Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

HatTrick
Beginner September 2010

Nectar, Clubcards etc...

HatTrick, 16 January, 2012 at 21:51 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 34

Do you use them?

I usually do our big shop at Asda but go to the local Sainsbury's at least once a week. I must have at least 20 Nectar cards that I always pick up at the checkout with the intention of registering them and usuing them regularly but it never happens. We sometimes use Tesco too, H often gets a meal deal from there if I have been a bad wife and not made him any lunch.

Do the points ever add up to anything worth bothering with? Am I missing out?

34 replies

Latest activity by 3d jewellery, 18 January, 2012 at 08:04
  • MrsPenguin
    Beginner September 2011
    MrsPenguin ·
    • Hide content

I collect nectar points - never cash them in though. I've got about 24000 points, so think I can get a eurostar trip or something which seems good, but then I've had my card for 10 years - so possibly not that good!

* edit - this has just made me go online and check - website says it's worth £123 - for 10 years collecting!

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content

Wow that's a lot. I bet I'm not far off that with my stash of unregistered cards ?

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ok so maybe it's not as impressive as it sounded ?

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

I collect Nectar points but find Sainsburys really stingy with points and coupons. I prefer tesco as we get so many clubcard vouchers and coupons. We save up the vouchers and buy our wine at Christmas when they double their value.

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content

Doesn't look like I'm missing out on much then. I'd rather go to Asda and save the dosh than pay a little extra and have some points on a card.

• MrsPenguin
    Beginner September 2011
    MrsPenguin ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Gutted! [:'(]

Although - I can get £122 off a Eurostar ticket - any idea how much a Eurostar trip costs?

Think I'll stick to Boots - at least I get a free shop there once in a while.

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

Sainsburys points aren't great but I think Tesco are good. Somehow always end up in sainsburys though!

• BumbleBrat
    BumbleBrat ·
    • Hide content

I get excited by clubcard vouchers coming in the post.. But I don't get much cos I don't spend much on shopping. I have a whole £9.50 worth of coupons to use on my next shopping trip.

Oh I use Boots advantage card too. Quite decent discounts sometimes.

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ah now I do have a Boots card! And a Matalan card although I have no idea what that's for, when I asked the cashier she said it was so I would be informed of new sales ?

• B
    Beginner September 2014
    BigRedCandle ·
    • Hide content

I have a Clubcard and a Nectar card but we shop at Asda... I use my Clubcard for petrol at Tesco and try to nag Mr R into remembering to do it too, we usually end up with maybe £15-£20 each quarter (which is quickly spent on junk) but I definitely think that you get more with a Clubcard than a Nectar card.

I have a Clubcard app on my phone and i excitedly check it most days "ooh!! SIX POUNDS BABE!! Think what we could buy with that!!!"

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

Clubcard absolutley - I recently got up to about £70 in vouchers which meant OH's kindle @ xmas cost me about £19!!! Also just got a tesco credit card which means I can now collect extra points on everything I buy even if not in tescos (note-this is only a good plan if you pay it off every month!)

Nectar - yes but don't think I have many points as we don't use sainsburys much, but I collect the points anyhoo.

Boots - Yes got this one, don't collect as many points as I used to but it's nice to get a free shop every now and again!

Matalan - this isn't a points card its more a weird kind of membership thing. They recently sent me a new shiny black card as a special member but I'm pretty sure that it's exactly the same as the old one just a nice shiny new one that makes me feel special and shop more....(cynical much?!)

Costa - collect points here too and have enough for a free hot choc now!

HMV - got one of these with a few points on it but no clue how you reedem them or what they are worth...?

Ikea family card - apart from free tee/coffee on weekdays not sure what this does?!

Is it any suprise I recently had to get a new purse thats almost as big as my handbag?!

• B
    Beginner April 2008
    BRIAN1986 ·
    • Hide content

That would be a good idea!

• SassyT
    Beginner August 2013
    SassyT ·
    • Hide content

I just collect Clubcard points, Boots points and GAME points (we're a big family of gamers!)

Tesco gets swapped for our annual Blackpool illuminations weekend for the kids (tickets for the tower and pleasure beach). Game and boots points both get saved up through the year and spent on Christmas

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Care to elaborate? Your posts seem pretty vague...

• Nenas
    Beginner March 2012
    Nenas ·
    • Hide content

We have a nectar card that we use for our weekly sainsburys shop. over a year we save up about £60-70 worth of points, so when we do a big shop around that time we pay off the shop with the points, and then use the money we would have spent to treat ourselves to a nice meal out (we don't eat out much so its a nice treat for us).

• jen_84
    Beginner August 2012
    jen_84 ·
    • Hide content

We do our main shop at Tesco and manage to get about £15 of vouchers every quarter which add up to a fair amount - they last for about 2 years, so plenty of time to save them up. We bought OHs wedding ring with them and have also been on a weekend away using them. Nectar points, as others have said, don't add up as quickly but I often nip in on my way home from work or for petrol. We usually manage to get about £20 worth of points over 6 months which we usually spend in Homebase on things for the house. If I'm lucky OH will let me buy pretty things rather than paint or coving!

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content

Tesco clubcard points offer the best value for your £. Plus, you can exchange them for reward vouchers worth 4 times the value. I recently did this with Goldsmiths (although these have dropped back to 3 times the value now), to buy a lovely pair of earrings for my ma and an Armani watch for my pa as a wedding thank you gift.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

I collect Tesco points, which Boy swaps for American Golf vouchers (4 x value). I collect Boots points and get maybe £100 a year. I collect Waterstones points but no idea how many I've accrued.

• Nenas
    Beginner March 2012
    Nenas ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Waterstones are pretty good i think. I don't collect much at all, hardly ever buy stuff from there, but went in the other day to get a NY guide book for honeymoon and the lady at the till said i had enough to buy the book with my points - it was about £10! May not seem like much but given i hardly ever use it i thought it wasn't bad!

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content

I rarely shop at Tesco but have a club card and more often than not i get a £5 voucher when they send them out. I have a Nectar card as I usually fill up at Sainsbury's so collect points that way. Boots is my favourite though, I've got about £30 on mine at the mo due to sending all the work ink cartridges to be recycled, you get 100 points per cartridge!

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

HatTrick takes note! ?

• Natalie2011
    Beginner September 2012
    Natalie2011 ·
    • Hide content

We average £30 per quarter on Tesco Clubcard, it's great! I was sceptical, if it took me 5 years to ear a tenner, i wouldnt bother! It's Tesco clubcard that seems to "make a difference" ironically!

ETA damn it sainsburys tag line is "Taste the difference" not so ironic after all! Smiley sad humph

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

Clubcard do seem to be the best for collecting points but now we don't live anywhere near a Tesco so are not using the clubcard. Our choice is between Sainsbury's and Waitrose so 9/10 it's Sainsbury's and the nectar card. Have collected about a tenner's worth of points in a year and a half.

Don't forget though that you can collect Nectar points in loads of places, not just Sainsbury's. B&Q springs to mind plus there are other places, check the website for the full list.

We have a credit card with Lloyds and collect Airmiles, but now it's changed to Avios we're not keen any more. Have applied for a John Lewis Partnership card so we can collect points on there instead and get vouchers to spend in Waitrose/JL every now and again. We'll use them more than the 'days out' with Avios and we don't fancy having to pay loads in taxes etc on top of spending the points.

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

? Every little helps!

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

We don't have a Tesco or Sainsbury's near us. I shop at Morrisons which has no form of loyalty scheme.

I love the Boots points. I used to work in Boots and the amount of people who declined a card was huge - they always thought there was some kind of catch.

• D
    Beginner
    darkivy ·
    • Hide content

I love my clubcard points, I get cinema tickets and Pizza Express vouchers mainly which does save quite a bit of money...but then I do spend a fortune in Tesco, so it evens out I expect. Still nice to get a 'free' meal though!

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content

I think I'm going to switch my big shop to Tesco this month, sounds like their points build up quite quickly. I do have a clubcard app but it annoys me how you can't use it in the Tesco Express stores.

• Cilla
    Beginner April 2012
    Cilla ·
    • Hide content

I collect Nectar points throughout the year and then get my big Christmas shop with them.

I also collect Tesco points but never know how best to use them

• ButterflyChild
    Beginner May 2013
    ButterflyChild ·
    • Hide content

OH has a clubcard, I have a nectar card...I also have a boots card. We usually redeem our nectar points at Christmas, get a bit of shopping with it. Last year we got £40 off our shop! Mr Lauriel uses his clubcard if he fills up at their station, he then uses the vouchers for money off fuel. Love love love the advantage card though...I got £45 on mine at the mo ?

• P
    Beginner June 2012
    Pockers ·
    • Hide content

Tesco well worth it, I managed to get most of my kids christmas presents this year from there as you can double the points so I had £120 worth of points and got £120 of toys & £120 worth of clothes too. I would ditch asda and do tesco for the clbcard points!

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content

I always forget my Boots card. I have a nectar card which I use for online groceries and before cristmas I registered with nectar estores so if I go through that when I shop ie to Amazon or ebay I get points. H hardly uses his except occassionally and he got me a watch at Xmas from Argos. I like going into Sainsburys and taking them off my shopping when I want to buy something non grocery.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics