Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Rhoslyn
Beginner July 2013

Music to walk down the aisle to...

Rhoslyn, 14 of December of 2012 at 11:03 Posted on Planning 0 25

Hi again,

Sorry for all the posts today. My school is closed because of a Gas Leak (Woo!!) so I'm off work and bored!

We met with the registrar yesterday. Thank you to all of you who gave me tips to ask the registrar- it helped so much. She was really lovely and am now really excited! It's got me thinking about the ceremony.

My sisters are playing the piano during the ceremony (as we sign the register and possibly as we walk out)-- one is looking to play either Einaudi or this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHyR4ZzA2R0

(love song from Romeo and Juliet- which I think is really beautiful and apt as I am an English teacher). My other sister is composing a piece of music to play.

I don't want either of them to play whilst we are walking down the aisle as I want them to be able to see it and I don't want music that will detract from their music. So, I've been thinking about what music I can walk down the aisle to- I'm possibly thinking something a but more upbeat- a bit different? The registrar says it mustn't have a religious connotation- but something also that isn't trendy and of it's time.

These are some of my thoughts:

Le Onde by Ludovico Einuaid- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ie951V1yd4A

Hey Ho by the Lumineers- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvCBSSwgtg4

One Day like This- by Elbow http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NFV8dHrZYM

Hoppipolla by Sigur Ros http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L_DQKCDgeM

What are your thoughts? If you have any other songs that I maybe haven't thought of I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thank you for your help

R xxx

25 replies

Latest activity by coolartist87, 20 of December of 2012 at 10:25
  • S
    Beginner September 2013
    Snc12 ·
    • Hide content

Hi, you seem to be at the same stage of planning as we are! When are you getting married?

I am walking down the aisle to Pachelbel's Canon in D as we are doing more contemporary songs for the signing of the register and walking back together. I know it is a cliche, but it is beautiful Smiley smile

if you wanted a more upbeat song, the Elbow one is brilliant. Or how about an oldie like 'can't take my eyes off you' or something similar? Will your sister be playing this too, or will it be a cd? Just trying to figure out if it will have words or not (if that makes sense)

x

• Rhoslyn
    Beginner July 2013
    Rhoslyn ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for your reply- we are getting married July 2013- probably a bit early to be planning all the finer details but I'm very impatient!

The song to walk down the aisle to will be on CD so will have the words as well- we are having more traditional for signing of the register so like the modern twist at the start.

Canon in D isn't a cliche- it's beautiful.

I'm leaning towards Elbow as well.

R xxx

• S
    Beginner September 2013
    Snc12 ·
    • Hide content

Oh, it isn't too early, we are 7th Sept 2013. At the moment I am on maternity leave so am trying to get as much done before I go back to work and I have no time to plan weddings!!

I think Elbow will be a great choice Smiley smile x

• mickeyandminnie
    Beginner July 2015
    mickeyandminnie ·
    • Hide content

I love elbow - if i wasn't getting married in a church i would have chosen that one

we surprised all those close to us with "holiday photos" when we got engaged - which showed OH proposing!! Can you guess wha song it was to??? Smiley smile

• S
    Beginner August 2013
    sarah321 ·
    • Hide content

I think elbow is a beautiful song to pick. i am currently trying to pick .. currently thinking jason maraz i wont give up. i have found an instrument version by vitamin string quartet. they do loads of other songs as well which would nt normally work for a wedding but do slowed down instrumental version. x

• mandspice
    Beginner September 2013
    mandspice ·
    • Hide content

Agree that the Elbow song is a lovely choice. I think it's nice to have something contemporary (ie not classical) at registry office weddings unless you're a particular fan of classical. You can do what you like so why not choose something that reflects your personality.

I'm so excited about the music aspect (first dance, down the aisle, disco etc). We've actually done a play list for the disco which is a bit "music-nazi" but both OH and I are so passionate about music and we want stuff we and our friends / family will like.

I'm having this down the aisle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdqtmnd2T0U

• Rhys Parker
    Rhys Parker ·
    • Hide content

How about this? ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bzWSJG93P8

• S108HAN
    Beginner August 2013
    S108HAN ·
    • Hide content

Little link to a similar forum on here from last month www.hitched.co.uk/chat/forums/t/349665.aspx

Hope this helps.

Sx

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This.

because its what we had.

Job done.

• Rhoslyn
    Beginner July 2013
    Rhoslyn ·
    • Hide content

Mandspice- lovely tune, I really like it!

Rhys Wheatley- yours made me giggle- oddly it's not that dissimilar to the wedding march!

• Rhoslyn
    Beginner July 2013
    Rhoslyn ·
    • Hide content

S108HAN- thank you I'm having a nosy now- so nice to see lots of people's opinions.

Thank you all for yoru help- anymore suggestions (that's not Star Wars) keep them coming Smiley smile

R xxx

• Haylz16
    Beginner November 2012
    Haylz16 ·
    • Hide content

I got married just over 2 weeks ago in Vegas and walked down the aisle to 'The Wedding Song' by Angus and Julia Stone. Not many people had heard of the group and those who had hadn't really heard of the song as I don't think they've ever realeased it. The fact that it wasn't very well known attracted me to it but apart from that the lyrics to the song are so beautiful and apt you really have to youtube it to know what I mean. Although it has quite a long intro so we altered it slightly so I walked in from the start of the lyrics rather than just the instrumental at the beginning xx

• S
    Beginner June 2013
    soontobenew ·
    • Hide content

I love hoppipolla, was thinking of this for our music as we walk back out (also going to see Sigur Ros in March, whoop whoop). Its just so uplifting and atmospheric.

To walk down the aisle i've gone for Moonlight serenade by glen miller as a nod to my late grandad who loved big band music so it felt apt. Hopefully it won't make everyone too tearful though.

• C
    Rockstar August 2013
    cherrybloom ·
    • Hide content

A bit obscure but I am considering this, the words are lovely..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0MUE5ikrx8&list=AL94UKMTqg-9CVNqXFXEIg_OOkU_9A5Ugs&index=4

• E
    Beginner August 2013
    Elodia ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We are getting wed in August 2013 and are currently in talks with sax player! We want a mixture of songs a classic 'At last by Etta James', Love on top - Beyonce (to walk out). Not sure what to have walking up the aisle, I originally wanted Ave Maria but not allowed.

I will have to have listen to some of the songs mentioned above.

• C
    Rockstar August 2013
    cherrybloom ·
    • Hide content

How come they won't let you have Ave Maria, Elodia I plan on having that too, I love it as well as at last of course by Etta?

• Rhoslyn
    Beginner July 2013
    Rhoslyn ·
    • Hide content

At a civil ceremony you are not allowed any songs or readings with religious connotations- Ave Maria is about Mary- mother of Jesus.

Beautiful song though!

• C
    Rockstar August 2013
    cherrybloom ·
    • Hide content

Well you learn something new everyday, I really don't have a clue about this whole wedding malarkey?

• E
    Beginner August 2013
    Elodia ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Do you think because I'm not having the vocals they may allow me to have it.....LOL

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Some registrars will allow it, some will not (yes, annoying!) - you would have to check with them.

We got away with the instrumental version of Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring, but it was only one of the pre-ceremony pieces, not part of the ceremony itself. Also, they played it while the registrar was out of the room meeting me, so they might not have noticed. ?

• goldpants
    Beginner May 2014
    goldpants ·
    • Hide content

Ho hey will definitely be making an apperance on our wedding day!!!

As will

Better together (hawaian slack key kings version) by jack johnson

Lover of the light by mumford & sons

the girl by city and colour the accoustic version of love lust by king charles or love is the cure

Just not sure when these will appear yet! leaning towards jack johnson as i walk down the aisle... city and colour as first dance... maybe?! oh i dont know!

• C
    Rockstar August 2013
    cherrybloom ·
    • Hide content

Another song I heard at a wedding is Luther Here and Now, the words are lovely!

• C
    Beginner January 2012
    coolartist87 ·
    • Hide content

Those are some lovely choices, I do think that the Canon in D would be lovely even though not my first choice. I walked down the isle to Queen "somebody to love" and we were in a church so I don't think you need to go traditional for a church wedding always.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics