Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Gracey
Beginner February 2012

My Fitness Pal

Gracey, 30 of March of 2014 at 21:15 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 10

Just as a continuation from the weight loss thing, I just wanted to say that I find it quite useful after someone on here recommended it to me ? I force myself to be honest on it, and I find that I am pretty rubbish with knowing the exact weights of things, so I try to 'overdo' the calories when recording, and 'under do' the exercise I register. Today I have had around 1200 calories ?

10 replies

Latest activity by Victor, 2 of July of 2024 at 17:01
  • *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content

I'm going to download this tonight, my friends been saying it's great too.

Getting back on the wagon properly tomorrow, had some chocs and pizza today so not great but new start tomorrow ?

• tayto
    Beginner May 2013
    tayto ·
    • Hide content

I'm getting back onto this tomorrow - am gonna really push myself into being honest - not sure how long it will last for though!

• Tizzie
    Beginner June 2012
    Tizzie ·
    • Hide content

I like it. I like the barcode scanner, so easy. Although I had a rough idea of calories, I was surprised at the sugar in some things, it was really interesting. I use RunKeeper for my walking and it automatically puts the calories lost into mfp and it's usually slightly less than if you input minutes walked into it. I'm also on my feet all day for walking all day for work so nothing goes in for that so I give myself some slack for that.

The last time I did it I struggled to eat 1,000 a day (it was summer and I tend to live off of yoghurt, fruit, salad and water ice lollies, which isn't very good in the long run, but was way over on sugar every day.

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

I like it too, but I think you do have to be the sort of person who likes measuring and tracking things. It appeals to me cos I'm OCD, but I know some people hate it - after all, lots of ads for diet products sell themselves on "no weighing or measuring!"

However, I only jut found out yesterday that you can set your own calorie goal! It was telling me that to lose 1.5lb a week I should be eating 1270, which I felt was too low. I went through a phase of getting headachey and nauseated in the late afternoons and I knew it was cos I hadn't eaten enough during the day. Then to lose 1lb a week it goes up to 1530, which I think is a bit high and leads me to snack in the evening on things I don't really want, just cos I have calories left over. So I set it manually to 1400 which seems about right for me.

• KittenCake
    Beginner May 2013
    KittenCake ·
    • Hide content

I agree that it is a faff to use if you do a lot of cooking from scratch. I am off the bandwagen with MFP at the moment and this is the reason. I do wish it would have more generic recipe templates on, just to give you an idea how much you have eaten.

• bliss_balloons
    bliss_balloons ·
    • Hide content

I tend to just weigh everything and try and put in the exact amount of calories if I can. I'm only allowed 1200 calories a day which is a struggle some days but will be ok once I get back into exercising again.

• DrBuffles
    Beginner August 2014
    DrBuffles ·
    • Hide content

I'm another big fan of MFP for keeping track. I find I don't take my diet seriously enough if I don't use it. I'm a bit all or nothing and need to be semi obsessed or it doesn't work.

Agree I do find it a bit of a pain for entering fresh things. I just try and over estimate if anything thinking a bit of extra brocolli or cucumber is not going to do any major damage. I'm never sure how accurate the exercise calculations are so I try and keep my food under to be a bit safe.

let me know if you want to add me and I'll PM you my log in. My diary is open to view.

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

I love the fact that I can keep tally of what I'm eating now that I've finally added most of the recipes H & I use. Before that, it was a bit of a faff because I don't really eat processed/prepackaged food.

Does anyone else suspect that it overestimates the calories burned through exercise though? I often walk into town which is 2 miles away and it takes me 45 minutes at a comfortable pace. MFP tries to tell me that's burned around 200 calories, but that seems too high to me.

• V
    Pennsylvania
    Victor ·
    • Hide content

If you're looking for a top-notch personal trainer in Mount Airy, Maryland, look no further than Completely Fit. With personalized training plans and expert guidance, they help you achieve your fitness goals effectively. Whether you're aiming to lose weight, build muscle, or improve overall health, Completely Fit has the expertise and dedication to support your journey.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics