Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

GeordieBarbie
Beginner May 2010

Music during wedding breakfast?

GeordieBarbie, 16 January, 2010 at 15:49 Posted on Planning 0 24

Anyone planning on having music during the meal?

Just thought about it. Do we need it? I'm assuming not really but not sure now...

24 replies

Latest activity by Yikes, 13 September, 2010 at 18:55
  • aliaisp
    Beginner July 2010
    aliaisp ·
    • Hide content

We're not planning on having music during the meal - there will be music at the ceremony, drinks and after-party disco - so will be nice to have some quiet time for people to conentrate on eating and catching up... don't think you need any.

x

• GeordieBarbie
    Beginner May 2010
    GeordieBarbie ·
    • Hide content

Yeah - that's what I thought. Just the mention of the piano music got me thinking for some reason ?

Was trying to think if i've been to a wedding which had music - and that kinda made me think - it's just another thing no-one notices so why bother! ?

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

I might just have some playing quietly in the background...

• aliaisp
    Beginner July 2010
    aliaisp ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

yea i guess it would be like having background music in a fancy restaurant? never considered it. but, as GB said, people probably won't notice so won't put myself through the hassle of arranging and choosing it! x

• Amethyst
    Beginner October 2010
    Amethyst ·
    • Hide content

We are having a pianist but only because it was only a bit extra to keep him for that time as already having him for the ceremony and drinks. I would have had some piano music on CD I think otherwise as the music will very much in the background during the meal.

• teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

We had a cd playing in the background but it was sooooo low, only a few guests commented on the tunes during the meal..... it played in the bar too so wasnt a total waste of time...

• Stazzle
    Stazzle ·
    • Hide content

We will be having background music playing, nothing too up tempo probably just a bit of the Rat Pack, Michael Buble, John Legend, Jamie Cullum that sort of thing. OH is actually planning on putting a CD together for during the wedding breakfast so that's something to keep him occupied!

It's quite strange the things that OH has got enthusiastic about with regard to the wedding ?

• Houdini
    Beginner August 2010
    Houdini ·
    • Hide content

We've got a Kenny G album to have in the background. Nothing too fancy but a nice bit of background noise

• BoroKate
    Beginner September 2010
    BoroKate ·
    • Hide content

I think we'll be taking the ipod - note to self: Lady Gaga is not appropriate for a wedding?

• J
    jj74 ·
    • Hide content

If you can do it cheaply or free (eg use ipod etc) it would be nice, but I wouldn't pay for a musician, as people like to talk through the meal and won't really notice.

• Gillsy
    Beginner April 2010
    Gillsy ·
    • Hide content

Oooo this is something I never even thought about!!!!!

I think it would be nice to have some soft background music during the meal.

• GeordieBarbie
    Beginner May 2010
    GeordieBarbie ·
    • Hide content

We've made a decision - no music! ?

We can't remember any other wedding when itthere's been some so why bother with the hassle when it probably won't get noticed ?

• lizzyleek
    Beginner October 2010
    lizzyleek ·
    • Hide content

Hi GeordieBarbie,

Were just using our ipod during the Wedding Breakfast we have made a play list especially for it just like background noise don't want it too over powering but don't want to hear people eating lol! plus it's cheaper than hiring someone

• S
    Beginner September 2010
    sherbert ·
    • Hide content

I am, I have hired an entertainment company and it was part of the package. I have got a singer to entertain during the photos and mingling after the ceremony and then he will just play soft music during the wedding breakfast, from a CD I imagine. x

• Saracroft251
    Beginner August 2010
    Saracroft251 ·
    • Hide content

We are going to have a CD playing, probably a mix of abba ? and a bit of John Mayer, John Ledgend etc

• PianoDJ.co.uk
    PianoDJ.co.uk ·
    • Hide content

I was playing the piano for a wedding breakfast last weekend and the venue had a power cut - it turned out to be really romantic. They brought out candles and put them around the room for the guests and the piano so that I could keep on playing. It was lovely Smiley smile

I think that it is a nice idea to have some kind of music playing - if you bring a portable CD player and a couple of nice CDs then you always have the option to turn it off if you prefer on the day.

James

• Sandysounds
    Sandysounds ·
    • Hide content

Background music isn't really listened to or often noticed.....but if it isn't there.....it often seems that something is missing. Basically, background music creates an ambiance and an atmosphere. If i'm booked all day i provide background music during the meal. I did a rat pack selection during the meal recently and there were actually lots of comments from guests who enjoyed it.

If i had the budget.....I'd have a pianist!

• fizzypop
    Beginner July 2011
    fizzypop ·
    • Hide content

I just got very confused when I saw the OP was by GB, who is married, but then I realised this is from January! Still, a very useful thread nonetheless x

• Tony Lewis HIB
    Tony Lewis HIB ·
    • Hide content

This appears to have been bounced back up by James...be careful James - welcome to Hitched but I'd do it the correct way if I were you. Advertise on Hitched and then become a registered supplier. This then will allow you to have things like domain names visible. From other people's experience you may do yourself more harm than good if you don't, and try not to dredge up old threads.

cheers

Tony

• D
    Beginner
    darkivy ·
    • Hide content

We are having H2B's friend (a pro musician) playing acoustic guitar in the background during the meal.

I wasn't really that bothered at first but H2B is a guitar fanatic, so this is the best way of getting some nice atmospheric music, and keeping him happy!!

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

Yeah I think we're going to put together an iPod playlist of 30s jazz to play quietly in the background while people eat.

• PianoDJ.co.uk
    PianoDJ.co.uk ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

A brilliant idea! You should check out some Oscar Peterson recordings - although a bit later (from the 1970s) it is just the right type of background jazz.

J

• Yikes
    Beginner September 2013
    Yikes ·
    • Hide content

We had music played during the wedding breakfast. We had instrumental versions/string/piano versions of our favourite songs. Although people were talking throughout the meal, nearly everyone commented and it was certainly a talking point.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics