Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Braw Wee Chanter

Mumps in adults - Does/don'ts and what to expect?

Braw Wee Chanter, 25 of July of 2009 at 13:04 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 4

My sister works in Lanzarote and was just told this morning she has the mumps. The medical advice she's been given extends to "Have a lie down and don't kiss anyone" ?

She works with children, obviously I've told her she needs to pretty much quarantine herself but she's asked me if there's anything specific she should or shouldn't be doing and how it's likely to develop. Of course, I could just google but 1st hand experience is always a good place to start. Thanks.

x

4 replies

Latest activity by jaffacake, 25 of July of 2009 at 15:45
  • Spring
    Beginner February 2008
    Spring ·
    • Hide content

Hi BWC

An ex of mine had Mumps when he was about 26. He was told to stay in bed and rest. He did have flu type symptoms too and Mumps was only confirmed when he went to the doctors (he didn't swell up really bad like i did as a Child). I'm sure he was given some medication but i can't remember what.

• Braw Wee Chanter
    Braw Wee Chanter ·
    • Hide content

Ta. I think she's just panicking because she has no internet access and was literally told just to have a lie down. I've reluctantly googled and text her some info. Apparently it's contagious for 10 days (5 before and 5 after the symptoms appear). She has had THE sh!ttiest year bless her. All due to become much worse when the baby arrives in October (if it arrives when the girl says it will), then on to the DNA tests. Grim.

x

• Spring
    Beginner February 2008
    Spring ·
    • Hide content

Lots of ? to your Sister x

• Braw Wee Chanter
    Braw Wee Chanter ·
    • Hide content

Thanks mate.

x

• jaffacake
    Beginner
    jaffacake ·
    • Hide content

I had mumps a few years ago and felt rubbish for a good few days. She won't be eating much - I could only eat orange ice lollies as it hurt every time I tried to chew something. (Just when I thought it was ok to eat something, I soon found out it wasn't....ouch).

I felt quite lethargic and spent a lot of time sleeping/watching tv. Wasn't given any medication from my doctor - just told to stay at home and tell anyone who needed to know.

I looked like the Elephant Man - it was horrible - hope she feels better soon.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics