Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner December 2013

My Christmas Eve Wedding Report

smingram13, 30 of December of 2013 at 18:58 Posted on Planning 0 9

I am going to try and write a report for our wedding but I'm not hopeful that I'll be any good at it so bear with me!
Jim and I met on the 28th June 2013. I had 6 kids of my own and he had a 14 year old son living with him. Neither of us wanted anything serious, in fact, we both said we didn't do commitment and we certainly didn't do the 'L' word!

Our first date was a coffee on Camber Sands beach. He was such a cheeky, charming fella and I instantly knew that I would like him, maybe a bit too much. We ordered our drinks from the beach cafe and sat outside where my hair was blown around so much I looked like I had been dragged through a hedge backwards and our cups were more sand than they were coffee so Jim suggested we drive into town to a little coffee shop he knew. I followed behind him in my car until he suddenly pulled off on to a slip road and said for me to get into his car instead of taking two cars and trying to park. I dithered for a few minutes thinking I didn't really know him, he could kill me lol! But I parked the car like I had nicked it and jumped into his. We walked through Rye which is quite a quaint little town, had a coffee and then went to the gun gardens and sat for ages in the sun just looking out at the view and talking non stop about everything and nothing. I couldn't believe how much we had in common, especially our dry sense of humour. After spending the day together (which was longer than I'd planned!) I had to head home as the kids would be finishing school. We drove back to my car and before I got out he asked for a kiss. I decided one little peck wouldn't hurt so I leant over and kissed him. He thought he would try and stick a tongue in so I slapped him LOL I hopped into my own car and followed him to the junction where we both went our separate ways and agreed to call each other later. All the way home I was on cloud 9, I didn't stop at a zebra and went straight through the lights at a level crossing.

We talked that night, and every night after for a week as well as texts throughout the days. We met again at the end of the week, this time we went for lunch in a nice little pub on Winchelsea beach and again we spent the whole time talking, laughing, acting stupid - we felt like a pair of teenagers but I still told myself not to jump in too quickly because men are twats lol. We finished the afternoon with ice cold lager on the beach, and this time we held hands, we sat close and in the end I let him kiss me....although he did flinch the first time he tried haha.
4 weeks of dating and having so much fun brought us closer. One particular date we spent just laying in a huge park, watching people play boules across the green and nipping up to the pub for the odd drink. That date I decided I wasn't going to see him anymore because I knew by then I was falling for him and I really didn't want to, it would never work and I had so many kids it couldn't go anywhere and what if his son didn't like me?? What would his family think of his girlfriend with a million kids?
Well I did see him again lol, we decided to introduce the kids to each other and see what happened. I drove to Jim's house nervously, warning the kids to be on their best behaviour as we were going to meet a friend lol We got there and the kids sat awkwardly on one sofa (all 6 of them!) to avoid having to sit near his son lol and his son sat pretending to flick through the tv avoiding having to talk to me or them. I thought it was never going to work but a game of football at the park and a round of haribos later, they were firm friends and I got on great with Jim's son too. My kids thought Jim was funny and said they liked him a lot and also told me they knew he wasn't just my friend lol
The following week I invited Jim and his son over to my house for a takeaway and we spent the evening together with the kids before he and Macaulay drove home. The following night he was back again and this time they stayed.

Us after one of our dates...

The rest, as they say, is history. By the end of October we moved in together and we tied the knot on Christmas Eve!

9 replies

Latest activity by *J9*, 31 of December of 2013 at 09:21
  • S
    Beginner December 2013
    smingram13 ·
    • Hide content

I am going to try and write a report for our wedding but I'm not hopeful that I'll be any good at it so bear with me!
    Jim and I met on the 28th June 2013. I had 6 kids of my own and he had a 14 year old son living with him. Neither of us wanted anything serious, in fact, we both said we didn't do commitment and we certainly didn't do the 'L' word!
    Our first date was a coffee on Camber Sands beach. He was such a cheeky, charming fella and I instantly knew that I would like him, maybe a bit too much. We ordered our drinks from the beach cafe and sat outside where my hair was blown around so much I looked like I had been dragged through a hedge backwards and our cups were more sand than they were coffee so Jim suggested we drive into town to a little coffee shop he knew. I followed behind him in my car until he suddenly pulled off on to a slip road and said for me to get into his car instead of taking two cars and trying to park. I dithered for a few minutes thinking I didn't really know him, he could kill me lol! But I parked the car like I had nicked it and jumped into his. We walked through Rye which is quite a quaint little town, had a coffee and then went to the gun gardens and sat for ages in the sun just looking out at the view and talking non stop about everything and nothing. I couldn't believe how much we had in common, especially our dry sense of humour.
    After spending the day together (which was longer than I'd planned!) I had to head home as the kids would be finishing school. We drove back to my car and before I got out he asked for a kiss. I decided one little peck wouldn't hurt so I leant over and kissed him. He thought he would try and stick a tongue in so I slapped him LOL I hopped into my own car and followed him to the junction where we both went our separate ways and agreed to call each other later.
    All the way home I was on cloud 9, I didn't stop at a zebra and went straight through the lights at a level crossing.
    We talked that night, and every night after for a week as well as texts throughout the days. We met again at the end of the week, this time we went for lunch in a nice little pub on Winchelsea beach and again we spent the whole time talking, laughing, acting stupid - we felt like a pair of teenagers but I still told myself not to jump in too quickly because men are twats lol. We finished the afternoon with ice cold lager on the beach, and this time we held hands, we sat close and in the end I let him kiss me....although he did flinch the first time he tried haha.
    4 weeks of dating and having so much fun brought us closer. One particular date we spent just laying in a huge park, watching people play boules across the green and nipping up to the pub for the odd drink. That date I decided I wasn't going to see him anymore because I knew by then I was falling for him and I really didn't want to, it would never work and I had so many kids it couldn't go anywhere and what if his son didn't like me?? What would his family think of his girlfriend with a million kids?
    Well I did see him again lol, we decided to introduce the kids to each other and see what happened. I drove to Jim's house nervously, warning the kids to be on their best behaviour as we were going to meet a friend lol We got there and the kids sat awkwardly on one sofa (all 6 of them!) to avoid having to sit near his son lol and his son sat pretending to flick through the tv avoiding having to talk to me or them. I thought it was never going to work but a game of football at the park and a round of haribos later, they were firm friends and I got on great with Jim's son too. My kids thought Jim was funny and said they liked him a lot and also told me they knew he wasn't just my friend lol
    The following week I invited Jim and his son over to my house for a takeaway and we spent the evening together with the kids before he and Macaulay drove home. The following night he was back again and this time they stayed.
    The rest, as they say, is history. By the end of October we moved in together and we tied the knot on Christmas Eve!
    We never wanted a big wedding, nor an expensive one. We had 40 people in total and that was including us and our kids.
    Jim stayed at our house the night before the wedding which was a bad idea as we did nothing but bicker! We went to Tesco at 2.30 in the morning to do our last minute christmas shopping lol then came home and Jim ironed the shirts and I sat and chilled with my mum who was still wide awake! We finally hit the hay at around 4.30 am and I was woken by the alarm at 6.30..... KNACKERED!
    After a cup of tea and about 20 cigarettes, I had a shower then opened a bottle of wine to drink while Jim was getting himself and the boys ready. People who were travelling started turning up at about half 9 and the house was complete mayhem from then until Jim and the boys left at 10.30. I was finally able to get myself ready so I sat down to get my hair and make up done while my sister in law did all the girls hairs. A few glasses of wine later and I decided to have a look on Facebook and saw I had been tagged in a lovely pic of all my boys who were over at the pub and that just set me off, I cried like a complete twat on and off for the whole time I was getting ready although I stopped to admire my boobs in my double gel bra and extra chicken fillets lol.
    While I was getting my dress on I saw my father in law, who was also giving me away, pull up in Jim's MG which was taking us to the church (we hadn't hired a car as it was literally a walk round the corner - not that i had any intention of walking lol) and that's when I started flapping and cried a bit more. Finally everyone left the house and all that was left were me, my father in law and the make up lady who kindly followed us round in her car to help me out of the car the other end bless her.
    It was the longest shortest drive of my life. I was excited and nervous and worried about how I looked but when I pulled up at the church all of my children were outside the church waiting for me. Untraditionallly, I had my boys who were my page boys, walk up the aisle too, before the bridesmaids which was lovely.
    Standing in the lobby of the church, I could see everybody waiting for us, and I caught a glimpse of Jim as he moved into place at the front of the church. My heart was in my throat.
    After the make up lady made an emergency dash back to the house for the iPad (the kids readings were on there), the vicar led the bridal party in. The children walked in to 'Amazing Grace' by Eternal, they looked so beautiful walking up just how they had been shown and my new niece did an amazing job of flower girl, she was just the cutest little thing. And then their song finished.
    I had the opening to 'You Do Something To. Me' by Paul Weller and my eyes began to fill up as I thought of how Jim would be feeling at his end of the aisle. As the words started my father in law led me into the church and I held on to his arm so tightly. As we turned the corner to walk up the aisle I was willing Jim to turn round but he didn't, I later learned that this was because he had already aught a glimpse of me at the door and was too busy trying not to cry lol. As we were walking down the aisle my father in law was trying to make me laugh by saying stuff like "who turned up in the dressing gown?" But I couldn't see a thing except Jim. As I neared the end of the aisle he finally turned round and I could see he was about to cry. He kissed me and we took our places alongside my father in law and his best man (his 15 year old son) in front of the vicar.
    The church was beautiful, candles lit everywhere, christmas tree, a beautiful nativity scene, just amazing.
    We said our promises which definitely lightened the mood when Jim accidentally said "according to God's lonely whore" instead of "holy law" LOL After that we said our vows which were just lovely and then I think there was a prayer and a reading from the vicar before my kids took their places at the mic and they all did a reading. Even the vicar cried at this point, it was so emotional and funny and everything just rolled into one. We did the tying of the hand thing lol and then we're announced husband and wife and were told we could kiss to which Jim shouted "Waheyyy" lol and lifted me up for a kiss. After signing the register we walked back up the aisle as man and wife to 'The Wonder Of You' by Elvis, well I say walked, we actually danced up the aisle lol. The vicar hugged us and thanked us for making her christmas then we drove literally across the road to the pub, it took us longer to turn round than to get there lol we had a lovely three course meal which was a Christmas dinner with a soup starter and gateaux for pudding or wedding cake. Then came the speeches...
    My step son, my husbands best man, got up and did his speech first. He started by saying "I'm glad my Dad and Debbie are married now because they love each other which I witnessed on my 15th birthday when I walked in on them....." We nearly died and everybody laughed lol he continued to do a lovely speech. Jim did his speech and then my father in law did his and welcomed me and the children into their family which was lovely. We did have a first dance, but that was probably the only traditional thing we really did. We danced to 'Back At One' by Brian McKnight which was our song of the summer so it was a perfect choice and yet another chance for Jim to act the twat lol but it was lovely.
    People started to leave at around half 4 and once they had all gone we spent some time in the main bar and were congratulated by everyone. Whenever we went outside for a cigarette cars tooted their horns in congratulations. The whole day was just amazing from start to finish. We WALKED home, stopped at the shop for wine lol and again we're congratulated by passers by and my horns going as we walked. We felt very special. When we got home, Jim scooped me up and carried me over the threshold and when he got in he sat and cried for ages lol I knew it had been brewing all day so it came as no surprise to me. He still isn't able to watch videos or look at pictures without getting choked up so he avoids it at all costs!
    When the kids went to bed, we played Santa and filled their stockings and we woke up on christmas morning as husband and wife and I wouldn't change a single thing, it was everything we dreamed and more.
    I hope you all had a lovely christmas and here's wishing all if you an amazing new year. Good luck to those due to get married soon and enjoy planning

We never wanted a big wedding, nor an expensive one. We had 40 people in total and that was including us and our kids.

Jim stayed at our house the night before the wedding which was a bad idea as we did nothing but bicker! We went to Tesco at 2.30 in the morning to do our last minute christmas shopping lol then came home and Jim ironed the shirts and I sat and chilled with my mum who was still wide awake! We finally hit the hay at around 4.30 am and I was woken by the alarm at 6.30..... KNACKERED!

After a cup of tea and about 20 cigarettes, I had a shower then opened a bottle of wine to drink while Jim was getting himself and the boys ready. People who were travelling started turning up at about half 9 and the house was complete mayhem from then until Jim and the boys left at 10.30. I was finally able to get myself ready so I sat down to get my hair and make up done while my sister in law did all the girls hairs. A few glasses of wine later and I decided to have a look on Facebook and saw I had been tagged in a lovely pic of all my boys who were over at the pub and that just set me off, I cried like a complete twat on and off for the whole time I was getting ready although I stopped to admire my boobs in my double gel bra and extra chicken fillets lol.
    While I was getting my dress on I saw my father in law, who was also giving me away, pull up in Jim's MG which was taking us to the church (we hadn't hired a car as it was literally a walk round the corner - not that i had any intention of walking lol) and that's when I started flapping and cried a bit more. Finally everyone left the house and all that was left were me, my father in law and the make up lady who kindly followed us round in her car to help me out of the car the other end bless her.

Me getting into my dress

It was the longest shortest drive of my life. I was excited and nervous and worried about how I looked but when I pulled up at the church all of my children were outside the church waiting for me. Untraditionallly, I had my boys who were my page boys, walk up the aisle too, before the bridesmaids which was lovely.
    Standing in the lobby of the church, I could see everybody waiting for us, and I caught a glimpse of Jim as he moved into place at the front of the church. My heart was in my throat.
    After the make up lady made an emergency dash back to the house for the iPad (the kids readings were on there), the vicar led the bridal party in. The children walked in to 'Amazing Grace' by Eternal, they looked so beautiful walking up just how they had been shown and my new niece did an amazing job of flower girl, she was just the cutest little thing. And then their song finished.
    I heard the opening to 'You Do Something To. Me' by Paul Weller and my eyes began to fill up as I thought of how Jim would be feeling at his end of the aisle. As the words started my father in law led me into the church and I held on to his arm so tightly. As we turned the corner to walk up the aisle I was willing Jim to turn round but he didn't, I later learned that this was because he had already aught a glimpse of me at the door and was too busy trying not to cry lol. As we were walking down the aisle my father in law was trying to make me laugh by saying stuff like "who turned up in the dressing gown?" But I couldn't see a thing except Jim. As I neared the end of the aisle he finally turned round and I could see he was about to cry. He kissed me and we took our places alongside my father in law and his best man (his 15 year old son) in front of the vicar.

The vicar hugged us and thanked us for making her christmas then we drove literally across the road to the pub, it took us longer to turn round than to get there lol we had a lovely three course meal which was a Christmas dinner with a soup starter and gateaux for pudding or wedding cake. Then came the speeches...

My step son, my husbands best man, got up and did his speech first. He started by saying "I'm glad my Dad and Debbie are married now because they love each other which I witnessed on my 15th birthday when I walked in on them....." We nearly died and everybody laughed lol he continued to do a lovely speech. Jim did his speech and then my father in law did his and welcomed me and the children into their family which was lovely.

We did have a first dance, but that was probably the only traditional thing we really did. We danced to 'Back At One' by Brian McKnight which was our song of the summer so it was a perfect choice and yet another chance for Jim to act the twat lol but it was lovely.

I hope you all had a lovely christmas and here's wishing all of you an amazing new year. Good luck to those due to get married soon and enjoy planning your day!

• S
    Beginner December 2013
    smingram13 ·
    • Hide content

Sorry I had to do it in two parts, it kept booting me off x

• W
    Beginner March 2014
    WelshSam ·
    • Hide content

You look gorgeous, you have a fantastic figure for someone who has had 6 kids, I've had 2 and look nowhere near as good, lol. Looks like you had a fantastic day and just how you wanted it. I'm having a small wedding too and not planning on spending too much. You've proved it can be done.

Congratulations!

• MrsToffee
    Expert April 2015
    MrsToffee ·
    • Hide content

Lovely story!

• InWineTheresTruth
    Beginner July 2015
    InWineTheresTruth ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations! you guys are fast workers! you looked stunning xx

• slou90
    Beginner April 2014
    slou90 ·
    • Hide content

What a lovely story Smiley smile xxx lush pics too looks like you had such a lovely day x

• S
    Beginner December 2013
    smingram13 ·
    • Hide content

Welsh Sam, thank you...I tuck it all into my dress lol

Thanks everyone, we had a brilliant day and yes we are fast workers! We only decided to get married 5 weeks before the wedding so we had a lot of planning to do but it worked out just perfect! x

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

You looked absolutely stunning!

Congratulations!

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations, looks like you had an amazing day. Your dress i beautiful!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics