Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

MrsDJG
Beginner May 2015

Music - again.

MrsDJG, 26 of November of 2014 at 19:40 Posted on Planning 0 24

I have searched the forum for the old thread, with first dance song suggestions, but I just cannot find it. Could someone kindly bump it for me, or can we start a new list?

I have a large list of songs I LOVE which I am trying to narrow down, trying to knock of the over played cheesy ones, even if the words are lovely! I like all sorts of music, from Pop, to Country, R&B, to alternative. My faveourite artists are Damien Rice, Ed Sheeran, Foo Fighters, Frank Turner, Passenger, Tom Odell and I also love Pink, Beyonce, Rod Stewart, Motown stuff, Dixie Chicks, Goo Goo Dolls, Lighthouse Family and current chart artists too...eclectic mix!

How do we possibly pick just one first dance song? I know we can incorporate other songs into other parts of the day, but the first dance is special! :-)

24 replies

Latest activity by Janeycam5, 27 of November of 2014 at 11:44
  • MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

Ed Sheeran's Thinking Out Loud would be gorgeous Smiley smile I had songs I loved, but we chose ours as H introduced me to the artist so it was special to us. This was ours, Sarah McLachlan Push:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVrXd9f7Pfs

• MrsDJG
    Beginner May 2015
    MrsDJG ·
    • Hide content

I really like Paloma Faith - Just Be

But some might not think its gushy enough, but to me, its wonderful and the lyrics are apt "There is no one in this world i'd rather be unhappy with" - I'm not unhappy!! :-)

A bit too alternative do you think?

• MrsDJG
    Beginner May 2015
    MrsDJG ·
    • Hide content

I do love Ed Sheeran, Thinking out Loud too, maybe I shouldn't worry about their popularity??

• MrsDJG
    Beginner May 2015
    MrsDJG ·
    • Hide content

"You Are the Best Thing" by Ray LaMontagne is nice tooooooo - oh there's too many options! I love music xx
  • MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

I saw Paloma Faith on Friday! That is a great song, but it depends how important your guests opinions are, I don't think my mum would have been happy if we'd had a song that said let's be unhappy together. The Ray LaMontagne song will need some slightly more upbeat dancing, can you cope with that?

• MrsDJG
    Beginner May 2015
    MrsDJG ·
    • Hide content

My Mums opinion means a lot, and I suppose since I could choose one of many songs which she would like, I suppose I could choose something different! Oh yes, I think we can booogie a bit - I feel excited, sitting here listening to all this music, I'm feeling 'eeeek'

• kizzi10000
    Beginner August 2016
    kizzi10000 ·
    • Hide content

Ooh, love song suggestions ?

I want this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a0A-UZoHnk. When we first met OH was part of an amateur dramatics group and this was sung during a show I went to see. I was in floods in the middle of the theatre because it summed up exactly how I felt.

He wants this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zx5HuAPd6RM Cos it's fun, and he can just jump around as he has no sense of timing and can't dance lol.

Hopefully we will compromise and have both ?

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

Aww, lovely, you should definitely go from the first into the second! You don't need to be able to dance for a first dance, we found we just held each other and had a lovely moment, it felt wonderful, we barely moved at all!

• kizzi10000
    Beginner August 2016
    kizzi10000 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah, definitely that way round lol. Think he might need to release some tension from trying to keep in time with my swaying ?

• J
    Beginner November 2015
    jesikab4u ·
    • Hide content

We had a few fave choices-

Edward sharpe and the magnetic zeros- home wanted a slow one but couldn't find it.

Jimi Hendrix- angel

Edd sheeran- kiss me - thinking out loud

mumford and sons- winter winds

in the end we settled for arctic monkeys - baby I'm yours cover. We may change our minds by the time the wedding comes round we love our music

its so hard to find a first dance when you enjoy a good variety.

For me it was mor the lyric but for h2b it was the artist and something different.

• S
    Beginner April 2015
    Spring Bride 85 ·
    • Hide content

We're having sum 41, "with me". Has all the sentiment we want to convey, starts off slow and then we get to surprise our guests by going crazy when the chorus kicks in!

• thespectrumband@hotmail.co.uk
    thespectrumband@hotmail.co.uk ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

We always advise to choose a song which is personal to you both, or a song that has meaning to you.

We have recently played 'All that you are' by the Goo Goo Dolls which is cool. If you like Rod Stewart then his version of 'Have I told you lately' is so sweet.

Ed Sheeran's 'Thinking out Loud' is just great!

We recently played a Ben Howard track called 'Only Love' which sounds beautiful.

The fab Tom Odell version of 'Real Love' is going to be very popular too!

But........if you want a more up tempo song then go for it! One couple had 'Welcome to the monkey house'! (It was 'their' song when they met!).

Good luck in choosing!

James

• HelenSomerset
    Beginner September 2014
    HelenSomerset ·
    • Hide content

We had 'Still into You' by Paramore. Not your typical first dance song but the lyrics seemed to fit us.

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

I've had about 12 (maybe more) requests for the edit of Tom Odell's Grow Old With Me, so I'd say that's pretty popular Smiley smile We haven't planned a reception yet, but we have talked about a first dance, and I think we might have Teenage Dream by Katy Perry.

• SaraPoppy
    Dedicated July 2020
    SaraPoppy ·
    • Hide content

We are having 'At last' by Etta James. The words say exactly how I feel about my husband to be ? We originally wanted John Legend 'All of me' as that song was playing on the radio when our son was born but I think by next October it will be too overdone!

• Sambarine
    Beginner May 2015
    Sambarine ·
    • Hide content

We couldn't agree on a first dance song - we've never had "our song", and we both have different tastes. A lot of my favourite artists (Iron & Wine, Decemberists, Elbow) are just too downbeat, quirky, or overdone to dance to. I really wanted "I Wanna Dance with Somebody" by Whitney Houston, b/c it's fun, and cute, but in the end h2b talked me round to "Perfect Circle" by REM. It may not exactly be a love song, but h2b loves the line "a perfect circle of family and friends" - he says it embodies what a wedding should be, so how could I say no to that?! Plus it works, as the first concert we went to together was REM at Old Trafford Cricket Ground in 2008.

• kizzi10000
    Beginner August 2016
    kizzi10000 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh lordy, just listened to that. Lovely, and so us too lol. I've been waiting a long time to finally get to where I am/we are

• hellandglory
    Rockstar October 2019
    hellandglory ·
    • Hide content

We're having

Hall and Oats - you make my dreams come true.

one day early on in our relationship we were watching 500 days of summer and the song came on and we had a mushy moment - and its stuck with us ever since.

• M
    Beginner December 2014
    MrsDecemberBride ·
    • Hide content

We originally wanted John legend - all of me purely coz it's a lovely song but when I got Ed Sheerans album and we heard 'thinking out loud' it absolutely had to be that!! It's a shame its been released and is on the radio a lot but h2b says that's not a bad thing because it will always remind him of the lead up to the wedding which is very sweet Smiley smile another contender was sam smith - latch, but I think we'll just have that played some other time during the day!

• kimiu
    Beginner June 2015
    kimiu ·
    • Hide content

We are having "High" by the Lighthouse Family. Really good words, a beat that is a little more up tempo, easy to dance to rather than to shuffle to, and having heard them sing it live, it has memories of another great night out.

Then we're going straight into Love Shack by the B52's....doing a bit of a cheesy "family" dance as I can't do the traditional Father-daughter dance.

• Dave Sanders
    Dave Sanders ·
    • Hide content

Hey,

I've played so many different first dances but the one's that have always stuck out are the ones that were meaningful to the couple. The Ed Sheeran tune is a great one! I'd say not to worry about the popularity of your first dance choice, people will love it because its special to you. I once played 'all I want for Christmas is you' in the middle of August because the couple met on a Christmas skiing break.... and it was wonderful!

Its worth bearing in mind if you have a band whether or not the tune will work in a band context, if you're not using a band than that won't be a problem.

Cheers,

Dave Sanders

www.davesandersmusic.com

• J
    Beginner November 2015
    Janeycam5 ·
    • Hide content

Picking the music is tricky!

Our first dance is Crash Land by Twin Atlantic, it is by no means a love song but it is 'our song' so was the obvious choice. We're then going straight into Paul Simon's 'You Can Call me Al' - another song that reminds us of each other but should hopefully get people on the dance floor.

We've also decided to get a playlist together of songs we love (together and separately) which can be played as background music between the ceremony and dinner (and maybe during dinner, haven't decided yet). Adds the personal touch plus we then have a soundtrack to the day!

x

• hellandglory
    Rockstar October 2019
    hellandglory ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

i LOVE that song!

• cymruangel
    Beginner December 2014
    cymruangel ·
    • Hide content

This has been really interesting as we're struggling for a first song choice - Boy is a musician and yet has no clue what he might want to dance (/shuffle awkwardly) to.

Of course if I had my way we'd be doing something choreographed, but that would be pushing him way outside his comfort zone. I was thinking Michael Buble's "Everything" which sums up everything I feel about us being a team. www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPUJIbXN0WY .

But I really like the Etta James idea too.

• J
    Beginner November 2015
    Janeycam5 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It's beautiful isn't it?! I loved it before but now I know it'll be our first dance I get goosebumps when I hear it.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics