Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
Beginner August 2023 Central & Glasgow

My best man got married without telling me

Jimmy, 16 of August of 2023 at 22:38 Posted on Off Topic Posts 1 2
I’m getting married in 5 weeks time.

My best man got married last wkd, without telling me anything about it. One of my ushers & wife were there for the celebrations. Both kept everything secret from me, as if I’d never find out.
My best man- been a best mate for nearly 40 yrs.My usher ‘friend,- also a best mate for nearly 20’odd years.
Why they did this, no explanation.
Is this acceptable???

2 replies

Latest activity by TONY, 30 of August of 2023 at 12:56
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

I can understand that you feel hurt, but this was not necessarily your friend's intention.

Some couples want to have a small, private wedding. The problem is that many people around them are unaccepting of their wishes and put huge pressure on them to have a bigger wedding. It's probably that your best man felt the best way to avoid this pressure was not to tell anyone about the wedding until it was over.

NB: I'm not saying that you would have been one of the people to put pressure on your best man - it's just that if someone wants to keep their wedding a secret, it needs to be a secret from everyone, otherwise you get into even more trouble with 'well, he knew about it beforehand, so why couldn't you have told me?' etc, etc!

Another possibility is that your best man wanted to get married quickly, for whatever reason, but didn't want to publicly announce a wedding so close to yours or put pressure on you to show an interest in it in the busy period leading up to your own wedding. There has been a recent post on this forum complaining about a couple who dared to get married five months before a sibling's wedding, with several people saying how inconsiderate and selfish that was - so you can see why a best man might be reluctant to tell a groom that he was getting married only 6 weeks before!

It's ok to feel upset that you didn't know beforehand and didn't get to attend, but I would try to acknowledge those feelings and put them behind you and look forward to celebrating your own marriage.

• T
    Beginner August 2024 South West London
    TONY ·
    • Hide content

You seem to be concentrating on your best man getting married and not inviting you.

But what about your fiancee who also went to the wedding without telling you.

If that happenned to me then I would seriously be considering whether I should be getting married to her.

If she apologised and I did agree to go ahead with the wedding then I would be looking for another best man. Not one who excludes you from his own wedding!

So my advice might be to cancel getting married to her!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics