Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Hmcx
Beginner July 2014

My hair is too dark....

Hmcx, 21 of July of 2014 at 09:26 Posted on Planning 0 22

As some of you know I dyed my hair last week (and stained most of my skin, it disappeared after 4 days).

It was supposed to be medium mahogany brown, what I got instead was black!

hair after

Ive vey washed it 7 times since Wednesday hoping to fade it, but it's not budging. I'm too pale to pull off this colour.

Now I have 5 days til the wedding and I'm worried I'm going to be morticia Adams bride!!!

22 replies

Latest activity by Hmcx, 25 of July of 2014 at 00:44
  • MrsKHbutterfly
    Rockstar September 2014
    MrsKHbutterfly ·
    • Hide content

Oh hun! if it;s any consolation i think that it's a lovely colour and has a lovely shine to it! i know how it is when we're not happy with our hair colour though!! what shampoo are you using to wash your hair? i've been told in the past that head & shoulders and Pantene both strip colour from hair quicker than other brands.... hope that helps, and good luck getting it to a shade your happy with xxx

• Hmcx
    Beginner July 2014
    Hmcx ·
    • Hide content

I have been using head and shoulders (only because joe harts face is on the front). I've moved on to medicated shampoo today.
    This is the one I used

Which would have have been a lovely colour.
    luckily I'm not feeling devastated yet, just hoping it fades a bit more before Saturday.
  • MrsKHbutterfly
    Rockstar September 2014
    MrsKHbutterfly ·
    • Hide content

You're right, that is a lovely colour! am sure it will fade to closer to that by saturday :-)

xxx

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    Mrslizziew2be ·
    • Hide content

Use head and shoulders, when people are having hair colour stripping treatment salons advise to use this inbertween treatments as it helps strip it. It may lighten your hair enought if you do it every day. Hope it helps.

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

Yeah, it's certainly darker than the box, but it isn't black. Try not to panic too much! You can buy specific colour stripping kits at Boots and the like, but I'm not sure what sort of condition they leave your hair in. You may be better to just keep washing normally and accept that your hair is a bit darker than you wanted than try all sorts of things and end up with hair like straw!

• Hmcx
    Beginner July 2014
    Hmcx ·
    • Hide content

Im not sure about stripping colour kits I worry about what I'd be left with.

maybe I'll just get a no 3 tan instead of a no 1 then my hair won't look so dark next to my face!

• .A.S.
    Beginner July 2014
    .A.S. ·
    • Hide content

PUT AWAY THE HAIR STRIPPING TREATMENTS. it is TOO close to your big day to deal with patches and uneveness.

The colour is gorgeous - maybe wear more "colour" in your make up to offest the dark hair colour. not more "make up" - more "colour". warm tones will look lovely.

If you do want to fade it, the safest way is a "Clarifying shampoo". Bumble & bumble's Sunday shampoo is great, but make sure you use a hair mask between now and the wedding. Dying your hair and washing it so much will make it dry and brittle.

Honestly though, don't worry. Looks good to me X

• RusticBride15
    Beginner June 2015
    RusticBride15 ·
    • Hide content

Fairy liquid has helped me in the past lather it up and leave it on the hair for a good few minutes before washing out.. But honestly it doesn't look too bad, get your make up artist to use warmer tones on your face when applying your make up, this will help offset the dark in your hair..

Once your big days here and your all done up with your hair and make up you'll hardly notice it

❤️

• Pipsybus
    Beginner June 2015
    Pipsybus ·
    • Hide content

I think it looks a great colour! I've gone a few shades darker in the past and it takes a little time to get used to it. Are you having an up do on your wedding day? Maybe when it's all piled up it will feel better?,

• mustard_mitt
    Beginner September 2015
    mustard_mitt ·
    • Hide content

That's exactly the same shade as my hair (natural colour) and I'm very naturally pale and I would say that's a deep mahogany brown.

Personally I think I rock the Morticia Addams look ? It's honestly not as bad as you think it is.

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

Funnily enough I used a lightish brown Nice & Easy dye once - it came out pretty much black - much darker than yours. Mine was only a semi perm colour but it did not shift!

For what it'a worth I think it looks nice. And def agree withn the warmer colours make up advice, it'll make all the difference. Don't go down the colour stipping route - it really damages your hair. If you're that worried about it maybe get some caramel highlights or something to break it up a bit?

• W
    Beginner November 2014
    Wife In Training ·
    • Hide content

I've used Vosene shampoo before to tone my hair down when I've dyed it too dark. It did make my hair feel quite greasy though so please don't use it on your actual wedding day!

• cinnamon009
    Beginner December 2014
    cinnamon009 ·
    • Hide content

I would steer clear of anything too harsh or you could ruin the condition of your hair so close to the big day.

I was once told to use hot oil treatments to fade hair colour but haven't tried that personally. Warm olive oil on your hair for 30 mins then rinse.

T'internet does show this on a blog spot for a product called Colour B4

http://thisislittlemisslove.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/how-to-remove-permanent-hair-dye-colour.html

The results seem good and it doesn't seem to have harmed her hair so if you are really desperate, it might be worth a try.

• smilesjp
    Beginner July 2015
    smilesjp ·
    • Hide content

I've had this happen to me before. I heard that using Head and Shoulders can strip the colour away?

• Hmcx
    Beginner July 2014
    Hmcx ·
    • Hide content

Just been to try my dress and the hair looks awful against it. I do t think it helped that due to the shop ordering 2 sizes bigger than the stock size I tried on (even though the stock size did up....just)

after having alterations the dress now doesn't sit right on the bust. And it's massive on the bust which can't be helped much as it's cupped! Big massive cups!!i feel like Madonna!!

• Hmcx
    Beginner July 2014
    Hmcx ·
    • Hide content

It's been 8 days, I've washed my hair 11 times, but it's still so dark. And so very soft and shiny which is going to be awful for trying to do my hair on Saturday!!

im thinking about dying it again!

• Gemini_Bride
    Beginner September 2014
    Gemini_Bride ·
    • Hide content

Please don't dye it again, it will only make it darker whatever you put on it! Unless you are willing to risk something with peroxide to bleach it but you never know what colour it may go!

Is your hair going to be up or down, if it is up then it shouldn't be as noticeable. I would say keep washing it as you are its the only way it would fade, and if you are still worried pop a little self tan on - just subtle to warm your own skin tone.

• Hmcx
    Beginner July 2014
    Hmcx ·
    • Hide content

Perfect 10 do a dye called reddish blonde, I remembered that 2 years ago I dyed my hair on my sisters hen night and it was really dark. And then I dyed it again before her wedding came with this other dye and it went the actual colour I'd hoped for the first dye to go.

Im am nervous, I might book a hairdresser appointment for tomorrow morning, just I case it all goes horribly wrong!!

• Alisha.B
    Expert April 2022
    Alisha.B ·
    • Hide content

Ive used colour B4 to strip my hair from black (im whiter than a ghost so dont suit black well but keep thinking in snow white lol) a few times and never ended up patchy etc... and I have horrible thin hair that falls out to the touch but it took it to a very nice natural brown colour with no damage, you can also dye afterwards to change the color straight away

washing a permanent dye repeatedly over a week wont do anything and stripping is probably going to give you a better result than lightening with peroxides (which cant be stripped later and will leave patches/streaks)

• Hmcx
    Beginner July 2014
    Hmcx ·
    • Hide content

Befor I'd read the last one I went and bought a new dye. So here I am sat with it on. I'm feeling nervous now

• MrsKHbutterfly
    Rockstar September 2014
    MrsKHbutterfly ·
    • Hide content

Ooohhh good luck!!! flash us when you're done! :-) xx

• Hmcx
    Beginner July 2014
    Hmcx ·
    • Hide content

It's not a massive difference, but at least it's now a warmer tone rather than black!! Panic over.

Thanks for all of the advice!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics