Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

N
Beginner November 2011

My Wedding is ruined - 7 weeks before my big day

NadPaul, 23 of September of 2011 at 23:05 Posted on Planning 0 30

Dear all

I need a bridal moan I'm afraid ladies! I am supposed to be getting married on 12 November 2011, went to pay my final money to venue on Wednesday and finalise a few last minute bits only to be told that the package I had originally been sold does not exist and they wanted £3500 more! If not, we would have to be out of the venue by 6:00pm, I would not have dressed tables, I would have little tables that seat four, that I could not use my own chair covers as originally agreed, that I have no evening reception (all that was included in the package was the DJ the rest we were paying for as extras). The lady that sold us the original package has left and I have looked into this and found out that we have totally been stitched up! It is nothing to do with the lady that has left (the venue are blaming her) it is them trying to get more money out of us! Legally we do not have a leg to stand on. Our package is on one piece of paper and the contract is on a different one and neither is on headed paper. We have had our deposit back (well it's not in our account yet) and are currently in talks with a new venue but please please let this be a warning to you. Make sure you check and double check everything and that absolutely everything agreed is written down on headed paper and signed by both yourselves and your venue. I am not prepared to name and shame as yet (not until I got my money back anyway) and I am not sure it is allowed on this site either but I really hope that none of you other brides ever experience this because it is heartbreaking. xxxx

30 replies

Latest activity by shellsworth, 27 of September of 2011 at 15:42
  • jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

That is awful, I can't get my head around how this could happen I really don't know what to say. I hope you can get something sorted in time for your big day and then after focus your energy on tackling this totally unprofessional venue that has caused you all this stress so that they cannot do it again to anybody else. Do you have insurance/pay by credit card would it cover any of your losses.

Let us know how you get on ?

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

Out of curiosity I wonder if they have taken another booking and trying to get out of it by doing this. I would get a friend to try and book for the same day just to see if it is booked (sorry just my mind working overtime playing detective) but I wouldn't put it past them to try it on just to get more money.

• Vee Tee
    Beginner April 2012
    Vee Tee ·
    • Hide content

OMG how awful, I am so so sorry!

How heartbreaking. I wish you all the best in getting another venue and all your money back. The minute you do, then please please name and shame this venue in the local press in magaznes whatever, you have to stop them doing this to others.

xxx

• cara.jayne
    Beginner October 2013
    cara.jayne ·
    • Hide content

Go to a local newspaper and tell them, as well as giving the venue bad press it may help you as local wedding venues/planners may offer to help out. The venue will be so scared of the bad press they may offer you a dael. hope everything sorts out for you xxxx

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content

That is unbelievable who wants tables that seat 4! I am amazed anyone would risk the bad publicity from ruining a wedding day

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content

That's awful. Hope you manage to get something else sorted. x

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

That is disgusting. I hope you manage to get some compensation.

What area are you in maybe some Hitchers can help.

• N
    Beginner November 2011
    NadPaul ·
    • Hide content

Thank you all so much. I don't think it has completely hit me yet if you can understand that and I'm absolutely shattered as I'm not sleeping. We think we have found a new venue and will have everything confirmed on Monday (hopefully)! They know what has happened to us and were amazing when we turned up on Thursday to see them, me a jibbering wreck and my OH wanting to kill someone! It is going to mean we go over budget (our previous package was a last minute thing as we only booked it in July) but I have literally planned the whole wedding in four weeks and have everything ready other than the kids suits! My dress is hanging up at my aunties and literally everything is done! My suppliers have been amazing and have just put everything on hold until we confirm a new venue or new date and are not charging us any stupid admin fees or anything. There are going to be a few bits that we now need that we didn't before but I won't know until Monday and it's going to cos us double what we paid before but hey ho! I just can't believe this is happening! The old venue even had to cheek to offer me and OH a free Christmas meal as a way of compensation! I so wanted to tell them what to do with it but just kept my cool. Until all my guest get there money back in their accounts and my deposit money hits ours I have keep a lid of things! However, there is this crazy lady burning inside me that is waiting to be released! God help them when I let her escape!!!!!!! Thank you all for your kind words and messages xxxx

• Wedding Photographer
    Wedding Photographer ·
    • Hide content

Where are you in the UK?

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

Fingers crossed it all goes well on Monday.

• Sparkles82
    Beginner April 2013
    Sparkles82 ·
    • Hide content

I know you have already sorted a new place (hopefully) but just incase anyone else experiences similar, I have a small nugget of advise. A Similar thing happened to my brother - a week before his wedding. His wasnt big by any means, but the restaurant he was supposed to have decided at the last minute that they wouldnt close the restaurant and wouldnt allow him to put any decorations/cakestand/do speeches etc.

He found another restaurant that had only just opened, so had no wedding bookings and they were fantastic. So, if anyone does happen to find themselves in this situation - try and think of somewhere quite new that wont be booked up in advance.

Good Luck, I hope you get it sorted.

xxxx

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

Very sensible to wait til all the money is returned, but anniepie's suggestion is a good one. How awful. I hope your new place is brilliant!

• Chris Giles Photography
    Chris Giles Photography ·
    • Hide content

I'd be really p***** if that happened to me.

• vicster
    Beginner December 2011
    vicster ·
    • Hide content

Just wanted to say how awful that is!! you sound like you are coping really well. good luck for Monday

• PompeyEm
    Beginner September 2011
    PompeyEm ·
    • Hide content

OMG That's awful! Wishing you the best of luck in sorting something out. I'm a believer in karma and these things happen for a reason so I hope you find your silver lining in that cloud (and the orignal company goes out of business!)

x

• Michelle772012
    Beginner July 2012
    Michelle772012 ·
    • Hide content

Like pompeyem lets hope karma gets them hopefully the new venue will turn out to be exactly what you wanted without realising it, and as annipie said once you have your money back make whats hapopened public good luck xx

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

I am intrigued why the venue was prepared to lose a booking. They must have lost £1000s unless they had another wedding or similar lined up......

• Jason Clark DJ
    Jason Clark DJ ·
    • Hide content

Hi - I've just read this, and hope everything goes well on Monday. It sounds like like the venue has behaved in a disgusting manner.

The last thing you need is suppliers cancelling, or not honouring their original contract.

I'm glad to hear your other suppliers are being helpful. Do you have the venues cancellation in writing (you should insist on this) If you have the time, I'd suggest a visit to trading standards or citizens advice.

Best Wishes,

Jason

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

It certainly doesn't...I wonder which area the couple are in and which venue...

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content

And if I am reading this right, your guests had booked rooms and are trying to get their deposits back too. Any chance they had a better offer for the day i.e. famous person. If so they even more deserve to be named in the press.

• Recycledbride
    Beginner June 2012
    Recycledbride ·
    • Hide content

This is shocking treatment, I don't know how you are coping so well. Sound advice from Anniepie. I would definitely get as much publicity as you can, their treatment of you so close to your wedding is despicable.

• L
    Beginner July 2012
    libracat ·
    • Hide content

Thats awful, I hope your new venue is amazing and that your day is not ruined by the stupid original venue.

x

• M
    Beginner August 2015
    MrsCS2b ·
    • Hide content

Just wanted to wish you luck with your situation and hope all gets sorted for you in time for your big day.

• S
    Beginner April 2012
    shellsworth ·
    • Hide content

:o I had to read your first post twice!

I'm so so sorry for you! hopefully your new venue is much better anyway!!

Keep us posted! xx

• elegancegroup
    elegancegroup ·
    • Hide content

Oh my gosh! How awful. I do hope you have managed to sort something out today. x

• B
    Beginner September 2013
    Banner ·
    • Hide content

I really hope you got something sorted today. I feel for you both so much! If you need any help with any last minute planning like getting new contacts for Im sure we can all do something to help!

• S
    Beginner May 2013
    sgreen ·
    • Hide content

God, that is awful.

I just don't know how some people sleep at night.

At least you are getting the desposit back. I hope you can find somewhere else.

x

• S
    Beginner April 2012
    shellsworth ·
    • Hide content

Any news on this today? Smiley sad

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics