Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

navychick
Beginner August 2011

my disappointing BM dresses

navychick, 26 August, 2011 at 21:12 Posted on Planning 0 9

I've written a few times about the shoddy service, make and delivery times from a dress shop in my local town, where I've ordered my BM dresses from.
i picked up the dresses on Wednesday and when my step daughters tried them on yesterday it was very clear that the alterations haven't been done correctly. The dresses have been taken in too much, the girls couldn't barely breathe. the hems have been taken up too much on one, and the stitching on the top of the band on one dress was merely tacked together. In fact, when you look at the photos, you can even see one of the dresses on the hem is lopsided!
i've taken the dresses to another seamstress who's done the best she can, she's let out the sides, but there really was nothing that can be done with the length - too much had been taken out of the shoulder straps, and of course the hem itself. I did consider having them both taken up to knee length, but this style just won't suit both of the girls. I would rather they felt comfortable in the dress than have them altered again just to make them right.
I'm so disappointed, in fact my OH is even more so disappointed. I feel as if I've let them all down as I tried to buy affordable dresses from what I thought was a reputable shop.
I want to post on her facebook page and show all of her FB friends the shoddy work that goes on there, but I don't want to drop myself in the doo doo. i've spoken to Trading Standards, and I'll write her a letter/e-mail together with photos and asking that she refund me the fees i had to pay to correct her poor work, but frankly i don't care if she doesn't, I just don't want anyone else to go through the same stress that I have. I've been awake literally every morning this week since 4am worrying about these dresses, i thought all would be ok once I got them sorted, but they're still not right, and never will be.
I just don't know what else to do.
Just so no-one thinks I'm making it up all up, here's a couple of pics:-

9 replies

Latest activity by 3d jewellery, 26 August, 2011 at 23:25
  • Sparkles82
    Beginner April 2013
    Sparkles82 ·
    • Hide content

That hem is really very uneven.... I am so sorry for you!

I recall in your original post that you said it was Lincoln - I am in Cleethorpes but planning to do all of my dress shopping in Lincoln, would you mind sending me a message letting me know who it was so I can avoid?

Thanks.

• navychick
    Beginner August 2011
    navychick ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

hi Sparkles, for some reason i can't send you an e-mail, drop me a line, **********@*****.***, and I'll forward the shop name to you.

cheers

• CarolineBride
    Dedicated August 2013
    CarolineBride ·
    • Hide content

You poor thing with all the hassle, and poor BM's - let's hope they thoroughly enjoy their role and your day to put a sparkle back into it all for them.

Is there a family member who might be kind enough to straighten that wonky hem for you, and perhaps take up the other one to ankle length to match?

What do you think?

If not, have a word with teh photographer and ask to arrange flattering photos that won't highlight it x

• Soulmates
    Beginner August 2012
    Soulmates ·
    • Hide content

I wish I could wave a magic wand and fix it for you.

Only ideas I have is to have them both shortened which I know you don't like the idea of,

or how about adding a trim to the bottom edge of the underskirt/lining to lengthen them?

You really don't need this do you?!

• navychick
    Beginner August 2011
    navychick ·
    • Hide content

Thanks ladies
    I've just had a conversation with my sister, who was with me yesterday when the girls tried on the dresses. We're going to leave them as they are. I think it's probably more a case of we know that the dresses aren't right, so we're purposely focusing on them, whereas our guests probably won't even notice the length, or wonky hem line! We've also considered asking the photographer to do some canny shots, so it's not obvious on the photos.
    What's important is that the girls are comfortable, which they are now the dresses have been let out at the sides.
    I'm going to write the shop a strong letter, with photos and leave it at that.
    I need to let this drop now, and focus on the day itself, else I'll be a quivering wreck!
    Many thanks to you all for your kinds words of support, it is much appreciated.
    I'm now going to go and enjoy my day!

Ta ra!!

• nanny plum
    Beginner September 2011
    nanny plum ·
    • Hide content

Obviously you have a case against the work on the dresses. However if you had posted a full length photo with the lovely hair and make up and flowers along with your bridesmaids smiling faces the uneven hem would not have been nearly as noticeable. Have a brilliant wedding.

• saspip
    Beginner May 2012
    saspip ·
    • Hide content

Honestly, when they're all made up and have their flowers and you looking beautiful with them I don't think anyone will notice the uneven hem. Have a fabulous day! xxx

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content

I would either make them both just above the shoe or mid calf

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics