Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner July 2012

Nails - professional or DIY?

maxinegallie, 22 June, 2012 at 22:00 Posted on Planning 0 12

Hi hitchers,

I'm fairly sure I will do my own nails for the wedding, 4 weeks now so having to consider all these little details (headache time). Much as I'd love my nails done properly, I don't really have the budget for it. Would having a pale/neutral type colour on my nails look ok? Most people seem to have french manicure but I would be painting them myself in one plain colour.

If it's any help, I do have strong, healthy nails that I can easily file into shape.

12 replies

Latest activity by Dana_leigh, 24 June, 2012 at 21:59
  • V
    Beginner April 2013
    Vintage84 ·
    • Hide content

I think a pale neutral colour is really classy and to be honest, if you've always been happy with the result of a DIY polish then I think it's an unnecessary expense. I'll be doing my own nails and will probably opt for a single colour because I don't think I could get my hands to stop shaking long enough to do a neat french polish!

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

If you went to a beauty salon, what would you have? Just someone else paint polish on your nails (maybe with a hand massage thrown in for good measure!)?

I'm not keen on french manicures anyway, so I'd go for a neautral pink/beige at home or at a salon.

IF you go to a salon, choose something like shellac. It goes on like a polish but it dried under UV, and will not chip for days and days (14 days actually is what they say). So it's a polish but better!

But if you are half decent and doing your own, and don't chip them on everything (like me) then go for a DIY mani. Every little helps!

• Tizzie
    Beginner June 2012
    Tizzie ·
    • Hide content

I'm just doing a quick coat of clear polish but if you want just one colour ie not a french manicure, anything intricate etc, you could do it yourself if you couldnt afford to go to a salon, but ive heard shellac is really good if you have the money.

S x

• 50's pin up bride
    Beginner July 2012
    50's pin up bride ·
    • Hide content

I'm having shellac - I had it for my hen do (a fortnight ago) and it's STILL flawless now, and I have been riding, mucking out, gardening, doing DIY, pulling staples out of wood with my nails only etc - ie I have hammered them completely, and they still haven't chipped. I'm really impressed with them. I'm going to have them done again sometimes next week, as they also help protect nails and are stopping me biting them in the run up to the wedding! Then I'll have them redone the day before, and they'll last all honeymoon. And THEN I'll have to come to terms with the fact I can't always have them done for ever more!

• 50's pin up bride
    Beginner July 2012
    50's pin up bride ·
    • Hide content

Price wise, when I got them done at one salon they were £17; for the wedding, they'd usually be £20 (different salon) but as I'm getting other pre-wedding beauty stuff (toes filed and painted, facial, shoulder massage) then I get a discount.

• HLT
    Beginner August 2012
    HLT ·
    • Hide content

50s Pin Up Bride - just out of interest, what colour are you going for? I also had a Shellac polish done recently and was so impressed I bought the kit myself but havent chosen a colour to order for the wedding yet. X

• T
    Beginner March 2013
    The future Mrs O ·
    • Hide content

If you're going for DIY you should try Essie - ballet slippers. It's the most gorgeous natural looking polish and last well on the nails. I've just done mine tonight Smiley smile you can now get Essie polishes in boots for £8 xxx

• 50's pin up bride
    Beginner July 2012
    50's pin up bride ·
    • Hide content

HLT - I'm going 'wildfire' which is a bright red. I have bright red shoes and bits on my dress though, and lipstick, so it all works together!

• sian-tiffany
    Beginner May 2012
    sian-tiffany ·
    • Hide content

I had Shellac too, i tested it on my hen do just to be sure and lasted ages - even on my honeymoon. I paid £25 but that was for a manicure and Shellac polish.

• O
    Beginner August 2012
    olderbride ·
    • Hide content

I have acrylic nail extensions on which I normally have ordinary nail polish. However i have tried the shellac and it lasts absolutely ages! Even longer on acrylic nails.

Obvously it is more costly than ordinary nail polish but I am going to treat myself for the wedding so that it will stay lovely for the honeymoon. I am going to have a very pale pink colour i think. Cost wise I think the shellac is about £20 incliding the manicure

• Hawk
    Beginner September 2012
    Hawk ·
    • Hide content

Http://www.ciate.co.uk/caviar-mancure-set-mother-of-pearl.html

I'm doing mine myself and doing this.

• Dana_leigh
    Beginner August 2013
    Dana_leigh ·
    • Hide content

I'm too wondering about this...I normally cut all my nails off and buy false ones which usually look fine....but I always seem to have one or two fall off no matter how much I spend on the nails.....Though they normally last a day because they either fall of right away or wait!

Also my nails are all funny lengths and dont grow straight, as in some one curves wonky on one hand and on the other one bends at the end, looking like a talon when longer so just painting for my big day is not an option...

I'm trying to decide between getting false tips done for the day or just getting my normal falsies and being extra careful with them

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics