Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner August 2020

My mum wants to wear a white dress

HappyGoldConfetti11852, 27 of January of 2020 at 19:46 Posted on Planning 0 5

I don’t know where to start with this but basically my mum wants to wear a white dress to our wedding. I’ve asked her not to wear a white dress and whilst I understand that there can be a bit of a trend for mothers of the bride to wear a white dress to the wedding we don’t have a very good relationship and on this occasion I feel like it’s one compromise I don’t want to make.

Although I have explained to her that I really only want one white dress in the photos and she can wear gold silver or any other colour she chooses she is steadfastly wanting to wear a white dress. One of the dresses she tried on was actually a ballgown. She’s also choosing not to wear a hat which is totally fine or jacket again totally fine but then she really just looks like another woman wearing a white dress to my wedding. She really can’t understand why I wouldn’t want her to. I’m finding the whole situation really stressful because every day she sends me multiple photos of different white dresses she wants to wear And when I say that I’m not sure about the colour choice she flies off the handle.

Would you just suck it up and let her get on with it?

5 replies

Latest activity by zaraahmad, 24 of February of 2020 at 11:35
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

"She really can’t understand why I wouldn’t want her to."

Hmmm. A grown woman plans on wearing a white ball gown to her daughter's wedding and 'can't understand' why her daughter might not like that idea. Sorry, but I suspect she understands all too well and is just wanting to steal the limelight.

Either let it go if it's not an issue for you, or if it is (and it sounds as if it is, and I TOTALLY understand that) just tell her firmly that white is NOT an option. Do you have an aunt or other relative who might have more success at getting the message across?

It's actually for her benefit as well as your own - she is not going to come out of this well if she goes ahead with her plans, as every other guest at your wedding will probably be disgusted!

• H
    Rockstar June 2020
    HappyBlueCars582 ·
    • Hide content

Let her do it! She’s going to look silly and people will see her for what she really is!

• H
    Savvy
    HappyBrownCars12359 ·
    • Hide content

Eeeesh this is really rough, especially if you don’t have a great relationship. I think the suggestion of seeing if someone else who might be close to her can also try and talk to her to get her to understand that she isn’t going to come across brilliantly by wearing a long white dress.

Failing that, can a friend “accidentally” pour a full glass of red wine on her on the day?!

Hope you get somewhere with it x

• H
    Beginner August 2020
    HappyGoldConfetti11852 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks guys. You’ve made me feel much better. In truth she has been gaslighting me and making me feel like I’m crazy for NOT wanting her to wear white. I really started to think I was the one with the problem. She has actually got her sister to speak to me and ask me to be more reasonable as it’s ‘her day too’. Just to be clear we are paying for our wedding so it’s really our day. After many tears I’ve come to the conclusion she will do her own thing. Whether I like it or not. I think for me there is just a sadness that I can’t rely on her to be a normal mum just this once. Never mind marrying my fiancé is the most important thing.

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

"It's her day too" Err, no it isn't. And that comment tells you all you need to know. Even on your wedding day, she thinks the spotlight has to be on her.

Ignore her. If she wants to act like a spoilt toddler, let her get on with it. It's hard having to accept that you can't have the traditional mother & daughter relationship, but if you keep holding on to that hope, it's only going to wreck your wedding day. Focus on those friends and family who are truly supportive, and above all, focus on your new life with your fiance. Best wishes x

• zaraahmad
    Curious August 2021
    zaraahmad ·
    • Hide content

Whatever the reason or whatever your mother is thinking. I think, You should do the what is right.

I think you can sit with her and explain your issue and i hope she will understand and will change her mind.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics