Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

R
Beginner April 2018

My mum threatening not to go to my wedding!

RomanticBlueCakes716, 2 of April of 2018 at 20:40 Posted on Planning 0 3

So my mum has always been a bit nuts, we certainly don't have a normal family dynamic. She is very moody, visits to see her are done because of obligation and we normally sit quite tensely and polite and be passive aggressive about her crazy moods and just brush it under the carpet and never call her out on her *** and my dad just knuckles under and enables her behaviour. When we got engaged, she immediately wanted full day invites for 8 to 12 of her work friends, I immediately said that's far too many, our guest list is 80 people tops and half his big family were not being invited and they can have evening invites. About 5 months ago we were talking on the phone and she stated that when she was over visiting her cousin, she would tell him that him and his new partner of 6 months were invited, the partner my mum and aunt basically thought is a freeloader. I said straight away that she had no right inviting people on my behalf and under no circumstances was she to extend any invitations without my permission.

So she hangs up the phone, we barely speak for months, I don't go for Christmas dinner. After Christmas, she is starting to mellow a bit until yesterday, 4 days before the wedding, starts questioning why I wanted to do a family dinner the night before the wedding, and then says she is extremely hurt and upset and doesn't feel welcome and she may not come to the wedding. She says the day is also about her, not just me and my partner and I told her I disagreed. My partner is totally furious that she is pulling this so close to the wedding and I doubt he will ever willingly be in the same room as them ever again.

A few hours later, my dad texts my trying to get me to apologise to her and then she texts me a while later. I tell her I'm sorry we obviously have different views on weddings, but this is our day and that's how it is, and then she keeps asking if I want her to come, as if she wants me to beg her. I reiterate she is welcome to come and that's the last I've heard.

Any thoughts or words of advice? My partner would quite happily cut her out of our lives completely.

3 replies

Latest activity by MetalBride, 3 of April of 2018 at 08:46
  • S
    Beginner April 2018
    shanmia35 ·
    • Hide content

She’s doing this for the attention. Tell her you really hope she will be there but will understand if she chooses not to come, and then leave it there.

• R
    Beginner April 2018
    RomanticBlueCakes716 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you, that's basically what I have done, I just need some outside perspective, there is always an element of doubt that I'm being unreasonable, but she has always been moody and neurotic and no one ever calls her out on it, I seriously think this has permanently damaged our relationship, my partner will refuse to be in the same room as her after Thursday. And now I'm dreading being anywhere near her, I'll tolerate her on the day but I just don't think I can't play happy families.

• S
    Beginner April 2018
    shanmia35 ·
    • Hide content

I’m really sorry you’re going through this. Just remember that at the end of the day, your wedding is about you and your partner and you spending the rest of your lives together. It doesn’t make falling out with close family any easier but it’s something to focus on when times get hard!

Good luck and hope you get to enjoy the rest of your wedding planning xx

• MetalBride
    Beginner April 2018
    MetalBride ·
    • Hide content

I would find your mum's behaviour very confusing, I really don't understand why she would be upset over a family dinner, I mean that's tradition in some places. I would just say as the previous poster has that ideally you would like her to be there but is she doesn't want to be then that's her choice and leave it up to her. Playing happy families is the hardest thing about wedding planning I've found. I hope it all goes well xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics