Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Bride2Bmarch15
Beginner March 2015

My dad 50 died last night 4 weeks before my wedding

Bride2Bmarch15, 2 of February of 2015 at 10:12 Posted on Planning 0 47

It's only four weeks to my wedding day, I'm devastated .

he should have been walking me down the aisle but unfortunately cancer got him , I see him on Thursday and if never seen anyone in as much pain. His funeral is now likely to be 4-6 weeks away because there needs to be an autopsy and inquest . It's going to be righ,t before my wedding day , I really don't know what to do . I don't think insurance will cover if I postpone but it's supposed to be the h,applets say of my life not the saddest.

My dad's ex is arranging the funeral, we have never been friends because she stopped him seeing me when I was growing up I just hope she does the funeral after my wedding or try and sort it sooner . Sounds selfish doesn't it.

Also so we lost my dad's mum only three months ago, I feel borderline depressed I'm trying to keep my self positive my family are falling apart, my grandad wishes he wasn't here.... I just feel everything has gone so very wrong all at the wrong time

47 replies

Latest activity by Pipsybus, 3 of February of 2015 at 16:16
  • Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

I'm so sorry. I have no words of wisdom to offer you, but didn't want to R&R.

I hope someone will be along soon to offer some better advice.

In the meatime, have a totally inadequate internet weirdy hug ?

• Nims
    Beginner July 2015
    Nims ·
    • Hide content

I felt like crying just seeing the title of this thread. I am absolutely gutted for you. So sorry for your loss.

I never know what to say regarding death. But if you need any practical help just ask. Try and focus on the joy you have - your partner, your upcoming wedding. xx

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

I'm so sorry. It's a shame DeeBee isn't still around as this exact same thing happened to her - I think it was six weeks to her wedding but her dad fell ill and deteriorated very quickly and passed. But I know she went ahead with the wedding. My granddad passed six weeks before my own parents' wedding too.

I obviously didn't know your dad but would he have wanted you to go ahead and try to be happy? I know it will be difficult and tinged with sadness but postponing may not help in the long run. You might find yourself associating your wedding with your grief and not wanting to go ahead at all.

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content

Sorry for your loss.

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

I'm so sorry for your loss, I can't even imagine what you're going through right now. Big hug ?

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

Oh sweetheart, I'm so sorry to hear this. Give yourself a couple of days to grieve and then decide what to do with the wedding. Look into your insurance, and think about how you feel. It will be hard, but your dad would want you to be happy x

• samidolls
    Beginner September 2015
    samidolls ·
    • Hide content

This is so awful, I can't imagine how you feel.

My advice would be don't make any rash decisions. It will take a while for you to even be able to think straight, when I was at school a very close friend died after suffering from cancer and it broke me- it took a few weeks to even function properly so I can only imagine that the loss of a parent is so much worse.

so take some time, spend it with your family and friends, lean on them are take their support, it is what they are there for and nobody will begrudge you it. The ladies of hitched are all here for you too.

weird internet hugs from me too.

• halloweeny
    Beginner October 2013
    halloweeny ·
    • Hide content

I'm very sorry for your loss. Lots of internet hugs and thoughts to you and your family.

(your insurance should cover this by the way so do give them a call if that's what you want)

• pink & glitz
    Beginner August 2014
    pink & glitz ·
    • Hide content

So sorry to hear this, I am sending you a hug. I am sure your dad would not want you to cancel your wedding Xx

• A
    Beginner September 2015
    almostmrsStimpson ·
    • Hide content

I just wanted to say how sorry I am for your loss.

I can't even begin to imagine how you are feeling.

my grandad passed in December and that really hit me hard in regards to our wedding in September and that he wouldn't be there but know this....

whether you postpone the wedding or go ahead, your dad will be with you every step of the way down that aisle. He would want you to have an amazing day regardless. I know it's not much comfort but no matter how sad this may be, your wedding is still a happy occasion x

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

So so sorry for your loss and so close to your wedding, you are clearly and understandably devastated.

On a practical front, check the wording of your insurance. It might not take 4-6 weeks. He has been ill so will have been under the care of doctors. Unless something unexpected happened then the process should be seamless and the funeral should be done before your wedding day.

Your wedding day will have a massive sad element for you now of course it will, but please try not to let the sadness rule the day. It really isn't what your dad would want. For your dad - you need to try and enjoy your wedding day. He will have loved seeing you enjoying your wedding planning and that will have meant so much to him.

I lost my mum 8 weeks after our engagement. She had been ill for some time too. The joy on her face when we told her we were getting married I will remember forever. Her absolute happiness for our wedding will also stay with me always even though she won't be there. We will enjoy the day, although I know my Dad will struggle, but she would want us all to have fun and be happy. I will picture her beaming face and try not to cry but I know I will fail at some point. I can;t change anything so it's important I do what Mum wanted.

hugs x

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

Very sorry for your loss.

• kizzi10000
    Beginner August 2016
    kizzi10000 ·
    • Hide content

Such an awful thing to happen ☹️. Big hugs to you

As for deciding what to do, don't make any decisions yet. When my dad died (also cancer, only 63, was given 3-6 months, went after 3 weeks) I lost 2 weeks as I was in a sort of limbo trying to get my head round what had happened. It's too raw at the moment and you won't be thinking sensibly. It's going to be incredibly hard, but if you're strong enough meybe going through with the wedding will give everyone something positive and happy to take away from such a sad time, and give you all something to focus on.

As for teh funeral, even though you don't get on with his ex, could you ask if she'd mind holding the funeral off until after the wedding? You may find whatever has happened in the past is put aside as you're both suffering his loss.

Don't forget to look after yourself in all of this xx

• Lui
    Beginner October 2015
    Lui ·
    • Hide content

I am sorry for your loss lovely!! Big hugs!!

• J
    Beginner November 2015
    jesikab4u ·
    • Hide content

Oh no :-( I'm so sorry for your loss. I know all too much how you feel I really do, I lost my dad on what was ment to be a special day.

if you ever need anything I'm here for you. Just like we all are here, sending my love for you and your family.

Xx

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

I have no words of wisdom or answers for you but couldn't read and run.

I'mvery sorry for your loss xxx

• MadamRed
    Beginner April 2017
    MadamRed ·
    • Hide content

☹️ I am so sorry to hear this. I agree with the other advice about just give yourself some time before making any decisions.

• MrsWarland2b
    Beginner May 2015
    MrsWarland2b ·
    • Hide content

Oh this is so sad! I really feel for you.

Im sure your dad will be looking down on you on your wedding day.Try to remember the good times and how much im sure he loved you.XXXX

• A
    Beginner April 2015
    AprilBride15 ·
    • Hide content

So sorry to hear of your loss. Sending big Hugs....

• H
    Beginner July 2016
    HeavyMetalMaiden ·
    • Hide content

So sorry for your loss. I wish you and your family all the best x

• lisaloulou
    Beginner
    lisaloulou ·
    • Hide content

My heart sank reading the title. I am so so sorry for your loss x

• A
    Beginner March 2015
    Ash953 ·
    • Hide content

I am sorry for your loss.

*hugs*

• xchristy_bbyx
    Beginner April 2016
    xchristy_bbyx ·
    • Hide content

I am so sorry, this is such a hard thing to go through at anytime but this time would be extra hard. My dad (step dad but he raised me like a father) died last year and he always said he couldn't wait to walk me down the aisle, cancer got him too, it does get better, you will always have hard days where you miss him and your wedding will be one of those, but i try to think mines will be there in spirit, i was there when my dad died holding his hand and honestly, as you said he was in pain and it might give you some peace knowing that when my dad died, he was in pain too, and right before it happened he smiled at us and looked relieved and peacefull.

Incorperate him into the day if you don't find it too painful, have charms, a memory chair at the top table, put him in the speeches and maybe a minute silence to remember him?

If you ever need to talk feel free to message me Smiley heart

• Vixy1987
    Beginner May 2016
    Vixy1987 ·
    • Hide content

Seeing the title of this bought tears to my eyes. I am so so sorry for your loss.

I lost my Dad 4 years ago when I was 23 (very sudden heart attack which no one saw coming) and I still miss him every day. I was in a daze for about 3 weeks after he died and I can't remember much about that time at all.

I know there isn't anything that anyone can say that will make this better for you, but like everyone has said don't worry about the wedding for a couple of weeks. Take time to grieve and to be with family. You won't be in any position to think clearly, you just need to make sure you look after yourself and take this time with everyone close to you.

After a few weeks, and when you know more about the funeral I would look into how you are feeling mentally and whether you think the wedding would just be too sad and you think it's not going to be a happy day (which I can guarantee you're Dad would want for you) then speak to your insurance and look at your options. With situations like this people are completely understanding so it is worth having a talk with them, but only when you feel up to it. Don't rush.

I am trying not to think about my Dad not being at the wedding, and just taking each day as it comes. There will be things that make me sad and I am waiting for that one thing that I know will make me breakdown. But I also know that he wouldn't want me to be sad and would want me to enjoy every minute if this planning experience. Just like your Dad would.

I haven't been on here long but I already see how everyone is here if you need to talk or just rant about something.

Finally, I was told one thing by an old friend who lost his Mom when we were at school that has stuck with me and proven to be true; "It'll never be ok but it will get easier" and believe me when I say you will get through it no matter how horrible it is at the moment.

Thinking of you and sending lots of internet hugs.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

You poor thing ? im so sorry for your loss.

• icklesal
    Beginner April 2015
    icklesal ·
    • Hide content

Really sorry for your loss

• A
    Beginner October 2015
    AlmostMrsS ·
    • Hide content

I am so sorry for your loss, I cant begin to Imagen what you must be going through.

• LittleMissPanda
    Beginner October 2015
    LittleMissPanda ·
    • Hide content

I'm so sorry for your loss hun
    I have no deep & meaningful advice but I agree with what the others have said, give yourself a little time before you decide what to do and try to look after yourself as well
    Sending you big Internet hugs
    xx

• M
    Beginner August 2016
    McHelenz ·
    • Hide content

Im so sorry to hear this. My dad passed away 18 months ago at 55, i feel your pain. I think if you can speak to his partner it would be beneficial for you to have some say in the funeral.

My dad died 8 weeks before i started my nurse training but i used it as a way to deal with my grief. Take some time but im sure the wedding will a great source of relief for you and your family.

Thoughts are with you at this difficult time xx

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

Take time for yourself and have time to grieve before you make any other decisions, take care.

• bubblerawk
    Beginner July 2016
    bubblerawk ·
    • Hide content

Awww im so sorry for your loss, take time to greave and try not to rush into anything.

always here if you need to talk xxxxx

• CBeckford
    Rockstar July 2015
    CBeckford ·
    • Hide content

I'm so sorry to read your post. I know personally I can't really be of any help, but I'm sending a mass of hugs your way.

x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics