Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner October 2011

My first wedding dress fitting!

Mrs.Keogh2b, 23 January, 2011 at 13:35 Posted on Planning 0 2

Hi all, I am going wedding dress shopping on friday 28th Jan and wondered what to expect? I have never tried one on before or been with anyone who has. So im a little anxious about it all.

Anyone got any tips or info would set my mind at ease.

Thanks

Gemma

2 replies

Latest activity by sapphire_22, 23 January, 2011 at 14:48
  • Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

1 - take someone honest with you or go alone. You can take your 'entourage' once you've narrowed down your choices. Too many cooks...

2 - try on as many different styles as you can until you work out what suits you. Wedding gowns cary tremendously and what you think will suit you might not, so keep an open mind.

3 - even if you don't like them (I'm not a fan), try on a huge meringue type dress. They are super fun to prance around in!

4 - wear a decent bra. Strapless if possible. You need something to give you some decent support.

5 - wear a paid of big pants that you'll be comfortable in. You be stood in your undies in front of women you don't know so bear that in mind if you want to wear a tiny pair of knickers!

6 - take a bottle of water. It's more tiring than you think!

7 - most shops won't let you take photos but do ask, some are more relaxed than others. If you find dresses you like, make sure you make a note of the designer and name of the dress so you can look it up when you get home.

8 - enjoy yourself!

• sapphire_22
    Beginner September 2011
    sapphire_22 ·
    • Hide content

^^WSS. Particularly the bit about wearing big pants. Didn't think of this when I went dress shopping and turned up wearing a thong. Spent the whole afternoon trying to (unsuccessfully) hide my bare bum from the middle aged shop assistant ?

Just make sure you try on every style, even if you think it's 'not you' or it looks like the most hideous dress in the shop on the hanger, sometimes it can the most beautiful thing you've ever worn once you've put it on.

Make sure you don't bring more than 2 people and only bring people who will be 100% honest with you - do not rely on the shop assistants for this cos they will tell you that you looked beautiful in an old sack if you were willing to pay £1000 for it lol.

Try on all the extras - different veils, tiaras, side tiaras, hair combs, shawls, boleros, different shoes - even if you don't think you want them, sometimes they can make or break a dress. But don't be tempted to buy any extras from the shop straight away.

If you find a dress you really love then get it. Do not be tempted to just 'have a look' at 10 other bridal shops because you will find yourself trying to decide between 11 lovely dresses and worrying that you've picked the wrong one.

Expect your dress to take up to 5-6months to be delivered to the shop in your size after you've paid your deposit Smiley sad

Don't feel guilty that you've tried on every dress in the shop 3 times and still aren't sure - this is the shop assistants job and she has almost certainly seen worst. Also don't feel bad if, when you have found a perfect dress, you just want to stand and stare at yourself in the mirror for the rest of the afternoon - that is completely acceptable Smiley smile

Finally, remember you can always ask other Hitchers advice if you are stuck between 2 or 3 dresses. We like flashes ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics