Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

NeoShoegal

My holiday vacation has been cancelled again

NeoShoegal, 1 October, 2008 at 12:53 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 5

Last year I booked a cruise to China & Japan for April 2009. In January this year we received a letter to say that the ship had been privately chartered and that they would cancel the cruise. They gave us a list of options with other cruises in the area but none went to Japan so we decided not to go with those options.

We had a good look around and chose another cruise with the same company but going round the tip of South America. We decided to take this for Christmas 2009 so we would spent both Christmas and New Year on board. This would be the first time that we would actually plan something special for New Year's. We've been together for 13 years now and every time we planned something for NYE it always went wrong (usually one of us was ill, so for the past few years we kept NYE low key).

Guess what, got a letter today from the cruise line to say the ship has been redeployed and they are cancelling the trip. Again, they have given a list of options of similar cruises but they are all for the spring of 2009 and no way can we afford it by then and it also means missing out on the holidays onboard. Suffice to say, I am not happy.

I've had a look at their other cruises for the holidays of 2009 and they are nearly all in the Caribbean which means plenty of kids onboard (the longer South America cruises are usually less family orientated). We've also done the Caribbean a couple of times already and wanted a different type of itinerary, hence first choice of Japan, second choice South America.

Now I can't do my first 2 choices with them, other cruise lines that sail in that are more expensive (we were getting a special deal as we are repeat customers).

We're now looking at some other ideas, but I feel seriously let down by the cruise line. ?

5 replies

Latest activity by Kevind, 9 January, 2024 at 11:10
  • texasgirl26
    Beginner
    texasgirl26 ·
    • Hide content

You certainly are having bad luck!

I remember last time you were having problems finding flights I think it was......hope you are able to find something soon. The problem with those xmas/new year trips is that they get booked up so quickly.

Good luck.

TG

• NeoShoegal
    NeoShoegal ·
    • Hide content

Just had a look at some cruises with another cruiseline, one of the ultra luxury ones. The itinerary wouldn't be as amazing as the South America cruise but the cruise itself would be out of this world. Our agent can give us quite a good discount of them but they are still painfully expensive, although they are all inclusive.

So now I'm wondering do we want to spend about £2000 more to have one of those cruises (all expenses and spending money included) or do we want to do something completely different. Last year we spent a few days on a ranch in Arizona and it was heavenly. The thought of spending our holidays there is really appealing as it is a great family atmosphere there. We could combine that with a trip to Las Vegas and visiting a few friends and all together it would be a whole lot cheaper than either of those cruises!

• texasgirl26
    Beginner
    texasgirl26 ·
    • Hide content

I guess it depends what you like - I personally would prefer to have a better itinerary that the better cruise ship. Saying that I have only been on Royal Caribbean and it was great, can't see anyone needing anything more than what they provided. So I wouldn't spend £2k more if the itinerary wasn't as good. Then again, it's relative - if the holiday was say costing £10k then 2k isn't as much to add on than if say the holiday was costing 2k to start with if you see what I mean.

I love Arizona and a ranch does sound heavenly - and a few days in Vegas sounds fun. If you want to do Vegas for new year there are lots of good parties you can go to, whilst not cheap for tickets etc....it is a lot of fun.

TG

• NeoShoegal
    NeoShoegal ·
    • Hide content

Well, it was going to be very expensive holiday so the £2K extra wouldn't even be close to doubling the price, but it is more than enough for us to say, let's rethink this.

Our cruises have also always been with Royal Caribbean, but I feel really let down by them now. Their letter is only willing to give you some onboard credit if you book the cruises they listed which are all within the next 8 months, rather than the end of next year so not exactly viable options. No offers if you want to rebook for another cruise. We chose to go end of next year to have time to save up for it.

We wouldn't really want to spend NYE in Vegas as we're not much the party-going kind, would rather do Vegas a few days before the Christmas and spend both Christmas and NYE at the ranch as we really loved the atmosphere there.

• James
    Beginner December 2025 Monmouthshire
    James ·
    • Hide content

The speaker acknowledges their lack of personal experience, including travel issues, but is available to assist with any questions or information you may need.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics