Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner September 2025 Nottinghamshire

Music and planning!

Stacey, 6 of March of 2024 at 23:36 Posted on Planning 1 17
Please help!!

We aren’t getting married until next year & I know there’s 1 million and 1 other things to think about and look at BUT how do you choose what songs to use for the entrance, signing of certificate and the exit! We haven’t got a song or songs that mean something to us both…. I’m already stressing over everything and we haven’t even started yet! 😂😩

17 replies

Latest activity by Katrina, 29 of May of 2024 at 10:56
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

It doesn't have to be anything super meaningful to both of you.

If you individually have songs that are special to you, then you could pick one to come in and one to go out. Or you could look for music that reflects your families or backgrounds - my OH and I are mixed Scots & Welsh heritage, so we picked Scottish and Welsh music. Is there a holiday location you particularly love? Maybe music from that country? Favourite songs from loved ones who are no longer with you can be a nice way of paying tribute to them.

Otherwise, just google for suggestions of appropriate wedding music and pick the ones you like the sound of most. Not everything in your wedding has to have some strong relevance to you. Sometimes it can be as simple as 'we need music to walk out to and this sounded ok'.

• Katrina
    Dedicated February 2025 West Midlands
    Katrina ·
    • Hide content

We will be playing Christian Worship and classical music. We have to create our playlists on Amazon or something. Ask your venue what type of music system they have so you know how to hand over your music choices. We are chipping away at is slowly.

• Katrina
    Katrina ·
    • Hide content

We are having a traditional wedding Smiley smile so we cant select songs we are having the here comes the bride traditional song. Smiley heart

• PhotographybyBillHaddon
    Super January 3000 Leicestershire
    PhotographybyBillHaddon ·
    • Hide content

Just keep in mind that the songs for a civil ceremony - (not in a Church) cannot include any religious lyrics, even to the extent of Robbie Williams "angels"

When choosing you can pick any section of a song that you like and it only needs to be 30-40 seconds long unless you are sending 10 bridesmaids up the isle first, same for coming out but maybe longer as it can be played as everyone else leave.

The signing part also only a couple of mins needed.

When choosing mostly it sounds best if you can leave the intro running as you hide behind the door and then walk in on the start of the lyrics otherwise you could reach the top and the music will stop before the important lyrics start.

Mostly the entrance would be romantic style music and then a more upbeat one for the exit.

Although I have seen a bride walk down the isle to the imperial march from star wars. you know the one it goes. der der der dud de du dud de der Smiley xd

• Hide content

One thing though if your venue is the Donington one that you mentioned before then that is a longer than average isle in the barn so you may need to add a few seconds to my timings. Not so in the smaller second wedding ceremony room they have though as that is much shorter.

• Thomas Frost Photography
    Thomas Frost Photography ·
    • Hide content

Classic Soul is always good.

• L
    Rockstar July 2023 Greater Manchester
    Lisa ·
    • Hide content
    We left our music choices till a couple of months before as we didn’t know either, but we’d both been writing down songs we liked till that point. We stuck them all in a tab on our excel spreadsheet and then just worked through what we liked the most & what fit the best. Then spent an evening listening to music and figuring it out. The up the aisle song came from one of our favourite films. The recessional song came from one of our favourite bands. The signing the registry song was one we just both really liked and had made a note of separately that seemed to fit with that moment.

Hope you’re able to destress & find a way to make picking music fun. Spend an evening making a list and dancing with your partner xx
  • Sarah
    Rockstar August 2024 Warwickshire
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content
    TikTok is brilliant for ideas about music x
  • M
    Beginner August 2025 Co Antrim
    Marie-Claire ·
    • Hide content

For walking down the aisle i'm choosing a song both me and my dad love so it will either be Born to Be Wild by Steppenwolf or There She Goes by The La's - we're not doing a first dance and I don't want a super emotional song because I WILL cry.

For leaving the ceremony we're playing Heroes by David Bowie because we both love that song. It doesn't necessarily have to be super romantic or traditional - it's your wedding so you make the rules!

• S
    Beginner September 2025 Nottinghamshire
    Stacey ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you for this! 🩷 it is so hard as I don’t want something emotional as I know I’m going to cry anyway! 😂😂
  • K
    Beginner July 2025 Oxfordshire
    Keely ·
    • Hide content

I have started doing my music research. Have a lot at spotify playlists for ideas if you have it. Tiktok is another good place for finding new songs. x

• S
    Beginner August 2025 Hampshire
    Sara ·
    • Hide content

Our Wedding band (The neoroots function band) have helped massively, we had no idea where to start so we had a planning meeting with them and they went through our likes/dislikes and we've come up with some childhood/meaningful songs that the band are going to perform as a duo during the ceremony but in their own style so it feels more unique to us as a couple.

Heres what we've chosen.

Guest arrival and seating - Keys and Guitar instrumental music from our favourite movies/TV shows (one of mine is dawsons creek)

Bridal entrance - Beautiful surprise by India Arie

Signing - Signed sealed delivered by Stevie Wonder

Recessional - My girl by the temptations

First dance - Baby I love your way by Big mountain

• Katrina
    Katrina ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    As I am not getting married in a church will walk down to the traditional music. After the wedding part is over its okay to then play religious music? Right x
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hmmm grey area I think, although the ceremony will technically be over I feel that the answer will be no - at least not while the registrars are in the building.

• Katrina
    Katrina ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ah okay then I am thinking later on when they have gone then? I can just have it instrumental music playing until then they leave.
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

But when they have gone you will be leaving the room and going outside or somewhere for some photos wont you ? So unless there are speakers outside or you have some sort of live music then there is no opportunity for music unless you are having a drinks reception inside. When they have gone you can have whatever music you like.

• Katrina
    Katrina ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We are having our drinks reception inside yes. No speaker outside its a winter wedding. We are having live music later on in the day. Thanks for your advice I will order my music accordingly!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics