Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

E
Beginner March 2018

My friend stole my idea!

ExpensiveRedCars840, 24 of October of 2017 at 00:34 Posted on Planning 0 5

Ok so my friend got married earlier this year. She only recently got her photos back and was not happy with them. She booked a different photographer for a reshoot and got some photos back..

I had a particular idea for my own wedding photos (my OH and I are getting married next year) I had told her about this after their wedding, not knowing she was unhappy/reshooting her photos. This wasn't an idea that featured in their original wedding photos but I can't help but feel she has stole my idea. I don't want to go into specifics incase I'm found out but it's not something a lot of people would have as part of their album. I feel like a bridezilla but what are people's thoughts on this? I feel a bit screwed over!

5 replies

Latest activity by SpecialEdition1987, 30 of December of 2017 at 21:55
  • H
    Beginner May 2018
    HappyBrownConfetti849 ·
    • Hide content

You feel how you feel unfortunately, it was a little underhanded of her to take your idea without even asking you. In my mind a real friend would say to you; "hey I'm getting my photos redone as I'm really unhappy with them, would you mind if I used your idea of ... As it sounds really awesome"

However, you don't have ownership of said idea so she can do as she likes (and has done), if she then goes on to claim it's her idea and you've copied her, that would have me questioning the friendship. If she actually tells people, "well this one was X's idea and I've kind of borrowed it", then I'm guessing she doesn't see a problem

Let her know how you're feeling, say you're feeling a little betrayed because your idea was so unique and now everyone will think you copied her. If she's a good friend she should understand (might be a bit prickly about it though).

You could always put a caption in your album claiming your photo as the "original" if you want to make a joke out of it

• H
    Beginner May 2018
    HappyBrownConfetti849 ·
    • Hide content

Oh I forgot to mention, people will have forgotten her photos by the time your wedding comes around. Unless she puts copies on the wall, her album will end up in a drawer like every other wedding album in existence, so people probably won't notice, meaning that her photos shouldn't end up detracting from yours.

I know this but sounds a little cynical, but it's meant to be helpful x

• R
    Beginner April 2018
    RomanticBlueCakes716 ·
    • Hide content

Yes, she copied you but the only people who will be really looking at and paying attention to your photos are you and your HTB, no-one else will be paying such close attention to both sets that they would notice. Just be flattered that she liked your idea.

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

I often get asked if I can do something that a bride has seen elsewhere but usually one of my own that they have seen but the shot although based on what she has seen will always end up being "their own" and different because there are so many factors that go into an image, the weather is a big one, location (venue style) time of day, style of wedding dress style - veil, all will go into an image, not to mention the person shooting it and the equipment.

• nataliaswiaderphotography
    nataliaswiaderphotography ·
    • Hide content

Is the idea super unique? Does it have anything to do with the location of the photoshoot?

Book a photographer and arrange a session that will blow her mind! And everyone else's on social media Smiley smile

• S
    Curious August 2018
    SpecialEdition1987 ·
    • Hide content

Are you serious? Just be happy your friend has photos she's happy with.

Other than the bride and groom who looks at the photos more than once?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics