Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

BrideMrsT2B
Beginner June 2011

Nails - Gel Overlays or Biosculpting??

BrideMrsT2B, 12 March, 2011 at 17:48 Posted on Planning 0 12

Hi Ladies,

Need some nail help please. My natural nails are quite short, don't usually grow over the end of my fingertip IYKWIM so I normally go for acrylic nail extensions. The only thing is the nail place I go to don't seem to get it quite right as I don't like having long nails, I just want a better shape, more strength and a french manicure finish. So normally I ask for as short as possible which they then look at me strangely for having the extension tips put on.

So...are gel overlays literally a layer of gel over your natural nail with no tips involved? This is the kind of thing i'm after but not sure if i'm asking for the right thing?

Thanks ?

12 replies

Latest activity by Mellow_Yellow, 13 March, 2011 at 11:37
  • MrsBear2b
    Beginner August 2011
    MrsBear2b ·
    • Hide content

Have you tried acrylic? You can have it as just an overlay straight onto your nail to make it stronger, they don't need to stick a false nail on either. So you can get it as short as you want.

• SecretSquirrel123
    Beginner August 2012
    SecretSquirrel123 ·
    • Hide content

I have bio sculpture on my nails and I love it. They can build up the length a little if you like, or if you have them now they'll keep your nails strong so they'll grow naturally before your wedding Smiley smile I used to have acrylics but when I had them taken off my natural nail was ruined underneath Smiley sad

• N
    Beginner August 2011
    Noodle2Be ·
    • Hide content

I have just started with Biosculpture Gel and they are fab. They are just like having nail varnish on, which lasts for about 3 weeks-fab. Also, your natural nails aren't destroyed by them.

• GemmaLouise1986
    Beginner
    GemmaLouise1986 ·
    • Hide content

Definitely recommend biosculpture/calgel. I have this done every fortnight.

It's much better for your nails and if you have it on a couple of times your nails will grow out and look fab (they don't break with gel on).

• BrideMrsT2B
    Beginner June 2011
    BrideMrsT2B ·
    • Hide content

Yeah I only want it for the wedding. I've recently had ascrylic extensions for my friends wedding and they got on my nerves about 2 days later because I don't like having long nails.

Definately like the sound of gel overlays so just looking for a salon near me that'll do it now!

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

Hijacking thread, sorry! Is this sort of thing expensive? I have real problems growing my nails without them breaking and I don't really like the look of falsies so want to find some sort of compromise that isn't going to break the bank!

• stripeyrache
    Beginner February 2011
    stripeyrache ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It probably depends where you are in the country (I am in the South) as I'm sure the price will vary, but I have BioSculpture and the initial overlay is £30, then I have to have them infilled every 3 weeks or so which is £25. I have them french, so the growth doesn't notice as much as with a solid colour.

It is totally better than acrylic though, as the gel is just painted over your natural nail which continues to grow underneath. When I do have it removed completely my nails are still strong. Had my infills done today in fact!!

• GemmaLouise1986
    Beginner
    GemmaLouise1986 ·
    • Hide content

Really depends where you live re the price.

I live in Yorkshire and I pay £25 every two weeks for a full fresh set of biosculpture or calgel nails (whichever colour I'm in the mood for!)

• BrideMrsT2B
    Beginner June 2011
    BrideMrsT2B ·
    • Hide content

Well i've been looking in my area and prices seem to be around £30 but go up to £40 so definately more expensive than acrylic extensions but i'm defo gonna go for gel bio sculpting as it seems a lot nicer on your natural nails from what ive found on the internet.

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

Ooh that's not too bad. Might have to give it a whirl. My poor nails get a lot of abuse at work so I need to do something to make them pretty/stronger!

• SaSaSi
    Beginner July 2012
    SaSaSi ·
    • Hide content

I keep my nails short with wearing contact lenses + I get the gel overlays on my own nails - no extensions or sculpting. When I get them french manicured I just get the beautician to paint a white strip, even though there is no tip on my nails if that makes sense? Makes my nails look longer + I can trim them as they grow + still have a white strip - no one has ever noticed anything! Looks the part Lol .

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WSS!

My nails are also short and my friend who is a beautician said that I should get CalGel nails a month before the wedding, and then have them redone a few days before hand. Basically, it's a gel nail polish which just gets painted straight on to your nail and lasts between 4 - 6 weeks. She said that having it done a month before the wedding means that my nails underneath will not break because the gel is so strong. Then if I get them redone a few days before the wedding, they will definitely see me through my 2weeks honeymoon. The gel is not harmful to the nails like acrylic is.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics