it's really very painful and the temperature/tiredness things are also very noticeable. And if you have any suspicion about it, call NHS Direct or 111 (depending on your area) if it's difficult to get appointments from your doctor, as they can help.

Fingers crossed though that you're immune/ protected and ok though.

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

*BT*

Oh no, I had it once years ago, wasn't pleasant ☹️

Agree with all previous advice. In the meantime, avoid contact with pregnant ladies and erm, men! It can manifest in them as swollent testicles which is obviously very painful and dangerous.

When I was ill, there wasn't any prescription medicine they could give me, but I was advised to go to Boots, buy a two weeks worth of ibuprofen and paracetamol, tell them why I needed it so they'd let me buy that much (but it was obvious in my face) and then go home, and don't leave for two weeks!

I really hope you've not got it - perhaps go to the doc and tell them you've started to get swollen glands and are worried because of the contact you've had - they may start you on something early to help.

• daisymoo86
    Beginner July 2016
    daisymoo86 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the advice. Im going to go home tonight, have a hot bath and get in my pjs ready for an early night. I'll also get OH to sleep in the spare room just in case. I can't afford any time off work so am hoping an early bed and plenty of water will clear this up before it becomes anything!

• DrBuffles
    Beginner August 2014
    DrBuffles ·
    • Hide content

Fingers crossed for you it is just an early night that's needed - it certainly won't do your immune system any harm anyway.

My housemate got it when we were at uni, we were all advised to check when we had had a jab last time and go and get one if it wasn't during teenage years I think, so I def recommend asking your mum or your doc about that as they will give you a booster if you aren't up to date.

I had it as a kid and only vaguely remember eating runny porridge for ages but as ATB said it's not nice and very dangerous for boys.

• daisymoo86
    Beginner July 2016
    daisymoo86 ·
    • Hide content

Ooo didnt know you could get boosters. Yes will definatley give the docs a call later then to see if they can do that for me just in case.

I have just read online actually about how bad it can be for men. Doesnt sound good! So I will defo try to n ot pass anything on to OH.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics