Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Bride2b2020
Beginner September 2020

Name change - double-barrelled?

Bride2b2020, 16 of December of 2019 at 20:25 Posted on Planning 0 1

Hi, I'm just looking a bit of advice on my name change.

So I was going to change to a double-barrelled surname, keeping my maiden name and adding my hubby to be's surname on. Reason being I have a wee girl to a previous relationship who I gave my maiden name to when born. I wanted to keep my name so she doesn't have a different name to us when we get married, thinking of when we travel etc as well. She herself would love to change her name to her step-dad's too but I don't think her own dad would allow it.

I realise she is 9 and will be changing her name some day in the future when she hopefully gets married herself so it wouldn't matter.

Has anyone any experience with this or could advise me on what to do or how to decide? Any help would be much appreciated! X

1 replies

Latest activity by Nathalie@ButtercupBus_Campervan_Weddings, 6 of January of 2020 at 16:40
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

Hitched has a very helpful article giving all the options here https://www.hitched.co.uk/wedding-planning/organising-and-planning/changing-your-name/

As long as all three of you are happy, I really don't think it matters with what name you end up with. There's no right or wrong answer. But it sounds as if your daughter would like her name to at least partially matches your new name, so the double-barrel idea might be good for her.

• Nathalie@ButtercupBus_Campervan_Weddings
    Nathalie@ButtercupBus_Campervan_Weddings ·
    • Hide content

This is something that I did - the mechanics on actually changing name were pretty easy. My usband changed his name by deed poll prior to the wedding (to a double-barrell name). When our wedding day came, I then acquired the double barrell name.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics