Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

T
Beginner October 2015

My photographer just cancelled 6 weeks before the wedding!!!

tiltedsanity, 26 of August of 2015 at 13:58 Posted on Planning 0 14

So I'm just looking for somewhere to vent really. I booked my photographer 18 months ago, he was one of the first vendors I secured. Then last week he called and made arrangements to meet up in a couple of weeks for test shots and discussions, all great. Then last night out of the blue he calls to say he is winding up his business and wont be available to do the wedding anymore. I cant claim on the insurance as he isn't insolvent or bankrupt and he has offered me my deposit back. Problem is now I have to find a new photographer at short notice within my original budget which is impossible!!!

We have a very talented friend who has offered to do the shots which is lucky but we have spent so much on the wedding i'm worried about getting the quality. so angry right now i'm not sure what to say? It seems like he wants us to feel sorry for him but the fact is he must of known this situation was coming? why did he make arrangements last week if he was looking to wind up? grrrrrrrrr?

14 replies

Latest activity by Jayne E, 28 of August of 2015 at 12:37
  • Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

Did you have any sort of written contract with him.

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

First thing obviously is ring round everyone and see if you can find a replacement photographer. Fingers crossed that someone has called their wedding off and someone who would otherwise be booked is now free.

then I think look at whether you had a contract and whether it's possible to sue him in the small claims court for any extra you have to find for a more expensive supplier.

where are you based.

• BubbleBees
    Beginner August 2015
    BubbleBees ·
    • Hide content

How annoying!

First question - have you paid anything other than the deposit? If that is all you've paid and he is returning it there's nothing your insurance can do. If you've paid anything further, I'd double check that directly with your insurer - he's out of business which shouldn't (I'd think) be restricted to bankruptcy or insolvency).

Second question, as JayneE mentions, have you a contract? It doesn't need to be signed or an official contract. A body of emails agreeing terms (I believe) should be sufficient.

Third Question would be budget, date, and location? There are tonnes of future and former brides here, as well as photographers who might be able to recommend someone who might have availability.

Good luck. Smiley smile

• B
    Bruce Neville Photography ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Really sorry to hear this, it is becoming common now when photographers realise their business cant make enough money when they are charging a low price, I take it he was charging a low price by what you said about budget.

As BubbleBees said we need to know your budget, date and location then someone might be able to help.

• It Must Be Love Wedding Photography
    It Must Be Love Wedding Photography ·
    • Hide content

Wow, that is completely unprofessional and I'm really sorry he's put you in that position. But try not to panic. All is not lost. At least he's given back your deposit and you can use it to find another photographer asap. I'm sure someone on here can help xx

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

Even if someone is available but more money you may decide that's fine or you may be able to have someone for less time. Don't panic too much just yet. X

• T
    Beginner October 2015
    tiltedsanity ·
    • Hide content

Thanks all,

I have calmed down now. My wedding is on Sat 10th of October and he was doing a full day for £500. My insurance cant help but citizens advice have given me some ideas if I can't find a replacement or I have a massive expense. Have been calling round and have an appointment this evening with a new photographer who is free (due to a cancellation on his end) and has agreed to look at what he can do for within our budget.

Its just so maddening that I'm sure he had an idea of what was coming and he still continued as normal. He still has both his Facebook and website live for inquiries and I'm hoping he isn't lying and has just received a better job for that day. If I suspect that is the case I will definitely be taking legal action.

The contract was fairly vague about his liability when cancelling. Should he continue trading I will have a solicitor look at it. Thanks all, I know its not the end of the world but planning for 18 months I thought I had most things under control!!

xx

• artisanwedding.co.uk
    artisanwedding.co.uk ·
    • Hide content

We've have heard more than a few cases of this recently Smiley sad I'm really sorry to hear about it, as it gives our profession such a bad name.

I know it's not much consolation, but at least it's not the night before. You shouldn't have trouble getting another photographer sorted in time.

Pete and Emily x

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It sounds odd that if he is packing it all in and yet he still has those open. Send him an email from a different email address and say you are looking for May next year and your budget is £1000, see what happens.

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

I was just going to suggest getting a friend to contact him with a prospective booking see what he says also.

Good luck with the alternative photographer.

• L
    Beginner July 2016
    Little_MrsA2B ·
    • Hide content

I'm sorry this has happened to you. Hope you can get it sorted in time. What's the name of the company? I'm an insolvency practitioner so deal with solvent and insolvent situations. Either way I should be able to find out the status of the company for you if that's any help for your insurance.

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

It "could" be that he has a better offer for your date.....totally unprofessional if that is the case.

As mentioned, what area are you in. I know a few togs around the Uk that might be able to help, although the location is key.....

Peter

• L
    Beginner October 2014
    LalaC1988 ·
    • Hide content

Aww that's my date a year later than mine :-) I was Saturday 11th October have a wonderful day.

Just a bit of reassurance of using a ameture if need be hubby's uncle did ours and he's nothing more than a hobby tog whose done a few weddings and they was quite frankly fabulous

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

That sounds great and could be a way to save money. BUT as it was a relative doing it for you they are not going to want to let you down in any way.

We dont know if the posters shooter is a real professional or not, but £500 for all day and meet up in a couple of weeks for test shots are two things that I would not link to a professional

So whats wrong with a non pro shooter?. As may of been demonstrated here (we dont know yet) and quite a few simiular issues reported on this forum - a part time shooter with another full time job does not have the same reputation to maintain as a pro and as such may not attach the same customer care as a pro may. We see words used like "very unprofessional" and 80% of the time its because they were not a professional in the first place, its a hard ask to expect the same level of service from a part time shooter as that of a full time pro.

To the OP if you let us know where you are and if your wedding is in Leicestershire I would love to help you out

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

Did you get yourself sorted with a replacement tog? Hope you've sorted it.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics