Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

NorthumberlandBride

My dad wants me to WALK to church on my wedding day!

NorthumberlandBride, 20 of February of 2012 at 08:45 Posted on Planning 0 84

I'm getting married in the church at the top of the street and my dad actually suggested I "just wAlk it" this is not going down well with me. Now, yes it's close but I was hoping to go the long way around in our burgandy and white daimlers

84 replies

Latest activity by Hawk, 25 of February of 2012 at 15:48
  • greenbean
    Beginner July 2012
    greenbean ·
    • Hide content

I would probably be with your dad on this one. I personally don't understand the need to hire cars to very short journeys. Having said that, if you have your heartt set on it, then you should do what your gut says.

• charliebird7
    Beginner March 2012
    charliebird7 ·
    • Hide content

I think I would consider walking tbh. Mainly because I wouldn't want to pay out for a wedding car when my venue was so close.

• lurvlytwink
    Beginner June 2012
    lurvlytwink ·
    • Hide content

I agree with the other posters. i would walk and save your self a few quid

• Blonde Viki
    Beginner July 2012
    Blonde Viki ·
    • Hide content

If the weather is good, I'd walk it!

• CharleeA
    Beginner April 2013
    CharleeA ·
    • Hide content

I think it depends on your budget.

If you can afford it within your budget then why not? However, if your budget is tight and you want to save a few pennies then walking may be a good idea.

Can I just ask - are we date twins? 6th April 2013? Whereabouts are you getting married and having the reception? x

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Is the church on your street? I'd definitely walk!

• Gurzle
    Beginner April 2013
    Gurzle ·
    • Hide content

If you've already booked your cars and will be using them anyway to get to the reception venue and you want to drive then you may as well - I doubt it would be any cheaper to cut out the journey to the church as cars seem to be hired for half a day or a day at a time as they can't really do more than one wedding in a day (imagine if the first one ran late!! The stress for the poor driver would be terrible!) Personally, I'd rather walk whether it saved me money or not - you could have a chat with you dad and it might chill you out a bit, I'd get a pair of flip flops on and hoist up my skirt and walk it

• anothermrsjones
    Beginner July 2012
    anothermrsjones ·
    • Hide content

I agree with the others. Pointless to spend money on hiring a car to go such a short distance (IMO) mind you I probably think that cos that's what I'm doing. Church is a ten minute walk from my Grans and I think it'll be nice to walk it with my Dad. Hopefully it'll calm me down a bit too

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This.

Although, even if the weather was sh!te, i'd grab a brolly...

• Sloth
    Sloth ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't want to walk!! Maybe do the cars cheap, or if you have the car anyway - but I wouldn't walk it however close! As much as I want to be center of attention I don't want attention on the street.

• NorthumberlandBride
    NorthumberlandBride ·
    • Hide content

My reception is 9 miles away though.

Bah I'm just going to be a bridezilla on this one and get the cars- pls got to get oh from town and his smoky and they look so nice! I'm just doing this once so I'm gonna do it big lol. I'll pay for them myself.

• NorthumberlandBride
    NorthumberlandBride ·
    • Hide content

Oh and there's a main road to consider too, not just a little residential street, a really busy main road. I don't Want to be the Bride in the huge white dress dress hoiking up her skirt and walking- people will think it didn't showup. I'm surprised so many people would walk lol I thought it would. D a shocking thing lol my mum got a car from the same house to the same church - the same kind of car. I doubt my mum would allow me to walk without a hissy fit anyway. I can't make a grand enterence from a pelican crossing lol

Fine. I resign to it. I'm a bridezilla and I don't care lol

• L
    Beginner April 2013
    laura9889 ·
    • Hide content

Personally I agree with you id get a car! I would want to get my dress dirty ! And I wouldn't want everyone staring at me!

• NorthumberlandBride
    NorthumberlandBride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The cars are a big thing in our family. We're getting vintage to match the theme and a vintage bus for guests. We're getting married in my street (don't want to say where I live obv l) and the reception at the royal station hotel in Newcastle

• R
    Beginner June 2012
    Randomsabreur ·
    • Hide content

Depending on your dress, you might well get more crumpled in the car than on foot - regardless of the weather. I'm definitely walking to mine (also down street from hotel) because even if it's ridiculously wet, getting into and out of the cars will take longer than walking. Plus car can't actually get to the door of the chuch, so have to walk that bit anyway. Add in the fact that walking is a LOT more predictable than driving (especially on a summer Saturday with one way systems (church wrong way down one way street!) and we're on a tight schedule, not having a car, even a "free" one chauffeured by a friend/parent was a no brainer.

• NorthumberlandBride
    NorthumberlandBride ·
    • Hide content

See I kinda get that, but personally I think im

Still going to get the car. We need it for the rest of the day anyway and it's no big entrance for me lol

• R
    Beginner June 2012
    Randomsabreur ·
    • Hide content

We're quite big on cars too, but decided we'd rather put the wedding car pennies towards hiring something fun to drive at a time unrelated to the wedding rather than being driven a short distance. I'm also not convinced it's possible to make a grand entrance out of a car wearing a wedding dress - plus no-one will see you arrive - they're sat down by then! Major issue for me with the car was time (it would take longer than walking to fight through the traffic - so I can be in my hotel room waiting for a call from one of the ushers to say go. Car I'd have to leave about 15 minutes early to be ready on time) and the likelihood of crumpling my dress sitting in a car. By walking I can stay stood up (no crumples) from when I get in the dress to when I make my grand entrance. As for people looking at me - they'll be looking at the dress and veil, not the person in them!

• emze2011
    Beginner September 2013
    emze2011 ·
    • Hide content

White dresses and the main road don't mix! the last thing you want is to wake up to a rainy day and have to walk past a main road covered in muddy water!

i wouldn't risk it. the longer your outside the more the chance of wind messing your hair, bird poo, mud, dirt and the amount you could sweat on a really hot day in a huge dress, underwear and veil!

• D
    Beginner May 2012
    dlees81 ·
    • Hide content

Better not have photos outside then... ^ Smiley smile

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

Have to say I agree with your Dad about walking to the church if it is as close as you imply. It'll probably take you longer to get yourself in and out of the car than it would to walk!!

But, if you need a car to get you to the reception anyway then I suppose you may as well have it for the church as well as there would be little difference in cost.

A mate of mine got married a couple of years ago in a seaside town and after the meal we all followed her down to the beach by foot, was the most fabulous ending to a wedding ever and we got loads of waves!!

• F
    Beginner November 2012
    fryer83 ·
    • Hide content

What if it rained? Even with a brolley your dress would get wet! No, def get the cars to take you. You are hiring them anyway to take you to the reception, so why not? I'm a bridezilla too and I don't care. Lol

• D
    Beginner May 2012
    dlees81 ·
    • Hide content

But the dress wouldn't get wet walking from house to car and car to church? Sheesh do it becuase the cars are your 'thing', I buy that and think it's fine. But trying to justify it from a practical standpoint doesn't make much sense. Do it because you love the cars please.

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content

I personally would not be hiring a car for that. Then again, even if it were further I still wouldn't hire a car as I consider it a waste of money- I'd much rather put that money towards the account bar for the evening, or towards the wedding ring I'll be wearing the rest of my life. If I wasn't getting ready at my venue and have the same venue all day and night, I still would just borrow my OH's parents' car.

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

I would walk if it was that close! The pain of getting in and out of the car was enough for me!

And I would worry about traffic!

If you really want the cars then have them, but I would spend the money elsewhere if it was me.

My cousin walked to the church. They closed the village road and the whole wedding party walked, the photos were fab!

If worried about the bottom of the dress, get a bedsheet and cut a hole in the middle and step through it to lift the main part of the dress off the floor.

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

On the day if it rained you would have a panic so save yourself the trouble. If you are having cars anyway then use the car. It is your big day and you want to arrive in style and have some lovely pictures so go for it, you sound like you have made your mind up anyway.

• Mrs Mack
    Beginner May 2012
    Mrs Mack ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't walk either love your not alone! x

• D
    Beginner August 2013
    debs35 ·
    • Hide content

If you are using the cars anyway to get to the reception, you may as well go to the church in them! get the use out of your money! but if you decided to walk it, you could make a grand walk to the church by having a bm in front of you throwing petals along the path? (will prob blow away with traffic) but makes it more special, and a smaller bm could be shaking a small bell (like we had at school! lol!) saying here comes the bride! (saw on bridezillas!) just a thought! ? if you wanted the big build up!

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

We had the entire wedding party crossing the main road during our wedding (between civil ceremony and blessing) - we got lots of cheers from passers-by/tourists on buses and it was actually really fun! I'll dig out some photos later...

If you like your cars and don't have to pay extra for that short journey, then go for it, but walking isn't as totally impractical as you're suggesting.

• T
    Beginner July 2013
    tantrums ·
    • Hide content

When a close friend of mine got married ten years ago, she got ready at my house and we ran the 5 minutes to the church as we were getting rather late. It was sunny, we ran in slippers, kicked them off at the church and got married in bare feet. My best memory of the day is running through towm, we must have looked a sight, but we were giggling the whole way. It was such a happy occasion that anything that happened just added to the joy.

I hope my day will be like that.

• looneysh
    Beginner May 2012
    looneysh ·
    • Hide content

I would and am walking to my ceremony. But as you say your reception is 9 miles away and you would need the car for that anyway. If you want a car have the car.

• NorthumberlandBride
    NorthumberlandBride ·
    • Hide content

I spoke to my daD and he laughed at me- turns out that my grandad suggested same thing to my mum when she got married in the church (coming from the same house) he said he didn't actually expect his minimousetk walk lol which is good. I know I'm a bridezilla princess but I don't care- I'm the most accident prone person ever and I'm not walking past the chippy on a Saturday at lunchtime in my dress. I'm paying for my daimlers all day so I may as well come in style. No bed sheets or slippers for me lol

The one day I'm Not walking is my wedding day! My hubby is even going to carry me into the hotel across the red carpet like a big ol prince lol

• *sweetpea*
    Beginner July 2012
    *sweetpea* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I unfortunately can't get the full list of smilies on my work PC but if I did I'd have the rolling around laughing one!!! V funny mental image!! Quite right - get your cars. It's the one day for being totally self indulgent!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics