Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

alex86
Beginner June 2011

Naff or not??

alex86, 14 October, 2009 at 15:56 Posted on Planning 0 11

Hey guys, I haven't been on here for a while as I've decided to put wedding planning on the back-burner, but I came across an idea the other day that I'd like your opinions on....

One of the things that I've been worrying about at the reception is the first dance as H2B does not under any circumstance whatsoever dance! Watching 4 Weddings the other day one of the brides had a conga line for her first dance. Now all of the other brides (and my mum!) thought it was incredibly naff, but I actually thought it's not too bad an idea. H2B and I met in a club doing the conga, he got hold of my hips and refused to let go for the rest of the evening! (never thought that was how I'd meet The One, but never mind!) Perhaps if we explain to everyone the significance of the conga beforehand, and do it later in the evening after everyone's had a few drinks and are more inclined to join in? And hell, why not through in some "Oops upside your head" for good measure??!

So what do you think, too naff, or could we get away with it??

11 replies

Latest activity by Mrs S*, 14 October, 2009 at 19:17
  • woo-woo
    Beginner
    woo-woo ·
    • Hide content

I think you could definately get away with it as it's how you met!

• kj82
    Beginner December 2010
    kj82 ·
    • Hide content

Why not start by dancing to a 'normal' first dance song for half a minute then break out into the conga!!!

• W
    Beginner July 2010
    WendyQ ·
    • Hide content

I think it's a brilliant idea, completely original and gets everyone in the party spirit!

• C
    Beginner May 2011
    Curly Panda ·
    • Hide content

That sounds like so much fun!

• GeordieBarbie
    Beginner May 2010
    GeordieBarbie ·
    • Hide content

We're not having a traditional first dance either.

Although D likes to dance, he doesn't really want to dance in front of people and we think it's kinda wierd that you get the party started with a slow song.... Plus, we want to make a big exit so we've decided to do our big sloppy dance at the end of the night - just before we leave (about 30 minutes before the end of the night)

The night we met I got him up to dance to Reach by S Club 7 (complete with actions!) so we've decided to have that as our "first dance" song to start the evening off. It feels appropriate that the first ever song we danced to is our first married couple dance song! Then we're having Elton John's "Something about the way you look tongight" as out "last dance" song. We're going to get the DJ to play it about 11.00pm/11.30pm, dance to it and then at the end have him announce we're leaving so that everyone can wave us off and we go out on a high (rather than being the last ones out the door with not many people left) :o)

• teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

Mother started a conga at the end of our evening... but I aint sure that guests would have been up for that at the beginning (letting food settle and not had that much to drink to get up and do it!)

I think your OH is going to have to bite the bullet and get used to a shuffle around. The first dance is about the couple opening the floor for the night its not always about the first dance being ONLY you guys. You can dance for a minute and then let the band/dj invite the rest of the wedding party up.

Ours was a disaster. The bestman and CBM joined us and that was it, I thought maybe the ushers would have grabbed our mothers but nooooo.... was the longest dance of my life. And thats saying something for a very short song by two people who like dancing!

• moomin8804
    Beginner July 2009
    moomin8804 ·
    • Hide content

I think it's a bit naff to be honest!

Neither me nor H can dance, so we just shuffled around to music for our first dance ?

• 1Lucie
    Beginner May 2011
    1Lucie ·
    • Hide content

I dont neccessarily think its naff but i think i would be a little upset i hadnt had a proper first dance!

• The BFG
    Beginner August 2010
    The BFG ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That is a fab idea!!! i think people would really enjoy that and take to it better than just starting out with the conga!!

• Teri_M
    Teri_M ·
    • Hide content

I think it's a very sweet and sentimental idea actually. You could have your husband mention in his speech how you guys met,, that you congaed your way into his heart,, etc. And then start the dance like it's going to be one of those 'stand and sway' thingies,, then have the music change to something you could conga to, with your wedding party reaady to join in, which would get everyone congoing,, I love it!

• Bridget Gump
    Bridget Gump ·
    • Hide content

I'm a bit confused.

If you don't do the conga first, but later on in the night, then it's not a 'first dance' substitute. So you're still in the same situation as you started with. I don't think that's a problem at all, and if you (or your OH) don't want to do a first dance then you don't have to. At any other non-wedding party the DJ starts playing and people start dancing, there's no need to open the floor.

I think the conga would work well as a first dance as everyone will then be on the dance floor. I'd also get your H to mention how you met in his speech so that everyone knows the relevance.

• Mrs S*
    Beginner January 2010
    Mrs S* ·
    • Hide content

Naff, by all means conga later, but stand there shuffling your feel holding hands for 3 mins and after a min get people up!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics