Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Helenia
Beginner September 2011

Name change - who to tell and when?

Helenia, 6 September, 2011 at 11:43 Posted on Planning 0 10

I've got a list of people I need to tell (partly stolen from old Hitched threads and partly from me). Thing is, as I'll only have two copies of the certificate, I won't be able to change them all at once. Who are the most important ones to tell and should be done first? Also, if I send off my marriage cert, should I enclose an SAE to make sure it comes back? Have I missed anything?

List so far:

Employer

Inland Revenue (obtain your reference and address from your employer).

Department of Health & Social Security (write to the Contributions Agency at your local Social Security Office).

Doctor

Dentist.

DVLA.

Passport Office

Bank.

Credit card

Student loan company

Car insurance

Contents insurance

Accident insurance

AA (the car one, not Alcoholics Anonymous!)

GMC

BMA

E-mail/internet provider

Phone company

Southwark Council

Electricity company

Water company

10 replies

Latest activity by *Nursey*, 6 September, 2011 at 16:25
  • (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content

I am naughty, I have been married 6 weeks and not changed a thing. I think the most important are your bank details, your driving license and your mortgage details. You have to send the original marriage cert off to each of these so you'll only be able to do one at a time,

• SoonToBeMrsH
    Beginner January 2012
    SoonToBeMrsH ·
    • Hide content

Oh my good God!! I didn't even think how many I'd need to send it to! pffft!!

*Mutters as adds MORE jobs to the "TO DO" list*

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

I should also point out that I sign my name about 50 times a day - can I just start signing with the new name or do I need to make sure that my hospital's HR and the GMC have me registered in my new name?

• 1234ABC
    Beginner
    1234ABC ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

? That was my reaction too! - I am assuming that i need to change everything that has my name on it. I'm leaving my passport though because it's not long since i got it and i'm allowed to use it with my maiden name.

• N
    Beginner
    nexxsteps ·
    • Hide content

Just to say inland revenue (HMRC) and social security can be done online at HMRCs website

My car insurance didn't need any copy of marriage certificates to change

and my credit cards only needed a copy of the marriage certificate

hope that helps!

• Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content

I changed my surname by deed-poll a while back. I was worried as I only had one original, but as a solicitor did it, they took about 5 copies and stamped them all 'Certified copy'. They were accepted by my bank, car insurance, etc. I only had to send the original for my passport & DVLA.

• Toastcat
    Beginner April 2012
    Toastcat ·
    • Hide content

Related to this - I presume that you sign the marriage register in your "new" name, if you're changing - but I wasn't planning on flying to our honeymoon in my new name, as I thought it would be a bit of a hassle. Is this likely to be a problem?

• spikeygoodness
    Beginner
    spikeygoodness ·
    • Hide content

You sign the marriage certificate in your old name. I don't think it matters which name you book your honeymoon under as long as it matches your passport, so if you're not changing your passport before the wedding you need to book in your old name.

• M
    Beginner April 2011
    mrsrh* ·
    • Hide content

Things like phone company, water company, email/internet provider, credit card can all wait until you get your certificates back and bills arrive in, etc.

Passport - if you have more than 1 year left on your current one, i'd wait til it has a year left as they charge you a full passport fee to change your name.

Inland Revenue/social security can be done online.

The main one's i did first were the bank, dvla, driving licence, insurance policies, mortgage.

Dentists i waited til my next check up after getting married - they didn't require any id/certificate. Doctors i rang up a within a few weeks of the wedding, again they didn't require any id/certificate.

Council tax i rang up and they changed it over the phone. Did this one early on as my husband and i were wanting to open a joint account to pay in some large cheques into (wedding gifts) and banks use the electoral roll as ID for your name and address.

Some will accept your word, some require the original document, some are happy with a photocopy.

One piece of advise - if you are able to, make a day of calling in at your bank & mortgage company (and any others possible) as they will photocopy your certificate for you and get to keep the certificate without worry of losing it.

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

My passport already expired in April - I deliberately didn't renew it as I didn't want to have to pay twice! I think that will be one of my first things, alongside the HMRC/work-based stuff.

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You're not allowed to sign professionally in your new name until it is changed with the professional body (in my case, NMC). Disappointing stuff!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics